What's new

please help, I'm getting desparate... (1 Viewer)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
hello all...I purchased an older Sharp ATSC HD Tuner, I belive the model is "TU DTV1000"...i have Googled every possible combination of the names & cannot come up w/ ABY hint of how to operate the thing, or more importantly, an online or paper manual for the thing (i am the process of contacting sharp)...
it is an older HDTV receiver, & i hooked it up to my Samsung hdtv via component cables...i have NO antenna hooked up at the moment (no aerial yet), but shouldnt i at least be able to get a menu screen? on the back of the receiver are manual switches (3) - 1 for 480i/480p/1080i - chose 1080i 1 forrgb or component i believe, & one for s-video/yn/pcbr/br (spelling bad :))...i tried every combination of these switches & still nothing...any ideas? must an antenna be hooked up to get ANY signal, even a menu?
thanks MUCH in advance...my first foray into HDTV is going VERY badly so far :frowning:

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
I'm not familiar with that particular unit, but yes... you should be able to get menus without an antenna connected.

Are you sure you have menu-selected the proper component input on your Samsung TV? My Zenith has a gaggle of inputs (two antenna, several component, S-video, DVI, composite, front panel composite, etc) and selecting the correct one requires cycling through some menu options. One way to check this is to set your system up for DVD viewing; once you've verified that you have a picture, unplug the component cables from the DVD player and plug them into the ATSC tuner. Although recognize that DVDs are 480i (or 480p with a progressive scan player) and HDTV is typically 1080i.

It sounds like you have the correct cables (component) and format selection (1080i). But make sure you are mixing "apples and apples" for component connections. R-G-B and y-pb-pr are not the same thing.

Hope this helps

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
actually, i did exactly what you had mentioned...i left the component cables from my DVD player hooked to the tv & plugged them into the receiver instead, still nothing...im really hoping to find a manual for this thing, & also hoping i didnt buy a big ugly paperweight :)...
im guessing either the receiver is trashed, or it will not display any signal w/out a proper input attached (doubtful), or (most likely) i am unable to figure out the correct settings on the back dipswitches (there are 3 total)or the correct combination of settings...sad...
i certainly dont want to go & buy & install a large aerial antenna (unreturnable when assembled :frowning: ) & related stufff not knowing if the receiver even works...VERY frustrating...wish I was wealthy, I'd just get VOOM :) hehe

Jeff Whitford

Screenwriter
Why dont you set it to 480i and hook up a regular RCA style cable between the box and your set and see if you can see the menu that way. It may give you an idea of what the settings should be. Some Samsung sets have component inputs that are 480i only as well as a 480p/1080i input. So make sure when you are hooking it up that when you have the switchs set for 1080i that its plugged into the right input(on the set), thats its set for y,pr,pb.

Chester II

Stunt Coordinator
Anthony dude,

Did you buy this thing new? If so, then take it back and have them show you how to do it. If it's used/return then you now know why it was available.

Good luck dude,

Chester

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
naw, chester my friend, bought it used, hoping i didnt get hosed...you're not filling me with hope, however, hehe! & thank0 Jeff, I will attempt other hookups/different component inputs...though the TV manual DOES claim both component outs do 1080...VERY diifficult to get at the inputs at the moment, but i wil try to report back on success/failure soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks