Please Help - Canada Post lost an ebay transaction!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by McPaul, Jul 30, 2004.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Alright.. for over 10 years now, I have been using the internet for everything, but have always been scared out of my mind of buying and selling over the internet, from person to person.

A good friend of mine had some recent luck with ebay, and since I had stuff to sell, convinced me to do it.

First item to try on ebay: a Canon Powershot S45 camera.

I sold it to some guy down in the US for $420 and went down together to the CanadaPost retail outlet to ship it with a friend who was selling some stuff as well. Everything went smoothly, the girl did all the packaging and labelling for us, because she was a good friend of my buddy. We paid for shipping for Expedited Post - USA and left.

Now... the buyer was never very communicative during the sales process, I had to wait over a week for payment, because he just never was very quick with the emails. Over a month passed and then I get an email from him that said

Hey Paul,

I have been busy and haven't been as diligent about this as I probably should have been. I thought at first that the camera was tied up in customs or something, but I have not seen this camera at all. Now it looks like it has been returned to Ontario?!? Can you find out what is happening to it?

Ryan.

(fyi: I'm in Calgary, and he's in Redmond, WA - having this parcel shipped to Mississauga is ridiculous)

so I've been trying to chase this thing down now for the past couple of weeks and the last time calling Canada Post, they say they've "lost it" and have sent me a check for $112, which is the cost of shipping plus basic insurance. Apparently we could have purchased insurance on the package, but neither of us talked about it at the time.

So now the camera is lost in limbo somewhere, probably in a Canada Post employee's hot little hands... the online tracking still says miss, ON. so it still has to be there. and now I've got to settle things with the buyer.

What do I do?

Thanks guys!

2. Kevin Royal

Kevin Royal Stunt Coordinator

Paul,
    Unfortunately, it looks as though this may just have to be a learning experience for you.

If I ever sell anything online for over $100 value, I'd typically send it via Courier (charged to the seller), and/or insure it for the full amount.

As for this specific transaction, try communicating with the seller, but I'd expect he'd want a full refund...I'd maybe suggest waiting it out hoping it will turn up, but that's up to you and the buyer to determine...

I work, literally, across from the main Mississauga office (Dixie/Eglinton), so if there's anything I can do to help, let me know...

Thanks,
    Kevin

3. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Paul;

I never would have guessed that you'd be ignorant on the issue of insurance, especially with a valuable piece of electronics.

I think you need to have a conversation with the buyer and try to come to an agreement.

Sorry buddy but this will cost you some money!

B

4. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I don't know what kind of agreement would be reasonable brentl. It'd be one thing if the buyer didn't opt for insurance, and the package arrived damaged...but it never even made it into his posession. If I were the buyer, I'd expect a full refund.

That really sucks Paul. Hopefully the package will show up.

5. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Paul, I was going to offer to help in any way I could, as I too live in Mississauga, but I see Kevin has already offered. Probably for the better, anyways, as I don't have a liscence to drive.

Anyways, I hope you find the package. I've had many experiences with Canada Post, so this doesn't really surprise me all that much.

6. Shayne Lebrun

Shayne Lebrun Screenwriter

Speaking personally, I've never had a problem with Canada Post.

According to the tracking of the package, the fellow doesn't have his goods. Therefore, you owe him either said goods, or a full refund.

Unfortunately, you've just learned why you get insurance. Forever more, you'll pay for the insurance, and you'll never have anything go missing. :)

7. BobV

BobV Second Unit

I don't agree at all actually. Once the product leaves your hands and is in the hands of the shipper it is the responsibility of the shipper and/or receiver. You have done your job.

In my business I ship around the US and Canada all the time and I always ship by Canada Post Expedited. If it's over a hundred bucks or so I always ask if the customer wants insurance or not, it is their responsibility. Why? Because it was my responsibility from my suppliers to me. If I order from a supplier and it gets lost coming to me, I am out... I've experienced it a few times. I've argued with couriers as to why I have to buy insurance to ensure they ship my package to the right place... I thought that the money I paid for the shipment ensured I received it. Ya right, that would be too easy [​IMG] .

Anyways, if it were me, I would probably request the receiver pay 50% and I would pay 50%... just to be nice, but in reality, it's his responsibility.

That's my opinion.

8. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

So Bob, if you order something from Amazon, or another online retailer, they ship it but it never arrives, you don't expect to either get your order replaced or refunded?

9. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm with Bob on this one. The title on all of my auctions passes to the buyer the moment the shipping company takes possession of the item to be shipped. But this is clearly outlined in all of my auctions as a TOS. If such a term wasn't communicated to the buyer in advance, I guess I would rely on Canada's UCC to guide my thought process.

10. Nick Sievers

Nick Sievers Producer

I have been shopping mostly for DVD's with Amazon since '99 and over the years a couple of packages have been lost and they replace them no questions asked. Some of them quite expensive as well. But there are definitely some online stores that actually point it out to say that if it gets lost in transit then they won't ship another one out or hand out a refund.

11. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I've shipped lots of items all over and I always make sure my butt is covered with plenty of insurance...i've only ever had to use it once but I was glad I had it. More recently I shipped an item that arrived broken so it was a case of me refunding the full amount no questions asked and he returned the item to me. I'd expect that to happen if something I had purchased either arrived broken or not at all..which thankfully hasn't happened yet.

I agree you owe the buyer the money he spent on the camera and your beef is now with CanadaPost...but you really ought to have had it properly insurace..its a buck per hundred so its really not that much considering.

12. BobV

BobV Second Unit

All I know is that when I order from a supplier, be it Toshiba, Ingram Micro, Samsung, Telus Mobility, etc etc, if mt order is lost or arrives damaged it's my responsibility. If I own the responsibility to me, then I pass on that responsibility to my customer when I ship to him. Amazon is a huge multimillion dollar corporation, they may be able to eat that, mom and pop shops, and personal sales are different in my opinion.

It's not to be rude or anything, and in all my years, only one thing has been lost in transit to one of my customers (and I covered it, longtime customer), but in my opinion it's the receivers responsibility to insure.

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Well... it seems my little story has took a suprising turn for the better.
    I've been sick for the past few days and haven't left the house - glued to my bed for the most part.
    last night I was feeling better and we decided to go see I,Robot (great flick!) anyways, I opened the door andn there it was sitting at the base of the door, no identification or anything. Someone could have taken it... I was just so thrilled that the camera had arrived!!

Here's what I did:
    I immediately emailed the buyer and told him what had happened, then I gave him the choice of getting his money back or shipping out the package again. I told him that if he wanted me to ship it again, then I will recommend he put insurance on it. But in this case, since he's been waiting for quite some time, it's been quite an inconvenience to him, and I didn't want to pay for relisting, I offered to pay the full cost of the insurance on the camera... and told him it's his responsibility this time.

Anyways, all seems right now. I'm shipping out the item on Tuesday I guess (holiday in Canada on Monday) and it will be his responsibility now.

In future, I'll probably make it mandatory that all buyers pay for full cost insurance on all items, as a condition of sale.

One thing I am curious about though: what other conditions of sale do you guys use on ebay?

Chalk this one up as a learning experience... I'm not jaded with ebay. It was all Canada Post's fault, and that can be prevented in future.

Thanks for all the support!