What's new

Please help a newb with Cable hook up (1 Viewer)

Kris_T

Auditioning
Hi Everyone.

I currently have a Sony XBR (I know its old now and its only 2 years old... :frowning: ) with A Denon Receiver, Satellite hook up and DVD player. I wired everything together (the way I thought was correct) and aren't sure how to make the TV speakers work with my surround sound system. What am I doing wrong in terms of hook up? I would like to utilize the TV speakers with the Surround sound system (I have a center channel, two towers, and now two rears).

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long read.

Kris

Brad E

Second Unit
Sounds like you just need to run an audio cable out from your receiver to the TV.

I recommend that you don't do this however. Your TV speakers are just going to ruin the sound, or sound different than the rest of your speakers at the least.
For example, on a DD or DTS track, a sound that was only meant to come out of the surrounds will also come out of the TV speakers.

Kris_T

Auditioning
Never thought of that...Thanks for the input. I just wanted to try and see what it would sound like.

I tried to hook up the audio cables to the receiver (from the tv) but nothing. No sound from the tv speakers what so ever...What am I doing wrong?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Make sure you are plugged into the audio OUTPUT from the TV (most televisions have audio INPUTS that look the same as outputs).

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Kris,

In order for the TV speakers to get sound, you have to have something plugged into the audio jacks of one of the so-called video inputs.

Problem is, home theater receivers like your Denon only send a video feed to the TV.

So in order to get sound from the TV speakers, you would have to plug your satellite receiver or DVD player directly to the TV instead if the Denon.

Of course, as Brad mentioned, you really don’t want to do this. You didn’t mention what speakers you’re using with your system, but even bottom-of-the-line home theater speakers will sound better than the ones built into the TV.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Kris_T

Auditioning
Thanks for all your advice. I do appreciate it.
Supposedly the XBR speakers were there high end speakers 2 years ago. I bought my set up pretty much at Good Guys (I know now this probably wasn't the smartest place to go...). I have the Denon 1804 (I think this is low end?) and Connseiur (sp?) C-9 towers, C-3 Center Channel and now bookshelf C-3's for my surround. I'm still working on the sub...also got hooked up with the Monster power 5100, Voltage stabilizer (AV2000) and a Monster Amp...(I didn't pay retail...I know Monster isn't the best company on this board so please don't flame me :frowning: ). Thanks for the advice. Anything else you'd like to advise me with or comment on is greatly appreciated.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Nothing at all wrong with Monster products...they just tend to be a little over priced at retail. A sub will make the biggest difference in anything you're trying to do. Like any speaker, not the place to skimp.

I've got my system setup like what you're attempting. From the box (cable or sat) run coax/optical out to the receiver and left and right stereo from the box to the audio inputs of the TV. When I just want to watch the news I just use the TV's speakers and leave the receiver off. For surround I just turn off the TV's speakers (or turn them down) and fire up the receiver. You can run them both at the same time if you want, but I'll guarantee it'll sound excremential ;)

Mort

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

I actually like Good Guys. They carry some of the better retail lines, good return policy and fairly good sales people. You did fine.

Dennon is a great brand. Although I like Yamaha, I would not turn down a Dennon if it was a good price.

And your speakers are by a company called "Energy".

About 10-15 years ago the Canadian government funded some acoustic research center. A few years later, the quality of speakers from Canada all took a jump, but stayed fairly low price. Your Energy Connoisseur speakers have been well reviewed in magazines.

All in all - you have some well-respected equipment.

I second Mort's advice. A external subwoofer will add the low-end punch to make your room sound like a movie theater.

(I am assuming you DID get your sound working?)

Kris_T

Auditioning
Thanks for the input everyone. I did get the sound working and of course you are all right...it sounds terrible with the tv speakers and ht together...lol...:)

I am looking into a sub right now. I will more than likely go to Good Guys again to pick it up. Anything else besides cables to make the sound sound any better?

I currently am running, you guessed it, Monster cabling...all Z3 series cables...

Thanks again.

Kris

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Unless you can get a substantial discount at Good Guys (and I too like GG and have spent a boat load of money there) I think you'll be better off looking into a HSU, Outlaw, or SVS subs. My local GG had Klipsch, Velodyne and others I've forgotten, but none came close to the SVS I ended up purchasing.....for a lot less money as a bonus.

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks