What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
How about Betty and Steve on the drawing room rug of the Peyton Mansion with lovely Adrienne looking on. Another one of my particular favorites. That show went south the minute Betty and Rod said I do the second time. Barbara and James I thought worked great together.

So Jack you too own both vhs and dvds of Dark Shadows and like me must have all best of and the edited vhs. People would ask me where my new car was and I would open the door and say look in there. I loved to see the shock on their faces.

You are a High School Drama Teacher or Educator I think I read in a post. My high school drama teacher constantly dressed up cape hair the cane the works as Barnabas on a regular basis. I do not lie strike me dead now. The cool part was he even looked like Jonathan Frid. Needless to say he was fan Haaaaaaaaa

To show how mixed up I am I have an autograped picture Jonathan sent me in 1967 or early 68 and I have it framed on my night stand just as I had when I was a kid.

Glad to help out Charles. Anytime I can help out just ask.

Goodnight Gentleman

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I just checked IMDB and it said the first pilot for the series was filmed in '62. That was a few years before, the series started in 64. I wonder if that was with Malone, Nelson, Farrow, Parkins, etc ?? Or an entirely different cast ??

Someone had written that in the comments..................

How was the daytime series ?? As good as the original ?? Did they do outdoor scenes as well. It seems like I remember they ran one episode in the evening ??

If memory serves me correctly..........I never saw the second series.....

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Mark Collins said:
So Jack you too own both vhs and dvds of Dark Shadows and like me must have all best of and the edited vhs. People would ask me where my new car was and I would open the door and say look in there. I loved to see the shock on their faces.
You are a High School Drama Teacher or Educator I think I read in a post. My high school drama teacher constantly dressed up cape hair the cane the works as Barnabas on a regular basis. I do not lie strike me dead now. The cool part was he even looked like Jonathan Frid. Needless to say he was fan Haaaaaaaaa
Yes Mark, I am a high school drama teacher who has shared Dark Shadows with my students to very enthusiastic responses.
Peyton Place and Dark Shadows are the only television watching I do these days. We are working on our school play, and I come home pretty exhausted. My dose of each show is just the escapism I need before going to bed to start another day again.
Thanks Charles for the episode number for the sailing trip with Rod and Allison! I have not gotten there yet, but it won't be long!
Jack

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Evidently, my best friend and I are not the only people on earth who love and miss this show.

I came upon it first when it was rerun in some Fox markets around 1992-1994.

If you do not yet know this show from having seen it, or from our entusiasm in this thread, it is one of the most entertaining and addictive shows ever.

However Shout puts this together (best ofs? bits and pieces...) I'll take it....hoping for a digital glance at Nurse Esther Choate, Stella Chernak,

and a couple of drinks at Ada Jacks' tavern. HOORAYYYYY!!!!!

And...I was too excited to post to read through the last three pages......has someone already mentioned the pilot footage that exists in the ABC '64 FALL PREVIEW show that (I believe) is floating around in public domain?

The clips there have pilot scenes of Dorothy Malone being introduced to Ed Nelson in the square and calling him "Mr" Rossi, rather than doctor.

Not sure if those brief moments will ever see a legit release.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Charles that book sounds very interesting for and die hard fan of the show such as I. Jack you stated my feelings exactly about both Peyton Place and Dark Shadows. I just need to let the busy life we all lead to slow to a gentle pace and those particular shows do it for me. I even let my phone ring and refuse to answer while viewing the show.

I have some more to comment on this but not until I collect my thoughts. Y

The daytime soap I belive was filmed with the same town square I thought the Peyton Mansion was the same. Ely Ada and Rita were there. I saw maybe five or ten minutes of the show. I either have read or heard plot lines for the show and even how it ended. I will not spoil that for anyone. Iam not sure about an evening episode. It could be possible trying to get the public interested. The only daytime soap I know of that aired an evening episode was The Edge Of Night which aired a 90 minute episode on AbC late night in the early 70s. This had happened when ABC had pickup the show after CBS had dumped it.

Yes I also hope after the 514 shows and post show movies are out that Shout could release the daytime soap. Then all Peyton Place would be on Dvd.

Selena Cross was in it and they did a nation wide search for the new Allison. Martin Peyton was also in the series.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I know this is up for preorder on Amazon, but why can't I find any press releases on this, or any info on it from the Shout Factory site itself? Seems odd.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Jack Cleveland said:
Peyton Place and Dark Shadows are the only television watching I do these days. We are working on our school play, and I come home pretty exhausted. My dose of each show is just the escapism I need before going to bed to start another day again.
Jack,
In my opinion, you could do a whole lot worse than watching these two fine shows. May I come over? Just kidding. ;)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jefferson said:
I know this is up for preorder on Amazon, but why can't I find any press releases on this, or any info on it from the Shout Factory site itself? Seems odd.
Shout!'s process, like that of almost every other studio, is to first inform retailers, and then weeks later to inform press, and then around that time to post the info on their consumer site.
I'm getting my initial TSoD info from the retailer contacts I've developed over the years. So I get my info waaay earlier than other press.
For example, I posted Rhoda info on 12/18, and a Rhoda press release on 2/18:
TVShowsOnDVD.com - News for Rhoda
It was a similar 2-month gap between "retail announce" and "press release" for other 2009 releases from Shout!, such as Simon & Simon, Calf. Dreams, Paper Chase, Mr. Belvedere and Room 222.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the place named after that South American river is selling it at a reduced pre-order price. Please place your orders now. Also, ask your local video dealer to get Peyton Place for you- the more word is spread, the better our chances for even more volumes being released at a faster pace!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

You were going to post that cast photo from the unaired pilot. Were you able to locate it ??

Thanks !!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I found it and scanned it, but it's too big for this forum. Send me your e-mail address in a PM, and I'll send it over to you. Likewise anyone else who wants to see this TV curio- a look as to what the show might have been.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Does anyone have any good info or a link to info on the daytime version? I'm not sure what I'm hearing--was it really a continuation of the primetime serial? Or was it a reboot? In other words, is it worth rooting for Shout to release it after the primetime sets are complete? (I know--there's a LOT of sets to get thru at any rate. But after Dark Shadows--it's do-able).

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Well, the daytime version was more-or- less a sequel, with a good deal of the major continuing characters from the nighttime show, but mostly recast with other actors. And there were continuity errors- most notably a pivotal character from the original show who had died offscreen was brought back to life without a single explanation. One of the writer/producers of the daytime version was James Lipton- yes, that James Lipton!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

I sent you the address, am anxiously awaiting the photo !!!

Thanks,

Alan

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place and Dark Shadows are very much the same in quite a few areas.

Voice overs on each episode

No repeat episodes

Widows Hill / Sailors Bluff

Collinsport / Peyton Place

Blue Whale / Adas Place

18 years a magic number

Collinwood Mansion / Peyton Mansion

Collins Cannery / Peyton Mills

Absent Fathers for 18 years

Beach Houses

One significant Love triangle

Portraits and Painters

Collinsport Inn /Colonial Inn

The list could go on with camera work and writing and music and actors all top drawer. The two shows also had that timeless quality about them which makes them still work so well today

I never had a chance to watch an episode of the daytime soap Passions but I do remember TV Guide describing it as Peyton Place meets Dark Shadows.

I was so happy to see Peyton Place get a mention. I then realized that the author of the article saw these two shows as being very much the same.

Dark Shadows with supernatural plots spinning around one central character.

Peyton Place a miniseries of plots spinning around one central character.

Peyton Place and Dark Shadows both had that certain something the nightime soaps that followed lacked in some way.

How egocentric I am to state all this and I apoligize to anyone who reads this.

So I think Jack is on to something about watching the two shows back to back. Now if we could get all those Shadows fans to buy Peyton Place like Dark Shadows we would have it made.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Mark Collins said:
So I think Jack is on to something about watching the two shows back to back. Now if we could get all those Shadows fans to buy Peyton Place like Dark Shadows we would have it made.
As one person on this Board who has watched a considerable amount of Dark Shadows, I can assure you that I will be doing my part and purchasing at least two copies of every Peyton Place issue.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Mark Collins said:
Peyton Place and Dark Shadows are very much the same in quite a few areas.
The list could go on with camera work and writing and music and actors all top drawer. The two shows also had that timeless quality about them which makes them still work so well today
I never had a chance to watch an episode of the daytime soap Passions but I do remember TV Guide describing it as Peyton Place meets Dark Shadows.
I was so happy to see Peyton Place get a mention. I then realized that the author of the article saw these two shows as being very much the same.
Dark Shadows with supernatural plots spinning around one central character.
Peyton Place a miniseries of plots spinning around one central character.
Peyton Place and Dark Shadows both had that certain something the nightime soaps that followed lacked in some way.
How egocentric I am to state all this and I apoligize to anyone who reads this.
Interesting - cold ABC have told Dan Curtis to create a quality daytime soap similar to "Peyton Place" but with a twist? Both "Peyton Place" and "Dark Shadows"

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps. Dan Curtis had the sold the concept of Dark Shadows to ABC, and had TV writer Art Wallace create the story of the Collins family and their freinds and enemies. As I said before, two of the DS writers worked on Peyton Place: Sam Hall worked briefly as a story consultant early in the show's run prior to writing for Dark Shadows, and after his time on DS, Malcolm Marmorstein wrote during the final season of Peyton Place.
Another big similarity: both shows were originally built around an ingenue character (Allison/Victoria), and when both actresses left their shows halfway through the series' runs due to real-life events (Mia Farrow left to marry Frank Sinatra, Alexandra Moltke left due to pregnancy), both characters left the story in mysterious circumstances, shortly after each ingenue found the body of a murdered woman!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks