What's new

Please help a DVD newbie (1 Viewer)

PeteS

Auditioning
I'm looking for an inexpensive DVD player. I'm not the videophile that many of you on this site are, I'm simply looking for a good all-around player for less than $300 (the cheaper the better). I'll be using it with my Toshiba 32-A61 via component video connections. I'm looking for solid audio and video quality, and prefer (but can live without) CD-R, CD-RW, & MP3 playback if it can be found in this price range. Also I want something that will play most DVDs (rentals) without any problems and handles layer changes relatively smoothly. Anyone have some good recommendations?

PaulKH

Second Unit
Tons of choices given your parameters. Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic, Apex, should all impress you, and all have models for under $200.
I take it your TV doesn't support progressive?

Sean-D

Agent
Pete consider the Panasonic RP-56 DVD player. It has just about everything you could want for under 300 dollars.
* Progressive Scan video (480P)
(with the sage/faroudja chip for high quality playback)
* Plays all these formats: DVD-video,CD,CDR,CD-RW,MP3 and Video CD.
* Component Video output(selectable 480P or 480i)
* 24bit/96kHz audio DAC
* 249.99 list price
P.S. Pete even if you don't have a progressive scan input on your television, buy a progressive scan player now anyway.If you don't you'll be kicking yourself down the road when you upgrade your set and it has progressive inputs and you only have an interlaced player.Most Circuit City,Best Buy,and Sears carry them.
------------------
Sean-D.
"If at first you don't succeed...,remove all evidence that you ever tried."
[Edited last by Sean-D on October 15, 2001 at 10:55 PM]

PeteS

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies guys. Correct, my current TV does not support progressive scan. I've been debating if it's worth getting a progressive scan DVD player since I expect to use this TV for quite some time. I'm an apartment dweller and am not ready to shell out the $$ for a great home theater setup just yet. I'm sure DVD players will change alot between now and the time I'm ready to build my dream home theater, which is one reason I want to stick to the low-end stuff for now.
I guess I should have been more specific in my first post to clarify things. I know there are lots of sub $200 players out there, I guess what I'm looking for is the best of the lower-tier DVD players. If you have any other specific models that you feel are worth checking out please let me know!
[Edited last by PeteS on October 16, 2001 at 02:11 AM]

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
the RP56 can be had for around $200 if you look hard enough. i think i saw it for $205 at etronics.com but i'm sure J&R has it for $225. that price is always negociable too :).
if you want to step down a little, go with the Panny RV-31. that's around $170 at jandr.com and maybe cheaper at etronics.com. i dont recommend you do this; although it is a great interlaced player, i agree with getting a progressive scan player now. i currently use my computer monitor (see my webpage...) and am planning on buying a nice tube TV for next year. it'll be a few years before i can afford a digital flatscreen, but i'm on the verge of buying a DVD-A player with progressive scan output. it'll save you $$ in the long run.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks