Please help before my breaddown

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DAVID SZKLAREK, Feb 9, 2002.

1. DAVID SZKLAREK

DAVID SZKLAREK Auditioning

Sorry off the bat if this is to long for such a simple ?, but I have tried everything. I have one directv reciever, and have it running 4 televisions. My main screen is hooked up via s-video and coax. The s-video is the only quality picture I get or need. The coax on the main screen and other tv's are for rare viewing and I dont need a perfect picture, just simple operation for my wife. I have a Marantz s890 runing the main television and speakers. All I want is to run local channels through all the tvs from an antenna in the attic (or small one outside). The other tvs have one coax input only. How is this done without using a/b switches. My father in law has same setup and recieves perfect locals through his antenna on all tvs. Its hard to see how his is setup and he had it done, but it looks like his antenna and sat. in go into an amplified joiner and then they are split out to the different tvs through just the one wire. When he watches on the different tvs, he doesnt switch inputs or anything else, just channel up and down from 3 (sat.) to the locals, and his picture is great. Radio shack has given ten different set ups to try, and none work. Meanwhile I have a 8 foot antenna in my roof and my best reception on local comes from a pair of rabbit ears. This is way too long already, but if any more info could help someone answer, please ask. I cant explaing how frustrating this is getting for me. I have no problem buying a new reciever if they some how do a better job with this. Thanks for any help, I feel stupid having to ask.

2. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Don't feel stupid asking questions. That's how we all learn!

Have you tried this setup?:

Take the coax from your roof top antenna and plug it into the ANTENNA IN on the back of your satellite receiver. From your post I assume that the coax out from your satellite receiver is connected to the rest of the TV's in your house through a splitter? (and it should be if you can watch satellite on all the TV's in your house over the coax). Now set the satellite receiver to output to channel 3 (unless you don't have a local channel that comes over channel 4). This should do it. If you want to watch local channels on the other TV's, just tune into that channel. If you want to watch satellite, then just tune to channel 3. No a/b switchers needed.

3. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

David, first of all is your roof top antenna giving you good enough pictures for local channels? If so it's a matter of incorporating it's signal & the DSS's into your system with ONE cable.

Not knowing how much difference off the air antenna signal differs from cable signal (which is what I use for local channels besides Dish) may be others can help in that respect. My installation involves combining the cable & DSS signals via a 'duplexor' to one cable coming into the house then splitting them back to separate signals using another duplexor in reverse. The DSS signal coming off the second duplexor then goes into my Dish receiver for decoding while the cable signal goes into the receiver's cable/ant input to form a combined output off the Dish receiver. From there on out I use regular splitters to further divert the signal to different TV's.

PF

4. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

David,

I may of missed something. Are you trying to get the DirecTV and antenna into your house on one cable, or just get it from your DirecTV receiver to the TV's on one cable?

5. DAVID SZKLAREK

Jesse, I have it set up as you say right now. The problem is, the picture on locals somehow gets lost. If I hook the antenna up directly to the tv, I get ok reception (I wish it was better). But when I run the antenna into the reciever first, my local reception is terrible. My father in law has some sort of amplifier his antenna goes through, but when I try it, nothing. This is what is irritating. It seems like it should be simple, but I cant get it to work. Thanks for trying to help.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    PomingF,
    It's diplexer not duplexor.
    David,
    Based on your description whatever is on the main TV will be on every TV. If that is acceptable, then combining the OTA with satellite will work. As soon as you turn on the satellite receiver all of the TV's will switch to satellite programming.
    Use a channel modulator to view different channels. Combine the OTA and satellite on to one cable using a diplexer. At your sat receiver, use another diplexer to split the signals apart. Run the OTA signal into the modulator. Run the sat signal into the sat receiver. Connect the modulator to the satellite receiver using RCA cables. The satellite receiver will be assigned a channel that is not being used (mine are in the 70's). Watch satellite on the main TV and different locals on the other TV's. Watch and control the satellite on channel 71 on any TV in the house.
    The Sony MRD-D1 modulator is available from OrbitSat for $90 and diplexers start at $3 each.
    -Robert

7. DAVID SZKLAREK

I may have been a little confusing. I do not need the ota and satelite combined going to the reciever. They are seperate, satelite to the sat in, and ota to the antenna in. Robert, what exactly does the modulator do? I am going to the site to see it now. When you run rf out of the receiver, does that line contain both ota and sat. as long as you have an antenna going into the reciever? If so, I dont see why I get such bad reception.

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert