What's new

Please help! 1920x1080i is NOT a good resolution on my HTPC (1 Viewer)

Matty B

Stunt Coordinator
My HTPC works fine at 640x480 with a picture that is MUCH better than any hardware DVD player I've seen in action, but at 1920x1080 it wont even play the movie. Well it will but it looks HORRIBLE. I can't even explain how the screen looks. I guess the best way to describe it is that it starts 1/4 of the way into the screen and the first 1/4 of the screen is on the right side of the TV. Does that make sense?
For example, if the word computer were across the screen, my TV would display it like this:
PUTERCOM
I think that this has SOMETHING to do with the fact that I have a 4:3 HDTV and not a 16:9. Shouldn't my TV be able to discern the difference though? It's a BRAND new Toshiba with 3:2 pulldown and anamorphic squeeze. The Toshiba 61H71. Im using an ATI Radeon all in wonder with powerstrip and I'm sending the signal via an RCAD300 VGA to component video converter. PLEASE let me know if there is something I missed here because I desperately want to watch movies at 1080 instead of 480p.
Thanks!

AllenD

Second Unit
Try another resolution based on your TVs specs. Dig up the manual and see what's the set's max resolution. 1920x1080 is a 1.78:1 aspect ration, not 4.3:1.

Users who are viewing this thread