Please Help - Def. Tech. BP2X Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregory S, Oct 18, 2002.

1. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I'm in the market for surround speakers, preferably bipolar. What are your opinions of the Def. Tech. BP2X's? Do they have enough bass response? Would you consider them bright or warm? How is the envelopment of these speakers? Is there a big difference between the BP2X's and the BPX's - I'm not interested in the powered versions. How are these for music?

I will be using them for side surrounds and possibly rear center surrounds. I will not be using Def. Tech speakers for the L/C/R - I am using ACI Sapphire III LE's for that and also 2-channel listening. The Sapphires have a fairly neutral to slightly warm and laid-back sound. I am also using an M&K MX-80 subwoofer.

Another possibility are the Axiom QS-8 Quadpolar surround speakers. Does anyone have a comparison of the Def. Techs to the Axioms? Which are more enveloping?

Thank you very much.....looking forward to your comments,
    Greg

2. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

Gregory
    I'm using the Def-Tech BP 1.2 as side surrounds. I am using them in a 7.1 set up. They didnt sound bad. But I switched the phase of the rear firing side and they really made a differance in the surround sound. I have not really listened to them for music per say but when I but my receiver into all ch stereo they sound pretty good they are not harsh or bright sonding and they blend well with my JAMO L/C/R.

3. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

Thanks George.

Anyone else care to comment - I know you're out there!

Thanks,
    Greg

4. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

Gregory,
    I have two pairs of BP2X's since '99 haven't had any problems. I have a DENON AVR-3300 they sound quite good in stereo and 5 ch. stereo. They play down to 45hz by no means full range. They will sound a little brite if you have plaster walls. I am currently using them for both L/R and surround duty (have a small room). They sound great with a sub.I use a Mirage BPSS-210 for the low end on the L/R channels and a BPS-400 for the LFE. I left mine wired the way they came. They do sound a little stiff at first but the bass response improves after about 40-50 hours of use.Follow the recommendations in the manual for placement and make sure you anchor them to a stud they aren't light!

5. Gregory S

Gregory S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Mark!

Anyone have the opportunity to compare to the Axiom Quadpolars?

Thanks,
    Greg

6. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I currently have the bp1.2x and as far as I know there are no ways to change the phase of the speakers. However I really do love them. I have them mounted about 1 inch from the ceiling (8 foot). And I also have them in a room where a couple hallways connect to plus a stairway. And it is also a very odd shaped room. But I love them and wouldnt trade them except maybe for the bp2x

7. John H

John H Second Unit

I have used the BP2X, BPX, BPVX and BPVX/P

I would recommend the BPVX highpassed at 60 - 80Hz

I am using 2 pair of the BPVX in my system now.

I would consider them toward the warm side with my Parasound amplification.

John

8. Wayne McRae

Wayne McRae Stunt Coordinator

I have a pair of the BP 1.2's as well. The work great for the surrounds. I had a second pair on my rear wall for my 7.1 setup but I didn't like the way they sounded behind me,YMMV. I wanted more of a direct sound from the rears, so I sold the other pair to a buddy. I would try to demo different types of speakers for the rear surrounds before you make a purchase.

9. John H

John H Second Unit

10. George Martin

George Martin Stunt Coordinator

Matt to change the phase you have to remove the rear speakers and reverse the wiring.

11. Greg Stamm

Greg Stamm Auditioning

Thanks for the feedback.

I'll have to decide between the BP2X and the BPX - the BPVX is kind of large. I'm using ACI Sapphire III LE's for my L/C/R and the BPVX might be too over-powering for them.

If there are any more comments, please post them.

Thanks,
    Greg