What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles, please try to post the photo from the pilot if you can. Maybe copy and paste or drag into the box...............

I think Monash did the pilot, and then Philips came in and viewed it and started ripping it apart. I read somewhere on the net, that the pilot was an hour long and pretty much followed the film. Philips felt the CROSS family were unsavory for a series. To me the after, Mia left the series lost steam ............ Sort of like when Victoria Principal left "DALLAS". "Peyton Place" never recovered, wonder why they never recast her to me Leigh Taylor Young would have been the perfect Allison. Did you know Charmaine Carr from the "SOUND OF MUSIC" auditioned for Allison ??

See if you can post the photo !! Would love to see the CROSS family, wonder if Nellie was still Constance's housekeeper ??

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK- here's a photo of Dorothy Malone with Mia Farrow and Gyl Roland (who played Selena in the pilot), obviously they're going over the failed pilot script, LOL! Note the short 'do' on Dorothy: for the first year she wore a wig as "Constance", but finally was allowed to use her own hair as it got longer. I'm trying to locate the pilot cast photo, it's in a folder somewhere in my room (I'm convinced that I'm the reincarnation of one of the Collyer brothers). I don't know if this board can take an 8x10 photo, though. I had to do a LOT of cropping just to post this photo (my first on the board!).Claude- here's a DS connection: Gyl Roland was Joan Bennett's niece!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Great photo Charles, how did you come across this one ??

Can't wait to see that cast photo from the pilot !

Thanks

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I felt the show did not lose steam until George left the show. Then the purge of charaters with new added and a new opening for the show as well. Teen sex the Veitnam War African Americans as regulars race issues call girls and much much more.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I'm really pleased that this is occurring, and that Shout! is handling it. I am even more pleased that the full-screen b&w video for the first two seasons is, according to the link, going to be used. I wouldn't purchase the set if the b&w seasons were colorized.
As I've mentioned before, I own Dark Shadows on VHS and DVD, and Peyton Place is the only other soap that I would purchase. However, I need to know for certain, and from about two or three authoritative sources, that these DVDs will include the program uncut before I lay out any money for the series. I think it will be uncut, but one never knows. For my own part, I also don't need any special features. The show was superb on its own, and it will be wonderful to see it in its entirety. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Charles,
Any idea what Peyton Place - Part I means? I see that the collection consists of 720 min. (12 hours). Is this one half of a season, a complete season, or something else? I'd rather not take a guess. Thanks.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Mark Collins said:
I felt the show did not lose steam until George left the show. Then the purge of charaters with new added and a new opening for the show as well. Teen sex the Vietnam War African Americans as regulars race issues call girls and much much more.
Exactly. George Macready's departure from the show really marked the beginning of the end, even more the abrupt dismissal of Dorothy Malone and Tim O'Connor a few months later in mid- '68. Martin Peyton was my favorite character of all: the wily old puppetmaster who manipulated everybody in town, and ruined many a life just to get what he wanted. He makes J.R. Ewing look like an altar boy by comparison!
It looks like the show will be on DVD in the same manner Dark Shadows was: a couple of weeks (or months) of episodes to be released every other month or so- or so I hope!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

Do you know if the pilot still exists ?? I love "PEYTON PLACE" the first few years, and after ALLISON, left the series it was never the same to me.

They should have recast the role, like they did with Fallon on "DYNASTY". It was never the same. I wish they would include the PILOT !!! That would be a treat. Please don't forget the cast photo from the PILOT !!! Would LOVE TO SEE IT !!!

Thanks !!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
If I can find it, I'll try to scan it. I don't know if the pilot still exists. As for Dynasty, I felt replacing Pamela Sue Martin with Emma Samms was a huge mistake! She was totally miscast and should've stayed on General Hospital! And guess who told her daddy to hire Emma in the first place? That's right- 12-year-old Tori Spelling!

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
It's worth noting that the concept of "seasons" is nearly meaningless with PEYTON PLACE. The show was so immediately popular that it continued throughout the summers with new episodes. There were breaks in production, but Fox stockpiled enough episodes to carry the show through without repeats.

There are points here and there in the series' run where multiple storylines are wrapped up and new ones are launched over the course of one or two episodes, but those don't always coincide with the typical dates of a new TV season. There are occasional leaps forward in time by a few months, to kind of force a rejuvenation of the storytelling, but the first one doesn't occur until episode 69.

Looking back at my notes, I see that one minor storyline involving Dr. Rossi (Ed Nelson) is wrapped in episode 29, and that Elliot's parole & return to Peyton Place begins in episode 30 (even though Tim O'Connor had made dramatic cameos in a couple of earlier episodes). So I'm guessing Shout might divide the sets between 29 & 30, even though the major plotlines continue uninterrupted. In any case Shout will have a lot of angry buyers on its hands if it has to abandon PEYTON PLACE in the middle.

(Along those lines, it's pretty hilarious that despite the HTF's laudable anti-bootleg stance, Google's ad software drops a multitude of links to dubious sites selling boots of the entire PEYTON PLACE series into this page. I guess if Shout bails, people won't have to look very hard to finish the show.)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Stephen Bowie said:
It's worth noting that the concept of "seasons" is nearly meaningless with PEYTON PLACE. The show was so immediately popular that it continued throughout the summers with new episodes. There were breaks in production, but Fox stockpiled enough episodes to carry the show through without repeats.
There are points here and there in the series' run where multiple storylines are wrapped up and new ones are launched over the course of one or two episodes, but those don't always coincide with the typical dates of a new TV season. There are occasional leaps forward in time by a few months, to kind of force a rejuvenation of the storytelling, but the first one doesn't occur until episode 69.
Looking back at my notes, I see that one minor storyline involving Dr. Rossi (Ed Nelson) is wrapped in episode 29, and that Elliot's parole & return to Peyton Place begins in episode 30 (even though Tim O'Connor had made dramatic cameos in a couple of earlier episodes). So I'm guessing Shout might divide the sets between 29 & 30, even though the major plotlines continue uninterrupted. In any case Shout will have a lot of angry buyers on its hands if it has to abandon PEYTON PLACE in the middle.
(Along those lines, it's pretty hilarious that despite the HTF's laudable anti-bootleg stance, Google's ad software drops a multitude of links to dubious sites selling boots of the entire PEYTON PLACE series into this page. I guess if Shout bails, people won't have to look very hard to finish the show.)
Stephen,
Thanks, that's very helpful (Peyton Place and the concept of seasons).
I don't see Shout! abandoning this series. If they do it right, I'll be picking up two copies of each collection.
As far as your last paragraph is concerned, this is one series that I won't be booting, for both personal and philosophical reasons.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I agree about Dynasty the character should of disapeared with a question of return. Mia Farrow could never be replaced either. I two own all vhs best etc and dvd of Dark Shadwos and hope the release of Peyton Place will be like the MPI releases every other month or even ever month as they did before. I hope Shout will look at MPI and learn. Or even Dallas for that matter. I still how for Peyton Place Revisted and new Generation complete and not edited. I disliked the radical move the show made in its last year or so. I think they wanted to be more hip. Frankly the storylines bored me. The Betty and Steve sceans were all I like. They wanted to apear to older people in one breath with Eli and young people out for sex as well as the good Doctor and his girl frend.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
I have been watching episodes taped from the Romance Channel 10 years or so ago. The prints themselves certainly leave much to be desired, however, they were run complete with the teaser for the next episode. They run about 24 minutes each, so at 720 minutes we'll be getting 30 episodes in Volume 1.

The storylines are engaging, and the acting is excellent. It really is classic television at its' finest. I have really enjoyed the show, and I will be buying at least two sets at a time, and perhaps more for gifts. I'd love to see Shout! find success with this! Every other month would be a great release schedule... do you really think we could see that kind of consistency? MPI has done such an excellent job with Dark Shadows, I truly hope Peyton Place receives similiar treatment!

I'm hoping no one has to resort to bootlegs to see the entire run of this one.

Jack

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This is one series that I hope sells really well. I wonder if such a show would appeal to a younger (say, 20-30 year old) audience? I have no idea.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Ockeghem said:
This is one series that I hope sells really well. I wonder if such a show would appeal to a younger (say, 20-30 year old) audience? I have no idea.
All I would say to that is that whatever seemed shocking in 1964 would be considerably less so in 2009. Peyton Place was considered naughty and scandalous in its day; now we have Gossip Girl. I don't think 20-30 year olds will get into it, but it's perfect for nostalgia and should find its dvd-buying audience.
But geez--I don't know how many of you read the original novels, but they were easily about 20 times naughtier than the movie and tv shows...! Very salacious for their time; maybe they still are. It's easy to see why Selena was dropped after the pilot; if they followed her storyline from the novel, she'd have been brutally raped by her step-father and basically became the town slut. Not typical primetime tv fare.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I bought up all the novels and the two novels which number two was not like the movie with incest family murder. Two books on how the novels and movies came to be. The paper back novels were very shocking to me. The plots were designed to have a lot of sex and not much content. The romance channel did a fine job and I was glad when they repeated it for awhile. Martin Peyton was my favorite in the show. I think Allison leaving gave the show an opening for new plot lines even though I liked Mia Farrow. The Rod Betty Steve storyling was very Gone With The Wind in triangle That last year the show wanted to be everything to everybody.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Well, I guess I can only speak for myself here, but I'm turning 27 next month and to me, the news of this release was actually the best of everything posted on tvshowsondvd.com last Friday. I really can't wait to get into PEYTON PLACE! Without this show, most of the primetime soaps that followed probably wouldn't have seen the light of day.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I know many of you are against recasting a known role. However, do not forget for one season of "PEYTON PLACE" when Allison (was on her honeymoon with Sinatra) but on the series she was in a coma, Dorothy Malone was also away for open heart surgery and Lola Albright replaced her for the entire winter season that year, which I believe was three months. Similar to Donna Reed taking over for Ms. Ellie on "DALLAS". And no one said a word. As I remember she was great as Constance. Then later in the series George MacRaedy was away for an extended illness and Wilfred Hyde White stepped into the role. It was not a big deal with either being away from the series. I still think Leigh Taylor Young could have stepped in for Mia, after a few months and it would have been like she was always Allison. She had a very similar look.

As a matter of fact she and Ryan O'Neal got married as a result of "Peyton Place". I also read that Gene Tierney was to be cast as Constance in the sequel to the film "RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE" and then Eleanor Parker ended up with the role. I was hoping when they released the DVD of the film "Peyton Place", they would have included the pilot. There is alot of controversy concerning the pilot. Monash was very happy with it, and not sure what happened. I mean they certainly did not have to keep the angle of the storyline from the film in the series. The series bears no resemblance to the books or the films other than a few central characters. Every storyline was gone from the film, basically !!

Still enjoyed the series though until Allison left.........................

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks