Please Help! Audio Questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jacquelyn, Jun 10, 2002.

1. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Auditioning

Hello,

This is my first post here. I have used your excellent forum for advice many times. I have two questions that I hope you can help me with.

1) I want to use my Channel Plus Stereo modulator to allow all TV's in the house to view what is on the big screen (Sony 61") in the TV Room. My receiver is a Denon 3801. I know this can be done because my former AV contractor had it set up that way. When we moved I couldn't get it to work. My former AV guy has moved and the new guy I called didn't have a clue. All equipment goes through the Denon. It is the only input to the Sony TV. Getting the video out is no problem, but I can't make the audio work.

2) I have a spare desktop computer with 30g of mp3's on it. I would like to be able to hear this music through my Denon and speaker system. How can I do this?

Denon Feeds:
    4 DirecTV/Tivo, Sony 200 DVD/CD Changer

I am fairly AV literate, but obviously don't have a good understanding of the audio side of things. Please help if you can.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Jacquelyne,

First, Welcome to the Forum!

This shouldn’t be too hard, but I confess I have no idea what a “stereo modulator” is. Can you give us a link?

3. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Auditioning

Wayne,
    Here is a link to the modulator.
    Computer will be located in cabinets with other AV gear. It is connected wireless to home network.
    I'm not sure what a "ground loop" is, but I also ran my wires across the room and into my stereo once. I did hear sounds but it was very distorted and had to be turned up very loud to be heard at all.
    I was having similar problems when trying to get the audio out of the Denon receiver after we moved.
    That was when I realized that I didn't know much about audio signals!!

4. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Auditioning

Well I guess I'll have to go with Plan B to get the programming that is showing on the big screen into the modulator.

I am going to use a RCA Audio Video selector. This selector's inputs will "mirror" the Denon's inputs. All of my components have more than one output. I will connect one output of each component to the Denon and one to the selector.

This selector has the ability to "learn" ir codes. I will teach the selector to react to the Denon ir codes. Therefore, when I change inputs on the Denon, the selector will change as well.

I will connect the outputs of the selector to one of the inputs on my modulator. Then whatever is on the Big Screen will be available to all TV's in the house.

5. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Jacquelyn, again welcome to the forum, and tks for your courtesy is getting back to the forum with your brainstorm, since it seemed to floor most others here....

That ChlPlus unit seems to be a home (wiring) integration installer type device. It would appear that your other-room TVs are connected with built-in 75ohm RF or RG6 cable for A/V source. Thus the stereo modulator sends out a signal that's split in various junctions to home TVs.

Since the general rule of thumb here is every cabletv split = a 3dB loss, how does yr system account for cable signal loss at the end of the distribution?

BTW dont be concerned about a "ground loop." But if you experience a new, irritating HUMMMM in the system some day that's not volume-control dependent, give us a call.....

And if you pls, give a link or model no. to that RCA Selector.

(well, I had to come back with an impertinent question: Why do you want all ancilliary tvs to be force-fed the same program in the "big" screen. Where's personal choice? Sorry to be nosy)

6. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Auditioning

Thanks for the welcome
    Here is the link to the RCA Selector. It doesn't mention IR control, but I have used this unit in the past.
    Yes the modulator allows you to view 4 sources on any connected TV in the house. It does this by combining the modulator output with your OTA or Cable coax. Our other house had OTA and I had very few problems with the combining of these signals. The new house has cable (which still sucks despite repeated service calls). The combined picture was so poor that I am going directly (via coax) to the two TV's in the house that I want to feed the modulator signal to. The picture is great as long as I don't combine it with the cable feed.
    In the TV Room I have 4 DirecTV/Tivo Satellite (dual tuner) receivers and a DVD/CD player. The kitchen is fairly close with no closed doors in between. Having access to the programming showing on the big screen has become a vital part of our viewing habits:
    My husband is the "chef" in our house. He can get up and check on dinner, I can piddle around in the bedroom (56" Toshiba), we can even go to the bathroom (Mbath TV fed from Master Bedroom TV) without missing a thing.
    There's only the two of us here and 90% of the time we watch the same thing. The other benefit of modulating the big screen is that it allows me to get more than the 4 devices supported by the modulator.
    Personal choice is still an option. Here is my plan:
    Modulator Channel A = Big Screen Mirror
    Modulator Channel B = DirecTV/Tivo 1
    Modulator Channel C = DirecTV/Tivo 2
    Modulator Channel D = DirecTV/Tivo 3
    To view Big Screen programming select Channel A
    To View Tivo 1 select Channel B
    To View Tivo 2 select Channel C
    To View Tivo 3 select Channel D
    I have IR control from the bedroom so to watch the DVD or TiVo 4 I will select channel A, then instruct the Denon receiver (and "mirror" selector) to tune to the correct input. This gives me access to all my "stuff" on the 56" in the bedroom with a great picture and pro logic sound. We will only use this method when both of us are in the bedroom. He wouldn't be very happy with me if he was sitting in the TV Room and I switched his inputs!! But if we do want to watch different sources we have three other options.
    I am only using the cable to feed the upstairs guest room and two 20" JVC TV's that are located on either side of the big screen in the TV Room. The upstairs pic is OK, but the downstairs pic is horrible. I'm thinking of switching to digital cable. I hate to do this when I am already paying for 4 satellite receivers.
    I just had a thought. The cable quy showed me on the outside of the house which cable is feeding what (upstairs, Internet, downstairs). Maybe I will switch the upstairs and downstairs feeds there. Who cares if the guest room pic is less than perfect.

7. Juan M

Juan M Stunt Coordinator

In regards to your mp3 question, Harman Kardon has a product that will send your mp3s to your digital coax input on your receiver via USB from your computer. It's been advertised in all the HT magazines I've picked up recently. Here's a link: http://harmankardon.com/product.asp?...%20150&sType=S

8. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Jacquelyn,
    I've read this thread three times. I don't understand why you need the RCA selector.
    At my old house (and soon in my new one) I had the following:
    Satellite receiver #1 connected to my A/V receiver with optical digital audio and s-video. It was also connected to my modulator with analog audio and composite video. It was assigned to channel 34.
    Satellite receiver #2 connected to my A/V receiver with optical digital audio and s-video. It was also connected to my modulator with analog audio and composite video. It was assigned to channel 37.
    DVD player connected to my A/V receiver with coax digital audio and s-video. It was also connected to my modulator with analog audio and composite video. It was assigned to channel 62.
    VCR connected to my A/V receiver with analog audio and composite video. It was also connected to my modulator with analog audio and composite video. Since it only had one set of outputs, I used basic 'Y' adapters from Radio Shack. It was assigned to channel 65.
    Any time we wanted to watch what was on the main TV, we just tuned the other TV to the appropriate channel. It sounds like the RCA selector will just make things more complicated. Have you looked at the modualor's owner's manual?
    -Robert

9. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Auditioning

Robert,
    The set up you described is what we currently have. Some of the reasons we miss the ability to modulate the big screen/denon receiver:
    We are watching Tivo1. Husband is cooking and has kitchen on Tivo1 feed. Has volume fairly loud to hear over kitchen sounds. Then later in the evening we switch to Tivo2. Kitchen TV is still on Tivo1 channel. Loud, annoying sounds come from kitchen. One of us gets up, goes to the kitchen and changes the channel to Tivo2. (We could turn it down or off, but what if you need a beer later, you might miss something) Much later in the evening we switch to TiVo3. There's that noise again!
    Husband is sitting in TV room. He calls out "you gotta see this". I ask "Which Tivo are you on". He doesn't know[​IMG]
    So this "mirror" selector will allow us to "sync" our other TV's. The other 3 modulated sources allow us to view a different source if desired.
    Jacquelyn

10. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

11. Al_M

Al_M Stunt Coordinator

About your MP3 question:
    I am researching doing this myself. I have found a very nice piece of gear that might be of interest. It's called the AudioTron from Turtle Beach.
    It requires a home network system, and has analog as well as digital outputs and a remote control.
    Anyone with this product feel free to chime in as I, like Jacquelyn would be interested.
    I understand OutLaw Audio will be putting out a similar product. It's called the IR-1000 . I hope they're quicker to the market with it than they have been with the 950 though! I would like to compare it with the AudioTron before purchasing either.

12. Jacquelyn

Jacquelyn Auditioning

No sound going into Sony big screen. Only connection is s-video from Denon.

Update:
    RCA Selector came from FedEx. All hooked up. Now just have to "teach it". But if you have a way to get Denon audio to modulator I can use selector for something else. I have a rather large pile of "extra" components, cords, etc.

Jacquelyn

13. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    All receiver (well most receivers) should have a tape out or monitor out on the back. Even the audio section of a VCR out would work.
    I just looked at the Denon's manual and you have three analog outputs. VCR-1, VCR-2/V-AUX and CDR/TAPE. Connect any of those three to your modulator and it should work.
    -Robert