Please help: Brief white lines - AGAIN

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert Burkes, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Robert Burkes

Robert Burkes Second Unit

Hi, everyone

I live in a college dorm room, and the electrical system here is horrible. My roommate and I have 2 mini-refrigerators plugged in, and every time one of their compressors clicks on, I see a white line flash on my TV screen. I posted a similar message a few weeks ago, and someone told me to buy a good surge protector. Well, I've done this. I got a $50 Acoustic Research surge protector from Circuit City, but I'm still seeing the lines. Also, my computer speakers make a strange popping noise frequently (every time we turn the lights on and other times). Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? If there's nothing I can do, I guess I can live with the lines as long as my system isn't in danger. Please, anyone, give me any information you have on this type of problem. Thank you so much for any help.

Rob

2. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert,

You could try one of those line conditioners. It plugs into the wall and then you plug your equipment into it and it regulates the voltage to make sure your equipment gets a constant voltage with no peaks or dips. They are expensive though. I dont think a surge protector would fix your problem because its the dips caused by the fridges compressor that is causing the lines, they draw a lot of amps when they first start up. Is there any other plugs you could plug your equipment into that would put it on a different circuit then the one the appliances are using, that might fix your problem. Is the light that makes your computer speakers make noise a halogen? I had one that would make my computer speakers make like a humming noise depending on how bright i had it. Good Luck I hope you get it worked out.

3. Robert Burkes

Hi, Jason

Thanks for your help. Since I live in a dorm room (shoe box), I really don't have much choice as to where I plug my equipment in. I guess I can deal with the lines as long as no harm is going to come to my equipment from this. Is there any danger? Thanks again for your help. I guess I'll go get my $50 back now. Oh, and I think my lights are halogens. Thanks!

Rob

4. Jason Bell

Jason Bell Stunt Coordinator

Hi Robert,

I'm not sure if it will damage your equipment over the long term. Maybe someone else on the forums could tell you for sure, or a TV repair shop. You should probably still leave your TV plugged into some kind of surge protector. Good Luck

5. Robert Burkes

Hi, Jason

I did have all my equipment plugged into an RCA surge protector that I got at Wal-Mart for $20-$30, but I thought maybe a better one would solve the problem. Guess not. Well, I'll call around and see if this is potentially hazardous to my equipment. Thanks again for your help.

Also, anyone else who might know something about this problem, please let me know. Thanks!

Rob

6. Robert Burkes

Someone, please tell me if this problem could damage any of my equipment. Please... Thank you.

Rob