What's new

Please help - Bowers & Wilkins receiver (1 Viewer)

JasonJJJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Hello all,

I'm using a Yamaha RX-V373 reciever to power two DM603 S3 fronts, one LCR 60 S3 front, one ASW 600 Sub.

Is the RX-V373 sufficient to power these speakers or do I need a larger receiver?

Thanks!

--

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Until recently, I had been powering seven B&W 600 Series speakers (604 S2 fronts, LCR6 center, 602 S2 surrounds, 602 S3 rear centers) with a Denon X3300W receiver -- I also have a B&W subwoofer (a larger model than yours). As long as you run all the speakers as "small" so the sub is handling the low end, you should be fine. Your Yamaha and my Denon appear to be fairly close in power output (it's always difficult to make a direct comparison, as there are no standards for measuring power output specs). I never had any power issues listening at my usual "movie" sound levels.

We recently remodeled our family room where the home theater is located, so when I re-installed the system I went down to a 5.1 setup, relocating the 602 S3's to the front and removing the 604 S2 towers. The 7.1 setup was really overkill for the room.

Last edited:

JasonJJJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Until recently, I had been powering seven B&W 600 Series speakers (604 S2 fronts, LCR6 center, 602 S2 surrounds, 602 S3 rear centers) with a Denon X3300W receiver -- I also have a B&W subwoofer (a larger model than yours). As long as you run all the speakers as "small" so the sub is handling the low end, you should be fine. Your Yamaha and my Denon appear to be fairly close in power output (it's always difficult to make a direct comparison, as there are no standards for measuring power output specs). I never had any power issues listening at my usual "movie" sound levels.

We recently remodeled our family room where the home theater is located, so when I re-installed the system I went down to a 5.1 setup, relocating the 602 S3's to the front and removing the 604 S2 towers. The 7.1 setup was really overkill for the room.

Ok thanks, I'll stick with this receiver then. One more question, should I be plugging the speaker wire into the hi-fi connection or into the low-fi connection?

-

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They are on the speakers, I can plug the wire into low fi or high fi, I did some research and decided to go with the low fi.

-
Those are bi-amp connections. You aren't bi-amping, so there should be a jumper, a flat piece of metal connecting between them. That has to be there, or you have to connect wire to both of them. If the jumper is there, it makes no difference which one you connect the wire to.

JasonJJJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Those are bi-amp connections. You aren't bi-amping, so there should be a jumper, a flat piece of metal connecting between them. That has to be there, or you have to connect wire to both of them. If the jumper is there, it makes no difference which one you connect the wire to.

I attached a pic, it appears that I definitely don't have a jumper. Should I try to order from bowers and wilkins?

Also, I realize that the banana plugs are not hooked up the way they should, I just had a really hard time getting the caps off of the connectors.

Attachments

• 16111856744982330836044840617853.jpg
    16111856744982330836044840617853.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 47

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The HF and LF designations mean high frequency [tweeter] and low frequency [mid woofer and woofer] connections. As @JohnRice pointed out, these are only relevant if you are bi-amping. Since you are not, you need the shorting jumpers in place, plus to plus and minus to minus.

JasonJJJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
Good thing I posted this and thanks so much for your feedback! I hope that i didn't mess up the speakers at all.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
And the jumpers will be easier to install once you get the caps off the binding posts.

It shouldn't mess up the speakers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, won’t hurt the speakers. They’ll just sound like crap without some kind of jumper.

JasonJJJ

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
There should have only been high frequencies or low frequencies.

Is there a certain type of wire I should use to connect the hi fi and low fi? I'm assuming I break the speaker wire apart so that I connect positive to positive and negative to negative? Would buying bi-wire be a better / easier to set up option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dckbrown
Recent bookmarks