What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
PEYTON PLACE has a cult following, and several of my best pals have been a part of that.

Fans have always had a tough time tracking this gem down.

It is one of the most thoroughly addictive shows ever...

and launched the careers of Mia Farrow, Ryan O' Neal, Barbara Parkins...while furthuring the careers of veterans Dorothy Malone, and Lee Grant...

in fact, Lee Grant won an Emmy for this.

I'd even take a "best of" at this point.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I know the fans of Peyton Place want this show on Dvd but the fan base is low and I fear Fox will not release it. In a few years TV on demand will be our only way to obtain the series. The episodes on Romance Classics are what everyone said. The show remastered would look great I am sure even the switch to color shows. The show was in syndication in 1976 and also on USA in the mid 80s.

When Romance Classics was launched in the late or mid 90s they boasted Peyton Place as the first show for their line up tv guide also reported this. So there are people out there which remember the series. The Peyton Place revisited I also saw on Abc wideworld of entertainment.

Then as we all know came the very poor Murder In Peyton Place and Then Peyton Place next Generation which was the best of the lot.

The show had great camera work and great lines for the actors. The last year of the show was not the best but they did bring back Hannah Cord and Bettys greed was great fun to watch.

Well who knows somone may get Fox to release it in a limited collectors only version with a preorder clause to only one distributer.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Well who knows somone may get Fox to release it in a limited collectors only version with a preorder clause to only one distributer.[/quote]
We can only hope- I for one have fallen in love with this show- It holds up well, the writing is excellent, and the acting is great- As I have said before, it really is television history, and represents GREAT classic television-
I agree though, that the fan base probably isn't there... It's been a long time since it's aired anywhere to my knowledge, and many have only vague memories of the show-
I've started a Yahoo group to get a gauge on the fan base, and there are only six of us after a month and a half- Little chat as well, as very few have episodes in their collection-
Anyone interested in joining here is the link:
[email protected]
Jack

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
One of my trading partners has the whole series taped off Fox Net so I'm not really worried about it being released. And since it's owned by Fox, chances are slim and none anyway.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, Peyton Place is out there in private hands for anyone who wants it thanks to those '90s syndication runs (although the black & white episodes were transferred from some pretty dire-looking 16mm elements that could use a radical remastering).

But the tragedy here is that the show is ripe for the "value added material" treatment. Over the last few years I've been compiling interviews with the surviving writers & directors, plus a few of the cast members, and they all remember it with astonishing clarity, and as one of the great experiences in their careers. (The only other TV series I've written about where I've encountered that level of passion from the people who worked on it is East Side/West Side.) Peyton Place was a "young" show, with more people in their 20s and 30s both in front of and behind the camera than was typical for that era, but the window of opportunity is closing. One of the key producers passed away just last month.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Stephen-

Which producer just passed away?

You are right... The window of opportunity is slipping away for some great "extras" interviews.

Jack

Hank Dearborn

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hank
While you are at, dreaming about soaps that Fox will never give you, why not put Long Hot Summer on the list as well, especially now that people seem to be getting into a Roy Thinnes mood with The Invaders release upcoming.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Personally I'd love Time/Life or MPI to get their hands on this show for DVD release. Fox has loaned out properties to other labels for DVD release (e.g.: Burke's Law, Honey West), so it can be done!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
There was also another series on ABC airing during Peyton Place reign The Survirors staring Lana Turner. Then in 1976 you had Family and Rich Man Poor Man book 2 airing the same night. The Peyton Place shows on Romance aired twice daily in a daytime and late nightime slot and all shows on the weekend repeated. The shows were all complete episodes with no editing. When viewing the shows you will see the small icon from romance clasics in the corner. I was also told the show aired later on the Soap station not soapnet. I should think if this is true the episodes would be edited.

I was lucky and stupid during the airing on Romance taping at slow speed. I also did some stupid editing in the last season taking only what I wanted from each show. I also found transferring on DVD to be problematic because the VHS recorder I used during taping was long gone. Audio and Color were problems. I rerecorded the entire series a secord time on DVD found some old Vhs recorders to transfer with and they came out better then the first transfer to DVD.

Peyton Place was so popular that Girl From Peyton Place or Betty in New York was being considered and even the soap As the World Turns sent the Lisa character to Chicago for her own show over the summer in primetime no less. I am sure none of this is news to fans.

I see this show being available when TV on Demand gets going. I liked Larry Hagman giving Peyton Place the nod when on some interview show delcared Dallas the first night time soap and he said no there was Peyton Place.

The show aired so long ago that only 50s plus people remember its first airing. I was shocked to hear someone not to long ago say at my joy site this is like Peyton Place the person was over 50. I think the show has aged well.

Return to Peyton place the daytime soap I only saw once or twice. I heard it resolved the ending to the nightime show I also heard the cast filmed on ending for the European version after the show closed down. I think NBC wanted next Generation to be a new show ratings must not have supported it. Sorry for being so long winded it was one of my favorite shows of all time like Dark Shadows Time Tunnel Battlestar Galactica and so on.

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Many important memories are disappearing with these people. Imagine the recollections shared from Mr. DeRoy and Paul Monash-

Christopher Connally, Ruth Warrick... I know there are many more-

Come on MPI- License this one like you did Dark Shadows, and give us this fine program!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Better yet, how about a 'complete series' release through Time/Life like Get Smart and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.?
P.S.: Like my new signature? I think it gets the message across!

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Amen Charles- A complete series release would certainly be a smart way to go- I picked up my "copies" complete, and have never regretted it!

Jack

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Now I know what the people of Boston felt like after ending the Red Sox curse!!! At long last I can see Rodney, Allison, Betty, Steven, Constance, and even that slimy rat Martin Peyton on DVD!!!
Here's the details:
Peyton Place DVD news: Announcement for Peyton Place - Part 1 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
Looks like I'll have to change my signature- please be sure to buy it when it's released to insure more volumes!!
For those of you who have yet to see their favorites come out on DVD- DON'T GIVE UP!! HALLELUJAH- "Peyton Place" on DVD at last!!
PS- The cover art is great (actually, it's from the unaired 1963 pilot which was scrapped) here's hoping for extras!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Charles,

Do you think the pilot will be in the first set ?? I always heard the pilot included the CROSS family. What do you know about the PILOT. I see that you state the photo is from the pilot.......... How do you know ?? Would love to know the story about the pilot. Heard the pilot was also one hour ?? Fact or fiction ??

Thanks,

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
OK, Alan- here's the story:
The Cross family was included, in fact, Selena was played by Gyl Roland, duaghter of Gilbert Roland and Constance Bennett. (Had she been retained, it would have made her the second "Hollywood Princess" in the cast, along with Mia). I have a cast photo from the pilot featuring all the characters in front of the town hall, including Catherine and the Crosses. The Cross family was deemed too controversial, so a new pilot was made removing them and changing Mike Rossi from a high school principal to a doctor. That was the idea of the legendary Irna Phillips, creator of Guiding Light and As The World Turns, who Fox hired as a story consultant. Another consultant was Sam Hall, a few years away from writing Dark Shadows.
I've seen a screen test of Allison and Selena featuring Mia (available on DVD), so perhaps the scrapped pilot still exist in the Fox vaults.
Obsolete Man, here's an overview of the show- once you get started, it's must-see TV!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peyton_Place_(TV_series)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
congrats on this coming out!!

I am a fan of prime time soaps (Dallas,Dynasty,Falcon Crest). Put me in the camp of never seeing an episode of Peyton Place. I guess you can call me curious if nothing else. How many episodes are you getting here with a 720 minute runtime? It seems season 1 is a whopping 114 episodes. I might have to get this just to see the show that started it all.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Aryn Leroux said:
congrats on this coming out!!
I am a fan of prime time soaps (Dallas,Dynasty,Falcon Crest). Put me in the camp of never seeing an episode of Peyton Place. I guess you can call me curious if nothing else. How many episodes are you getting here with a 720 minute runtime? It seems season 1 is a whopping 114 episodes. I might have to get this just to see the show that started it all.
Maybe 29 or 30 at best.
Of course, keep in mind that the runtime could change somewhat, weeks before release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks