Please give me some advice to get me started...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Manuel Parrado, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Manuel Parrado

Manuel Parrado Stunt Coordinator

Hello all.
    I'm planning to buy a RPTV in the next few months.
    I was wondering if you could suggest some models I should be looking at (reading about them and checking out in the stores, for what its worth) to start my research.
    Here are the decision constraints:
    - Price is at a premium.am targetting $1500 at the most.
    - Will be used mostly to watch DVD's so I want widescreen.
    - Will settle for as small as 47"
    - Would be happy one of those that can be placed on top of a small table to hold the a/v equipment but this is not a requirement
    I want HDTV ready because I am under the impression that they make DVD's look better than conventional RPTV's. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Also because since it is a hefty expense, I would want it to be prepared for tomorrow's techonology.
    I've heard that sets that convert 480p to 540p don't do a great job at it. I don't have a progressive DVD player right now, but will eventually have one. Is this really an issue?
    Please throw out some models that may fit this requirements.
    I'm specially intersted in obtaining a good deal on quality vs. price (isn't everybody?).
    Any help will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Manuel

2. Manuel Parrado

Anyone?

3. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

*EDIT*

I'm an idiot; never mind.

Sorry, Manuel, good luck in your search.

Matt

4. Manuel Parrado

No problem.

5. John-Miles

John-Miles Screenwriter

Manuel try looking at some company websites, look at the products you can afford, then ask for opinions on them here. that usually gets better results. buying a tv can be such a personal thing that alot of people dont want to weigh in with their opinions.
    i mean personally i say get direct view [​IMG]
    but thats just me and so you see my point.

6. Manuel Parrado

Thanks for the tip, John.

I agree that direct view gets you better quality without the hassle, but going big on direct veiw, really implies dishing the big bucks.

That's why I'm opting for rptv. I want size but can't afford to allocate thousands on it.

I'll use your technique.

Regards,

Manuel

7. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Your maximum ceiling of $1,500 might prove limiting. Bear in mind also that nonHD-capable RPTVs are being phased out by the OEMs. Do not spend $1,500 on an obselescent technology.

8. Manuel Parrado

Thanks. I pretty much have my mind set-up on getting an HDTV ready unit.

9. bill craig

bill craig Auditioning

I see your in mich. you might try one of SEARs warehouse outlets . I have seen some good prices there. same warrenty as new.

10. Manuel Parrado

Thanks Bill.

I had forgotten about that.
    I'll take a stroll by the one in Livonia and see what they have.

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Keep us posted, Manuel. I want to hear about what you select. Good luck. (Panasonic makes a certain 47-inch little honey you might be able to get.)

12. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

For $1500, you're probably not going to find anything in the widescreen market. I was able to get a 43" 4:3 Hitachi HDTV for $1290 open box at circuit city. They also gave me the choice of a free Apex DVD Player (No Way) or $95 towards any other DVD player, so i put it towards an open box Panasonic RP56 Progressive scan that was marked down to $140 (Final cost of DVD w/ the $95 credit was $45!!). I'm extremely happy with the set up, especially since i walked out w/ a 43" RP HDTV and a Progressive Scan DVD player for around $1400 after tax.

The only way you're going to find a widescreen RPTV for under $1500 is to find that Panasonic model open box. If you can find it open box in your price range, go for it.

13. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

For $1500, you can get the 47" Panasonic if you get a deal on it, or the 47" Samsung if you can get a deal on it. That's about it.

You said you don't want an analog, which is fine, but as far as them being obsolete... right now a person basically has to pay $500 more for the priviledge of paying even more for an HD tuner. And an HD tuner on an analog set will give dvd-quality 480p anyway once that time comes. Unless someone is going to pay the extra to watch HD, then the only difference between sets is $500 to have progressive instead of interlaced, and reading up on plenty of people's posts here, they can barely tell the difference from 10 feet away.

Is a five-year-old TV obsolete? No. And it won't be in five years either when a then-cheap digital tuner is added.

14. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

There is a big difference between picture quality between digital and analog..As mentioned previously stay away from analog..Most of the major players in TV are discontinuing their analog sets..

15. Manuel Parrado

Thanks for the answers so far.
    I'm zeroing in on the Panasonic line.
    Thanks to a discont to the company I work for, I can get the 47wx42 for 1450 and the 47wx52 (the one with the protective screen) actually cheaper at 1425. These figures include white glove delivery and are before tax.
    I have a small child (and another in the design stage) and would certainly benefit from having the protection of the screen. However, I've read people end up removing the screen anyway to improve picture quality.
    Is this so?
    Is this screen something you can easily take off for watching a movie and then putting back on?
    I could also get the 53wx52 for 1670 or the 53wx42 for 1568. The added size size appealing, but the 245 price different is somewhat steep.
    However, I could get the 47wx42 at onecall.com for 1529 and the 53wx42 for 1709, both delivered. I could try a price match in Sears also. The advantage would be that is a special financing option that defers payments and intersts for a full year, so I could pay it little by little withoug worrying about intersts.
    Please talk to me about the screen issue to help make my mind.
    Any comments on my buying options, are also welcomed
    Thanks in advance.

16. Brad_V

Brad_V Second Unit

17. Mike Nelms

Mike Nelms Extra

Hi Manuel,

I received my PT-47WX52 Panasonic 3 weeks ago. Absolutely frickin LOVE it. So does my wife...she was very reluctant until she watched a DVD with me on it. I opted for the built in screen shield model because I have 2 small kids, one wild teenager, and it keeps the dust off the REAL screen and I DO NOT regret it one bit. We live in a smaller house and 47" is perfect!!!

I get a great picture on mine with the shield on. It cannot be easily removed on the 47WX52 model it is built in.

I LOVE my Panny 47WX52

Good luck!

Mike

18. Manuel Parrado

Mike, thanks for the response.

I need some kind of screen, that's for sure.
    Lately I was wondering if the built-in one would be better than any DIY (you can guess which option my wife prefers, aesthetically).

I'm about to order the 53wx52 either today or tomorrow.
    I guess I just have the nervousness of having had to make so many decisions:
    - regular vs hdtv
    - 4:3 vs 16:9
    - shield vs no shield
    - 480p vs 540p
    - 47" vs 53"
    - panas. vs sony vs hitachi vs mits. vs toshiba vs pioneer
    - DVI vs no DVI (this one gave me a run for my money for a whole day until I decided: to hell with it, we shouldn't let Sony (and its Movie Company) lure us into that crap)

Anyway, it's enough to make your head spin.
    A quote form the ISF site:
    "Teenage angst is nothing. To understand real pain, consider the grown man trying to buy a big-screen television in the year 2000."
    I think it's even more painful in the year 2002.
    Especially so when you are going to dish out more than $1500 plus for a luxury item which you are not entirely sure how it's going to look.
    But so is life.

I will post when I receive mine and possibly bug more people for calibration tips and sharing my own experiences.

Regards,

Manuel

19. Manuel Parrado

By the way, Mike:

How far do you sit from your TV?
    Does it feel right?
    I'll be sitting 11' from mine.

Thanks.

20. Mike Nelms

Mike Nelms Extra

I sit anywhere from 10'-13' from my set. It's perfect size for my room.

Mike