Please help, I'm at my Wits end! What's wrong with my HDTV? pics incl.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Josh Q S, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Josh Q S

Josh Q S Stunt Coordinator

First of all, what's the difference between a normal tube HDTV and a "multimedia/monitor hdtv"? Just the VGA inputs?

Anyhow, the problem is something called "drag-lines". Check the link to see what I'm talking about:

http://www.geocities.com/josh_qs/index.html

If anyone has ANY idea what to do (other than call Zenith, of course), PLEASE let me know. I would appreciated it very much. I've been trying to figure this out for about a month now with no luck. I really like my HDTV, but this anomoly is driving me crazy! Thanks in advance!

2. Douglas Pe

Douglas Pe Extra

hey, did you try disconnecting your cable tv... it may be a ground loop problem

3. Josh Q S

Hmmmm, never tried that one yet. Will do as soon as my wife can pull herself away from Dark Cloud 2, lol [​IMG] Thanks for the suggestion.

4. Josh Q S

Damn! Still the same thing [​IMG] I was hoping it would be something so simple and easy to fix, alas, I'm not so lucky [​IMG] Thanks again for the idea.

5. Dwight Amato

Dwight Amato Stunt Coordinator

Are the lines there on still scenes or only in motion? My last TV, a 36" Toshiba tube, had the dreaded Moire problem. It looked like vertical blinds, but only during movement. I hated that TV, and will never get another Toshiba because of it.

Not sure if your problem is related or not...

6. Josh Q S

They're always there; still or in motion, but it's much more noticeable when the game is in motion. Those white lines extend across the screen from bright objects on the left. It seems bright objects on the right won't extend to the left though... What exactly is the Moire problem?

7. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    This may not really help your situation, but I had this exact same problem with a computer monitor of mine not too long ago (your description of the problem is spot-on). Turns out my video card was the culprit, and once it was replaced, the problem went away. How does this help you? Not really sure :) I would assume the problem is electronic and has nothing to do with the CRT's themselves (as was the case with my monitor, the CRT is projecting exactly the image it's being given). Unfortunately, who knows how many circuit boards, capacitors, and other such innards are packed into that beast - any one of which could be the problem. There may not be an easy solution short of having a technician dissect it and hope that the faulty part is obvious to see. I've seen other people cite faulty power supplies as causing picture anomalies in other threads - that may also be a good place to start if things get desperate enough... Any other hypotheses?

8. Josh Q S

Well that's the closest I've come to someone who knows about this type of problem. Thanks a bunch, Jason, for sharing your story. I'm calling Zenith tomorrow to see what's up [​IMG] Hopefully I can get this all sorted out soon...

Anyone else? Feel free to share anything you might know/guess about this. I appreciate any and all input, thanks!

9. Mika-H

Mika-H Stunt Coordinator

It isn't your cables. Do a "normal" search for BANDING in the "Display devices" forum.

10. Josh Q S

I got an email this morning from someone who suggested my problem was called "harmonic streaking". Judging from the links he sent me, I think this is exactly the problem I'm suffering from [​IMG] I'll do that search you suggested, as the devil goes by many names...

I've been getting a lot of great info so far, thanks a bunch! However, I'm still a ways off from fixing this problem [​IMG] Keep the great info coming!

11. Josh Q S

UPDATE:

I called Zenith and despite my fears, I'm completely covered for parts and labor (I bought the TV through one of their dealers on Ebay).

The tech guy is supposed to be here sometime this friday, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of this... Thanks again to anyone who provided info.

12. TimG

TimG Second Unit

Just to throw out some more suggestions. My front projector did this for a while also, streaks to the right from bright objects. I found out it was a bad s-video cable, once I replaced the cable, the streaking stopped. Also, what is your contrast set on, sometimes when the contrast is turned up to high it will cause streaking. Good luck.

TimG