Please Give Me Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Ron.T, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Hi guys, please bear with me here. I have posted a couple of times and was asking about a Sony DA2ES receiver. I got a little more $$ than I was planning and am wondering if I should make a change. The store has the DA2ES for $359.99 and a HK AVR 520 for $449.99. I have the DA2 on lay away. What do you guys think? I have always wanted a ES AV receiver, but I realize the DA2 is not a true ES piece.

Thanks for your thoughts, Ron

2. Ron.T

Ron.T Agent

Anyone??

Thanks, Ron

3. Steve_L_B

Steve_L_B Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    The 2ES is based upon the STR-DB series which is probably 90% identical to Sony's ES design. The differences are mostly in the power amplifier's power supply and heat sinks. The 2ES is virtually identical to the 4ES in every other aspect except that it's 6.1 vs 7.1 and slightly smaller in size. I recently upgraded from a Sony STR-DB830 to a 4ES. I was very satified with the DB830 and never thought it was under-powered. The only reason I upgraded was to get component switching capability. I actually wanted a 2ES but I couldn't find anyone with it in stock, so I went with the 4ES. I'm very happy with the 4ES (although it was considerably larger than the DB830 and didn't fit in my rack as well) and I'm sure I'd have been just as satisfied with the 2ES.

Like the 4ES, the 2ES has a lot of features and set-up flexibility. IMHO, the 2ES would make a great HT receiver and you are getting it at a good price.

-Steve