What's new

Please Help! Audio problems with Blu Ray player...cant get 5.1 (1 Viewer)

nrrussell

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
First off, I am absolutely retarded when it comes to home audio and video. When I moved I had to draw a diagram of how everything was hooked up so I could restore my current set-up. With that being said, I am almost positive I have tried a combination that should have produced 5.1 sound while playing my new Samsung Blu Ray player.

Let me tell you what all I am working with here first of all. I have a 3 year old Hitachi Aspect Rear Projection TV model 65M200:
http://www.aspecttelevisions.net/docs/65M200_specs.pdf

I have the Samsung BD-P1500 Blu Ray player:
http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/d...ray&subtype=bl u_raydiscplayers&model_cd=BD-P1500/XAA

And my receiver may be the problem here. It is probably 4-6 years old. It is a Kenwood VR-806:
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...kenwood-vr-806

My television does not have a HDMI input, rather it has a DVI input. I purchased a HDMI to DVI cable to run from my Blu Ray player to my TV and of course I get a picture. Now comes the problem. I have tried various experiments to get Digital 5.1 out of my Blu Ray player with none working. I have tried running an optical cable from my Blu Ray player to my receiver and turned my receiver to the corresponding channel only to get "pro logic" sound through my speakers. I have tried av cables, I don't know what else to do?!?!? I currently have my optical cable running from my receiver to my xbox 360, and the component cables running to my tv from my 360 and i get true 5.1. But if i just take that optical cable away from the xbox and take it to the Blu Ray player, I get regular garbage audio. It is driving me crazy, and if anyone has any suggestions, please fire away.

Thanks,

Nick

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You will need to run a digital optical cable from the Samsung BD player to your receiver. Then you will need to setup the audio output properly on the Samsung BD player to enable Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 output via the digital optical cable. My Sony BDP-S350 player, for example, defaults to PCM audio on the optical output and needed to be changed to DD and DTS. Your Samsung may have the same default setting.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Well, you're actually on the right path so far. You want to run an optical cable from your Samsung to your receiver (which you've done). The only thing you didn't talk about was the setup on your Bluray player. Go to the audio setup page for your Samsung (page 35 of the user manual). Follow the steps and ensure that your audio is set for PCM. Also, you may need to set the "PCM downsampling" to ON. You receiver does not support the latest HD sound formats so you'll have the player perform the decoding before sending the signal to your receiver (that's what the PCM setting does).

I'm assuming that you are trying to play a BluRay disc with 5.1 sound (i.e. not a stereo soundtrack) when you are testing this, right?

Good luck!

nrrussell

Auditioning
Real Name
Nick
Yes I just bought the player and bought Transformers at the same time and I was just testing it out. Thank you both for your input and I will check the settings to see if I can figure this thing out. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hickskeith007
Recent bookmarks