What's new

Please help a novice! Harman Kardon AVR 110/210! (1 Viewer)

Nick Westbridge

Auditioning
Hey everyone,
Alrighty, I'm very novice when it comes to home theatre audio. I have an opportunity to buy a Harman Kardon AVR 110 for $450CAN or a AVR 210 for $650CAN. Just wondering a few things about these: a)are they good receivers? I've heard good things about the brand, but am not totally sure, and b)how do they compare with each other? Is the 210 worth the extra cash?
This is a limited time offer (until tomorrow), so I kinda need to know how you'd rate these. I also have the opportunity to get a Pioneer VSX-D510 or VSX-D710S for $150CAN and $350CAN respectively. Would either of these be the better deal? I've been a long time reader of these forums and have learned to respect the professional opinions put forth here, so any help would be greaty appreciated. Thanx in advance.
Nick Wesbridge

chris larralde

Stunt Coordinator
I've had the AVR310 and the AVR510. Can't say anything bad about either ... very musical, warm, and dynamic. Don't be fooled by the wattage as they are very powerful receivers (louder than some 100 watt receivers out there).
I say go for it. If I could do it all over again, I'd still stay with the HK.
regards,
chris

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Like Chris was saying, don't let HK's power ratings fool you. HK uses ultra-high bandwidth, wide-range power amps in all of their receivers (which is why they're so HEAVY). As far as their amplifier sections as concerned, they're far superior products to Pioneer's consumer-level (non-Elite; well, except for the VSX-709S of course, tee hee) line.
The only real advantage you'd be getting with the 710S over both HK models you mentioned is component video switching; that's about it though.
You also get Logic7 decoding (a similar algorithm to DPLII) in HK's current receivers, an added bonus.
------------------

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I have the AVR500 and HK is sweet sounding. I had mine cranked way up there for a demo of Pitch Black in the opening ship scene and the HK didn't blink or flinch. The sound had no distortion, just crisp, clean sound. Check to see if the 210 has Logic 7. This is the closest thing to DPLII and with comparisons on some articles Logic 7 achieved the same results DPLII did. You have a new respect for any DPL or stereo source. Very good machines especially for the money.
------------------
If loving Home Theater is
wrong, I don't want to be
right!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks