Please help... "Disc Not Formatted" problem.....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Walt Riarson, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

This is my first time visiting this forum, since i've never had major computer problems before, so I apologize if this problem has been covered in other threads.

Anyway...

I was using a floppy disc yesterday to work on a something I am writing, but today, when I put the disc in and try to open the file, it says "Disc is not formatted".

What happened and how can i recover the file? Can i even recover it at all?

If the file is lost, I will have lost 60 pages, so I hope somebody out there can help me. I'll appreciate it.

2. Mike St.Louis

Mike St.Louis Supporting Actor

I assume you are using a PC running Windows.

There are a couple of things you can try:

1. Remove the disk and re-insert it a few times. See if you can access it then.

2. Were you using the diskette on a different machine? Sometimes only the last computer to write to the disc can access it correctly. Try the disk on a different machine.

3. If you still can't access the disk then chances are it is damaged. Floppy disks are not as reliable as they used to be. You can try and repair the disk with a repair program. Windows comes with a free program called 'Scandisk' which is usally found under 'Start > Programs > Accessories'. A better program is Norton Disk Doctor. If you have access to one of these programs, run it and select the floppy drive with your disk in it. The program will try and access your disk and repair any damage.

Unfortunately these things do not usually turn out well. At best you may recover some of your document.

Good luck.

3. Walt Riarson

Walt Riarson Supporting Actor

Thanks for your reply. I tried ScanDisk but it says that there isn't a disk in the A drive, it's not formatted, or some utility is preventing it from being read. I can't get it to scan that disk at all, so i assume it's pretty much a lost cause.

I just can't figure out how it got damaged though.

4. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

Floppy disks are generally pretty good but they can get damaged pretty easy. That's why I either back up to either a server or cd when I do backups...

5. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Windows is pretty lame when it comes to floppies. Any little thing goes wrong and it says the disk isn't formatted and that's that. I'd try an old command line version of Norton Disk Doctor. It's available on a Norton Emergency Disk and it turns out that you can download it for free from Symantec.
    ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...t/ned_2001.exe
    This download creates a set of floppies containing several utilities that should include Norton Disk Doctor.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

NDD is a good suggestion. If that can't completely restore the disk, you may still be able to read the data off of it manually. It's quite technical, and if it's possible, it may be labor-intensive. But depending on the data, it might be worth it.

//Ken