What's new

Please help a newbie hook up X-Box to HDTV and get 720p and DD 5.1 (1 Viewer)

Rolando

Screenwriter
Hi guys,

I got an HDTV recently and I am thinking on getting an X-Box based on the fact that I hear it can do 720p.

Now I assume it's only on some games right? I am also guessing it does not come with component wires out of the box right? Is it an adapter or does it replace the original wire? Does the X-Box do 5.1 as well? does that mean I need a coaxial wire too or the component wire assume you have 5.1 and comes with one?

Basically I am asking what do I need to get with my Xbox to rock in HD and 5.1?

David Galindo

Screenwriter
It was pretty easy to get the Xbox running in Hi-Def and 5.1...up until a few months ago. :angry:

Your XBox comes with composite cables out of the box, and it hooks up to the back of the Xbox. If you want Hi-Def, you need to buy some Xbox cables.

Microsoft first released a "HD AV Pack" in the Xbox's early years. It had a component output and an optical out port. It was great.

But now, Microsoft only carries a new Hi Definition AV Pack, which has a component out but...get this...only has a basic red/white audio jack.

In addition, Ive heard that the older HD AV pack that had the optical out wasnt magnetically shielded, messing up CRT TVs and such (never messed up mine, so take that with a grain of salt).

SO, your main option would be to either hunt down an older HD pack (like this one) or get a Monster Cable HD pack (found here). I use the Monster Cables, and while expensive (almost $110 with optic support) they work great. Id recommend the older HD pack though, since its cheaper ($20!) and pretty much gets the job done just as well.

Whew, there ya go! Oh, and dont forget to change the settings on the hard drive of your Xbox Dashboard by booting up the XBox without a disc.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Rolando...u might try any EB store or Gamestop and search their pre-owned hardware as I've seen some from time to time. I heard that about the newer ones not having the optical. I got mine like a few days it came out so.....

Brian_Pete

Stunt Coordinator
FYI. I have the newer HD Pack and it DOES have the optical output. It's on the back of the connector that plugs into the Xbox. Still only $20.

I actually sold my monster cables when I realized that Microsoft was making the cables without the box in between. I saved a lot of money.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
yeah, the optical output jack is actually in the plug which connects to the Xbox end...

Mike Fassler

Supporting Actor
the cables you need are made by a company called psyclone and you can get them at circuit city. here is their website so you can check it out. I use these on my xbox and it has the optical audio port and everything built in. well worth the money spent on them.

http://www.psyclonecables.com/home.html

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
:confused: An optical output doesn't need magnetic shielding: photons won't affect or be affected by magnetic fields.

Perhaps the cabling was causing secondary problems, but it shouldn't have been a shielding problem in the normal sense.

Any more info about that supposed quirk? It's an odd one.

David Galindo

Screenwriter

I think I actually read it here on the forums...its not shielded in some way, and I assumed it was magnetically? It messed with picture quality, in other words. Does this sound right?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks for all the info guys.

Is there a wire that gives component and single coaxial for 5.1? or is optical the only option?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks