Please help give advice on setup

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by NolanJ, Aug 21, 2006.

1. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

Hi,

I'm interested in upgrading my home theater and have a budget of around $7000.

My room is about 15x20 ft with about 8 ft high ceilings. There's barely any light in the room.

One issue I have is that the wall where I want my display to be is a firewall, so I can't mount anything on the wall. I'm left with having a display hang from the ceiling.

What I would like is a projector, screen, nice surround sound speakers, and a receiver that is capable of handling my hi-def cable box, and hd-tv and blu ray dvd players.

Can anyone offer me some suggestions on parts to accomplish my goal? I'm not interested in purchasing the hi-def dvd players as of yet. For now I'm just going to use my xbox 360 as my dvd player, and in the future add the hi-def players.

Thanks in advance,
    Jay

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Hi Nolan - here's a concept to get you started, enjoy!

Projector: Panasonic PT-AE900U LCD - $1700
    Screen: Carada Criterion Series Brilliant White - $700 (92" HDTV format)
    Receiver: Denon AVR-3806 - $800
    Speakers: Mordaunt Short Avant Series - $3,000
    Remote: Logitech Harmony 880 - $150
    Power Conditionner: APC H10 Power Conditioner - $300
    Audio/Video Cabling: $250
    Speaker Cabling: $100

Total: $7,000

3. Don.l

Don.l Stunt Coordinator

Projector: I personally like Runco, but a little pricey. I also like Panasonic. You will want to try out and LCD or DLP projector. I would suggest going to a place that sells them and looking at the same scenes from a movie on both projector. See what you prefer LCD or DLP. Everybody is different and no technology is better than the other. It's just a matter of opinion. I would say around $1000 to $1500 should be a nice projector.

Screen: I like DaLite, and Stewart. That said I have neither. They are a little expensive for me. Also, are you going to be raising and lowering the screen? I assume you will as you have a fireplace. I wouldn't want any heat getting near the screen. So you will want a motorized screen. Me? I have an Elits Screens screen that I got for about 90% off of retail and I'm totally happy about it. It looks great and the xbox 360 looks outstanding in 1080i. I'm sure others will not agree with me on Elite Screens, but just my opinion. I again would tell you to go to a place that has them on display. Even if you have to drive out of town. It's worth it. Don't just take someone's opinion.

Receiver: I like Denon and Onkyo. Not much to say except if you are interested in the HD DVD stuff you probably want to get HDMI inputs and component inputs and make sure that it auto switches for different video signals. You can even get ethernet ports to stream XM or audio (and video? Not sure about video) from a computer network.

Speakers: What was reccomend by Alon I can't speak on. I've never heard them. I would say that for a subwoofer I would go with SVS. You get 45 day in home trial, and 3 year warranty, and the service is great. I personally like the tube subs, but I think they are all good.

Remote: 880 is what I'm going to get. I would suggest running some IR cabling and emitters for your equipment.

Audio/video cabling: I made most of my video cables from Belden (I think that's the name) and Canari connectors. I'm not sure of the spelling on that. If you're intersted in making cables there are some great tutorials out there and let me know and I'll point you to a good one. If you're going to buy cables, I would suggest Blue Jean cables. Good prices and great customer service.

I hoped I helped a little.

Don

4. NolanJ

NolanJ Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions guys... your help was much appreciated.

5. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter