Please help dumb blonde buy outside the box

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by SherriK, Nov 10, 2003.

1. SherriK

SherriK Auditioning

I have a new Hitachi 51" 51s500 tv & a low end
    toshiba dvd player sdk620.
    I would like to keep the cost around $1000.
    But I saw an offer @onecall that includes
    HK AVR330 & DVD101 with 5 Infinity speakers &
    Sub for $1559. I could possibly do this but,
    is it worth it? Or to save $ should I use
    the dvd player I have?
    I want to listen to music(rock) and have
    read a receiver with neo6 is good for this.
    The room is 16 X 25 with a ceiling
    that rises to 16'.
    It would be dangerous for me to try to
    combine components. Thank you for taking
    time to share the knowledge.[​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Well I think that you're underestimating yourself SherriK.
    That's not a small space and could very well be around 4,000 cubic feet and furuther you've got a pretty tight budget given your desires. So we need to find ways to make it stretch. Now personally, I think you need to select your speakers first and there is not better way than excercising patience and trying to get them into your home. I'm assuming you've got some sort of receiver hence you might want to consider getting some JBL's or Klipsh's in for starters to audition. The more efficient your speakers are, the less demands you'll have on your receiver and you can choose more modest, but perfectly adequate brands. You might want to give a little thought things like B stock speakers as well as used and possibly refurbished receivers. At this time I'd keep my existing player and see how much speaker I can get for my money.
    So, do you think it's possible on your part to venture out and get a couple of speakers into your home?

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Welcome to the Forum Sherri!

4. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Not sure what Infinity speakers are being offered in this package, but in my experience, Infinity has never really built a 'bad' speaker. H/K and Infinity are really a terrific combo as both are very neutral sounding.

The AVR330 is a completely capable receiver with a pretty powerful amp section. Despite it's seemingly small rating of 55 Watts per channel, that number is derived while simultaneously driving all channels. It's stereo power is 65 Watts per channel. Plenty.

Unless you want to spend many hours shopping around and evaluating equipment, this sounds like a decent package to me but since I'm in Canada, I really don't know how the price compares and we'd need to know the model of the speakers for this too.

As has been mentioned, your DVD player is probably just fine, unless you want newer features like MP3 playback or progressive scan capability that your current model might not have.

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Are you going to use this for HT as well as music? If you are thinking about both uses, you might check out the Rocket ELT system. This goes for $900 and AV123 will package with a Denon 1804 for another $350, totaling $1,250.

6. SherriK

SherriK Auditioning

Thank you everyone! I didn't think it was worth
    mentioning that I have this connected
    to a kenwood amp, 2 large jbl speakers, and 2
    bose(oops I said the b word) bookshelf speakers,
    all from the 80's. It's pretty sad.
    I will try to go to Best Buy or HH Gregg and
    listen to the Klipsch speakers.
    That Rocket ELT system looks interesting. That
    receiver is loaded....I think...and the speakers
    are nice looking. But I have never heard of them.
    Is Denon ok? Can anyone look at this?:b

7. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

No expert here, but I think you can't lose with Denon. Kicks ass. I have the 3803 running Mirage OMs and OMNIs and it handles them great. Nice, rich sound. Really nice for music.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

It's one thing to listen to the speakers in a showroom as it'll give you some general fuzzy impressions. There's enough good speakers out there that there's no reason that you couldn't use things like size, color, etc. (yes, it's silly perhaps, but you've got to like the way they look) to weed out particular brands. However, try very hard to get them into your home and hook them up to your Kenwood (got a model # or spec's on that?) and see how they sound.
    Let's say for argument's sake that you decide that Klipsch is your thing. Consider posting back here and also on the Klipsch forum as people may know about better pricing for you.
    Nothing wrong with that 80's stuff. Heck I've got a perfectly usable Sansui receiver from the mid 70's.

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Perhaps you could try something like this:

http://ww3.onecall.com/SPL_812.htm

I bought my parents the S38IIs that would be the mains in that system, and they sound absolutely fantastic. This package's low price is due to JBL phasing out the S-series (from what I've heard anyways) and the H/K receiver being a discontinued model. That shouldn't sway your decision though, there are many happy owners of H/K and JBL gear here, and the two go hand in hand with each other since they are both owned by Harman International. This setup should be worthy of consideration (if you can find it setup anywhere anymore...well at least the mains with an H/K amp [​IMG])

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

11. SherriK

SherriK Auditioning

Hey Chu, the Kenwood amp is KA-95 and claims to have
    "125 watts per channel minimum RMS,both channels
    driven @ 8ohms from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz with no
    more than 0.05% harmonic distortion."
    I have been satisfied with its musical ability,
    and I don't think it will ever die.
    But, it is not doing much for the new tv with
    only 4 speakers.
    I want to explore all the options. And will
    continue to look for any advise. Thanks.
    SherriK