Please help? Apartment toilet wont flush!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by McPaul, Mar 15, 2003.

1. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    whenever I press the handle it tries, the water churns for a second or two but no flushing. Thankfully it doesn't fill with water either with each attempted flush!

I don't want to get the super involved as I've had a stomach virus the past few days and the toilet's a little "used" [​IMG]

I have to go somewhere for a couple hours tonight, hopefully that will give it time to "settle" but if there are any plumbers out there who could provide a possible solution I would greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks for any input!

2. Drue Elrick

Drue Elrick Stunt Coordinator

Try holding the handle down until its done emptying the tank. Sounds like the chain on the handle inside is too long or lose and the water exit cover is being sucked closed before all the water exits.

3. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt Cinematographer

Adam
    In the meantime, if it's a conventional toilet, dump a bucket of water down it (or a saucepan of water). This will flush it.

Adam

4. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

It's probably clogged, a plunger should do the trick.

5. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    well, I pulled the cover off that thing this morning (ewwwwwwwww) and tried pulling the chain myself, no go. (although it did flush once late last night when I got home). The water level in the bowl never rises (which is a good thing) I tried dumping a couple liters of water down the tank and it didn't seem to help either (pulled the chain and the only thing that happened that time is the bowl filled up a bit more with water) A friend told me that if the bowl doesn't fill with water then it doesn't need plunging, but I will try it. Don't have a plunger so I guess this is a good time to get one! Will give it a try..... thx.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

7. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Thanks Malcolm, that sort of did it, I filled the tank up to almost the top of the (overflow?) tube, and then tried flushing it, and it flushed! Everything went down! However, the level in the tank is VERY low. Perhaps a liter, or half a liter? Is there anything I can do to correct this? Is there something perhaps wrong with the refil mechanism?

edit: I just put my ear very close to the top of the tank and I could barely hear a bit of hissing.

8. david stark

david stark Second Unit

Usually in the tank there is a float attached to a metal pole. If you push the float down more water should flow into the tank and if you lift it up it should stop. Where this pole is attached to the tank there is usually a screw or something that you can turn to set where the cut of point is.

Is water always slowly running from the tank into the bowl?? I had this problem a while ago and the rubber washer that makes the seal at the bottom of the tank needed replacing and it was always leaking so the tank never filled up.

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

10. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    I don't seem to get water flowing in there constantly but that could be an issue. Now that I've got rid of my "mess" I will get the super to fix whatever the problem is, thanks for all your help everyone!

11. BrettB

BrettB Producer

Since it works occasionaly, most likely the fill valve (a mechanical valve opening and closing with every use) in the tank is bad.

If there were a problem with the water supply or shut-off valve (calcified deposits) you would either have restricted flow and it would work, albeit slowly, or it would be completely blocked and not work at all.

12. Marc Carra

Marc Carra Supporting Actor

Why, oh why was I somehow compelled to click on this thread and read it, even though I have no plumbing knowledge??! Anyway, I'm glad you fixed the problem, Paul. One of my worst nightmares would be to have a toilet overflow its contents onto my bathroom floor. Eeeewwwww!

Marc.

13. McPaul

McPaul Screenwriter

Paul M
    Marc... because you care about your fellow Canucks? ha, thanks, I'm the same way, I click on lots of things I don't know anything about, just to see what's up and learn something new. Nothing overflowed here, and I'm thankful, waiting for a new gasket from the super so I'm flushing manually for the time being... [​IMG]