Please help before I throw my BFD out the window?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Frank Carter, Mar 13, 2003.

1. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've only got 4 filters right now but two of aren't working correctly. The freq's is at 25hz and 50hz. I was trying to cut them but it seemed like they wouldn't go down, so I started to cut it one db at a time while watching the RS SPL meter. I was doing this until I got around -30 something, then all of a sudden the level dropped by about 11db. I then took it up 1 db and it went back to doing nothing. The other two filters are working but 25hz and 50hz are acting funny. It's frustrating the hell out of me![​IMG]

Here's some of the things I've checked over and over again.
    - I'm on the right program number
    - I'm adjusting the right filter
    - The filter is set to "PA"
    - I'm on the right frequency(meaning the "freq" and "fine" adjustments are set properly
    - I tried switching all my filters from program 1 to program 2 but it did nothing

Any suggestions of other things to check, something to change, or some way of troubleshooting would be appreciated.

I haven't don't anything to the higher frequencies yet because this thing is bugging me so much.
    [​IMG]

Regards,

Frank

2. just a shot in the dark, but you are at 25hz and 50hz not .25khz and .50khz. I did this once before.

also make sure your bandwidth isn't rediculously small on those filters

3. Mat_M

Mat_M Stunt Coordinator

I agree with Anthony. Also, if it comes down to it, make the bandwidth on the 25Hz and 50Hz filters huge, just to make sure that they actually are working. If they are, good! Then reset the bandwidth on those filters accordingly.

4. Frank Carter

I did make sure it was on hz and not khz.

I'll try increasing the bandwidth to see if that affects it. My bandwidth is kind of small right now at those freq's, I thought it would at least cut the center freq.

I was messing with it for a few hours before and it was working fine but my graph was looking good to me so I started over from the beginning. The funny thing is that I had a filter at 25 hz before but when I re-eq'd, it wasn't working for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

I also agree.

Its either 25 HZ or .25 HZ

It never displays KHZ

And yes, I also did this.

6. it actually displays Hz and kHz, but it is really hard to tell unless you look closely.

7. Frank Carter

Everything is set right and unplugging it for the night didn't reset anything. I've been using the left channels so I moved everything to the right channel and now it's working fine. I still don't know what the problem was. All I did was copy the settings for the left to the right channel. I'd still like to find out in case I ever add another sub and want to use that channel. Any other suggestions.

8. jeff morris

jeff morris Agent

Could you tell me where you got that program to plot your response? is that a hand plot or is it a real-time plot cut and pasted from somwhere? Is there softwear and/or hardwear available at a reasonable cost, to do realtime plotting? That way would definately bee more accurate and certainly quicker.
    thanks!
    jeff[​IMG]

9. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Depends on what you mean by reasonable cost.

You can go to the ETF website and check out their software for free when used with your RS SPL meter.

Another website with software is here

10. Frank Carter

Well guys, I thought I was in the clear but it started acting up again. It's something different now so I pretty sure it's a faulty BFD. After switching from the left to the right input, I got my first four filters working and I'm where I'm want to be up to 56hz. Now every time I put another filter at a higher frequency it undoes my filter at 45hz. When I take the filter off, the 45hz filter returns. Also I tried to put a filter at 80hz and it cut at 100hz.

I tried to call Behringer tech support, but the person that answered said he'd call me back but he didn't. I tried to call again but by the time I did that their offices were closed.

Frank

11. Frank Carter

Jeff,

It's plotted by hand in Microsoft Excel. I was reading up on ETF because I'm tired of of the manual method. If you want, let me know and I'll email you the excel file.

Frank

12. Richard_M

Richard_M Second Unit

Frank,

Since you are looking at using software to plot your responses I assume that you have a computer handy to your sound equipment. Have you tried to use the free software from Behringer to program the BFD? Using this software makes programing it much easier!

I realise this does not answer your original question about the BFD being faulty, but it might alleviate some of your frustrations when programming the BFD.

Richard