Please help!!! HTR-5790 and Klipsch F3s

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Himanshu_S, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Himanshu_S

Himanshu_S Stunt Coordinator

My fronts are Klipsch Synergy F3's. When I listen to 2 channel stereo, the bass is not as good as the speaker is capable of producing. The reason I say this is that I hooked up the speaker to Yamaha 5280 receiver and there was a lot of bass. I mean it was enough so that I don't have to turn on my sub. When connected to 5790, I can hear the really low bass but not the high bass or bass like punch in your face.

Please tell me I'm doing something wrong because I can not figure what the hell is causing this. I have fiddled around with all settings I could think of. The tone control on the reciever doesn't really help. I do have Zone 2 and Zone 3 lights on but that shouldn't really matter since I am not running any speakers in those zones.
    How many watts is this receiver actually putting out? and is it less than what the 5280 puts out? If thats the case, yamaha just screwed me over $800 receiver.

Thanks for the responses.

2. Himanshu_S

anyone??

3. John S

John S Producer

Your positive all the bass management settings are equal between the two AVR's???? If so, darn strange for sure.

4. Himanshu_S

Yeah. Not many settings regarding the bass management in the receiver. They are pretty much all same. I had bi-wired connections for my mains but I removed them and now the bass is little bit more there but still not as good as when connected to 5280.

I am going to try a pioneer receiver this weekend and see if that makes a difference or not. So disappointed in Yamaha. Because of all the good things about Yamaha's amp and their quality, I thought this reciever would be a no-brainer purchase, guess I should have done my homework before jumping in.

Does anyone know the actual output by this receiver?

5. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

First, something IS wrong, as that receiver and speaker combo should give you massive amounts of clean bass.

I would keep playing with it.

6. Himanshu_S

Yeah my friend's speakers do have really good bass and that's the reason I bought these speakers in the first place. I also found out from the speakers forum that it might be my room that is causing this too. In any case, I'll know this weekend the root cause of this unusual and unexpected problem when I hook up the pioneer.

7. Himanshu_S

I tried the pioneer 1014 but it still lacked the bass plus the sound wasn't as natural as the yamaha. In fact the Yamaha sounded better in terms of bass too. I am going to return the pioneer. It's not worth it for me.

The 5280 has an option of turning off all the processing by the receiver, like the "STRAIGHT" option in HTR-5790. However for me this option doesn't really do anything when compared to the "STEREO" option. When he has the processing enabled, it sounds just like mine. But when he turns it off, the bass is like ten times better. This is really screwed up since his receiver is old but sounds a LOT better than this 5790!
    What is causing this??? is it lack of power output?

Thanks for the replies.

8. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Himanshu,
    I would suggest try out running the YPAO again and keep the subwoofer on. Am assuming you are keeping the sub on when u talk less bass. I have the same reciever and that has tons of bass to drive my Svs. If that doesnt work try manually upping the subwoofer level from the setup. Also what settings are you running your mains as? Large or Small? What is your bass out set to? Sub only, Both sub and mains? It must be a setup problem i believe. I would double check everything.all the best

9. Himanshu_S

finally I found out what the problem was. I hooked up my friends SF-3's to my reciever at my place and found that it sounded better than my F3's. The only difference is that mine has front port and his has rear port. I turned the speaker around 180 degrees and found the bass that I was looking for.
    Now the highs are not as clear since the speakers are facing the wrong way. This basically sucks.

10. Kenneth Harden

Kenneth Harden Screenwriter

Well, than your problem is room setup.

Anyone can drop a pair of speakers in a room and call it a day, but tweeking the placement is what can really help.

11. Himanshu_S

How is that? are you suggesting that my speakers needs to be placed differently than SF3? If so, what would you suggest for placement of these speakers?
    Here's my current room setup:
    Code:

12 FT
     |------------------------|
     | SUB |
     |RK. SPK. TV SPK. | 
     | |------ |
     2| |
     0| |
     | |
     F| |
     T| |S |
     |C |T |
     |O |A |
     |U C H IS HERE |I |
     | SPK. SPK. |R |
     --------------------------S |
     >>>>> leads to upper level.

Fronts are faced directly towards the rear speakers.

12. Himanshu_S

Thank you Kenneth for your help!

It was the placement issue. The speakers are now moved to each corner and the sub is next to TV but close to the back wall. The sound is improved quite a bit. Today I heard the sound I was looking for from front speakers. It does feel quite nice and there is enough bass to shake the whole house.

I ran the auto setup in 5790 after moving the speakers and it set the speakers as following:

Fronts: LARGE
    Center: Small
    Surround: Small
    Crossover at 160Hz!

I changed the crossover to 80hz. Should I change the center and surrounds to large or this is fine?

Also, when I calibrate my speakers with AVIA, do I *HAVE* to crank it up until it's 85 db? It's way too loud and I am afraid of damaging the speakers.

Thanks again!