What's new

Please FINISH Peyton Place on DVD! *Official Thread* (1 Viewer)

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Alan, I salute you! PP made the Entertainment Tonight website:
TV To DVD & Blue-Ray: May 26, 2009
and even made the pages of the satirical newspaper The Onion, doing quite well on its "Tolerability Index" referring to "The engrossing Peyton Place on DVD. With summer coming, now you can finally catch up on your stories".

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Peyton Place fans! I just wanted to comment on how much I enjoyed the Character themes for each of the actors on the show. I believe only Dark Shadows and Peyton Place had instrumental pieces for character background music. The standard was on organ for soaps. Dallas did for the characters first 3 seasons and such. Bobby and Pam etc even revived that theme after a long absense for the 1986/87 season. Peyton Place kept their character themes through out the show. Connie, Rod/Allison, Elliot, Rita/Norman, Betty, Martin Peyton, Steven, {which was Paul Hanleys at first} Julies which was used for Rachel Welles Dr Claire Mortan used later for Dr Harry Miles and family. So many others as well. They also did variations on many of the classic character themes Rod/Allison and my favorite Bettys Theme. I also loved Stellas Theme Adriennes Theme and Ann Howards for guest stars. Eddies Jacks and Lee Webbers also were favorites of mine. Back ground music for meetings etc came from the Fox Movies at least some like "An Affair to Remember" "Somethings Got To Give" "The Best of Everything" The title song "Marilyn" from the movie "Marilyn is used a great deal. Betty and Steven dance to it at an important moment in their lives. They also dance to a background theme which is used alot in the show. The Movie soundtracks from "Peyton Place" which the tiltles first few strings are Martin Peytons theme and then "Return to Peyton" which soundtrack is heard alot through out these first great episodes we are now viewing. The great part is both soundtracks can be bought anywhere online, Varese Sarabande has both in stock I checked at their web site. The cool thing Peyton Place movie soundtrack has as it's last song on the alblum the ending theme of Peyton Place the tv series. The theme when ending credits appear. Someone who reviewed the alblum complained about this last track and stated "we have Peyton Place the TV series theme added here" the person did not like it but I lovvvvvvvvvvvvved it! Keep spreading word about our show being out. I did today people look interested when I bring it up. I like Jacks idea buy them as gifts for next Christmas. I almost forgot that was one fantastic letter Charles wrote to "Shout"! THANKYOU CHARLES!!!!

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Here's more good news: check out page 29 of the current Entertainment Weekly with Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn on the cover. There's a full-page ad by Shout! Factory with their newest titles displayed, including PP!
Looks like they're finally beginning to promote the DVDs!

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
In response to Mark's post, the soundtrack from the film "PEYTON PLACE" by Franz Waxman remains to this day one of the Best Soundtrack's of a film ever recorded. I still LOVE the opening of that film, with the New England landscapes opening over the titles. And the great thing with "Return To Peyton Place" are Rosemary Clooney's vocals of the "THE WONDERFUL

SEASONS OF LOVE", that is worth the CD alone !!! Do yourself a favor and buy the CDS they are worth every penny !!!

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Charles Ellis said:
!
Looks like they're finally beginning to promote the DVDs!
anyone know if they also took out a page in the AARP's magazine? that would be a prime market for vintage TV

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Alan is right!!! The extras on Retrurn are worth it too. You get to hear different words sung for the Vocal of Waxman's most famous score. The TV Series in the credit's of later episodes surprised me when I read Star Trek's most famous composer. Maybe Charles has some history on how the character's themes got created and composed by whom? Allison alone had the Peyton Place theme as you all have already heard. I have always wanted to know who composed all those themes. Betty's theme is so good. Listen in later episodes how the theme changes for her mood. Betty searching in a dusty basement can't beat it. Betty and Steve talking about lovely Adrienne while Adrienne's music serves as a background for Betty's theme postively beautiful. I also like the fight music used in the show. Rod and Lee in Rods Garage what a fight!!

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Well...due to the unbridled enthusiasm displayed by my fellow HTF'ers on this particular thread...I have decided to go ahead and bring on Peyton Place as my latest foray into my DVD TV collection!!!!!!!
Part One arrived this afternoon in my mailbox just six days after ordering it up NEW for a very sweet song!!!!!!
With my birthday coming up ten days from now...I am really looking forward to sneaking a peak at the very first episode to see what plot lines drover TV viewers mad during the fall of 1964!!!!!!!!!!
Since this IS a birthday buy for me...I will have to wait until that time to check it out. But once I do...I have a feeling I shall, inded, feel satisfied!!!!!! :D
And here is to also hoping that the releases go on long enough to last into not only the color era...but also to where the black family moves into the neighborhood in 1968 as well. Percy Rodrigues, Ruby Dee and a young Glynn Turman made up the family.
And even they managed to get in on some of the action in Peyton Place themselves!!!!!!! :D
Happy viewing!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Tina_H_V said:
a birthday buy for me...I will have to wait until that time to check it out. But once I do...I have a feeling I shall, inded, feel satisfied!!!!!! :D
And here is to also hoping that the releases go on long enough to last into not only the color era...but also to where the black family moves into the neighborhood in 1968 as well. Percy Rodrigues, Ruby Dee and a young Glynn Turman made up the family.
And even they managed to get in on some of the action in Peyton Place themselves!!!!!!! :D
Happy viewing!!!!!!!!!!!! :D
Congratulations on the upcoming birthday first of all!
Secondly, can't wait to hear another review of PP since it's one of many many MANY titles on my short-list to buy. The only "concerns" I have is I don't have any soaps in my collection yet and I'm hoping it's not too far over the top. That being said, the only shows I have experience with to compare it to are modern soaps like All My Children and One Life to Life and prime time soaps like the Dark Shadows remake and Dallas. I'm of an open mind and have my fingers crossed.
As the tag line says, the thing that drives me crazy about collecting TV shows on DVD is there are SO many titles and so little money and honestly, not enough time to watch them all!

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Charles Ellis, that is a wonderful letter you sent to ShoutFactory.

I can't do any better than that, but I will also write them with my enthusiasm.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
By all means do so!!! BTW, I recently wrote to PP director Ted Post and sent him 2 photos to sign. Today, not only did I get them back inscribed to me, but he sent me a beautiful letter and a magazine article on his life and career (yes, it mentioned the show!).

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I was holding out for the annual DD summer sale to order PP. I realized I had a gift card from BB. I went into BB today and used my gift card and got it.........

It carries a nice price from BB. $37 and change with tax.............

I was hoping to hold out for that sale. I am not sure if it is happening in the near future. I had the gift card so what the h............

I am looking forward to seeing the first 31 episodes again. I was in sixth grade when I saw them the last time. I had a tv in my room and would turn it on so my parents did not know I was watching it after I said I was going to sleep. In elementary school it was lights out at 9:30. So, I would say I was going up to bed early................. I was always afraid they would catch me watching it....

Anyway, Charles you stated that you heard from TED did he have anything to do with the pilot ?? I wonder what his recollection would be about it and the series. It would be great to have him do a narration on a future set. I love Terry Moores and Russ Tamblyn's narration of the film. And Sylvia Stoddard's on RTPP. Which by the way had a fire in the previews that was not in the completed film. Roberta Carter had attempted to burn down the house with Ted's wife in it.......... That would have made a much more exciting film than the original cut. As a matter of fact it is still in the previews of the film. One other coincidence, did anyone realize that Dorothy Malone (Constance in the series) and Carol Lynley in (Allison in RTPP) were mother and daughter in the film "The Last Sunset" with Rock Hudson and Kirk Douglas ?? A great little western if you have not had the opportunity to see it............... That is my story for today. I shall return after viewing a few episodes. Anyone have a clue how to capture screen shots from the series ?

I would love to use some for wallpaper.............

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Happy Birthday Tina! I just finished my set this weekend. I will not give plot points away but I can see why Shout ended the set with 31 episodes. I know film quality has been an issue. I must say more good quality episodes then bad. Snow flakes looked like snowflakes. The detail was very good.

Alan why on earth did you wait? Did you know at Best Buy if you buy the week a video is released it is on sale for 7 days. The store will tell you this. The other thing check their web site. The price is always cheaper then the store price. BB will honor their web site price. The price is usally 3.00 bucks cheaper. I found this out when I bought another tv series. We also are very lucky that BB decided to carry Peyton Place. I was shocked to put it mildly and very very happy.

I sat waiting for the big river to deliver my set and going crazy. So just by chance I checked BB web site and there it was in store. BB is about 15 minutes from my house. I burned rubber and was back home in 45 minutes. I must also state "Borders" has also decided to carry the show. So "Good Buddie" sorry I am not trying to lecture but everyone can stand to save a few bucks with gas as it is today.

Mark here should follow his own advise because I have a bunch of coupons and am to lazy to print them out. You at least did. Shame on me!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Alan for gosh sakes I assumed you had a copy. I was thinking last night I could of given you my extra copy from Amazon. I am serious about it. It cost me 6 bucks from delivery and returning it to Amazon. You could maybe paid me the 6 for postage and it would of been yours.

I know it sounds easy to say because I sent it back last week. You have been such a vital contributer to this thread I would gladly have given it to you. Sorry about that Pal. Jack are you out of school for the summer? I wondered if you were going to DS Festival. I will not be but with the new movie coming it really is a great time for us Shadows Fans. Charles I wonder if you are going or any of the other Peyton Place fans that are here. The Fans who love both shows.

I thought again of the comparisons between the two shows. I never thought before of both starting with a train coming into town with a stranger on board. The music also with themes for characters and general mood of both the shows. Sceans from location shots cut into the shows when needed. The Ocean clips from Widows Hill and Saliors Bluff. The body at the bottom of each cliff found by the main charater on each show. The wife of each of the important families on both shows die in year one on each show. Each show had a car accident in the early episodes. The Convict comes to town to clear his name. Well enough from me back to my Dan Brown novel.

I

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Great interview from Dorothy Malone last month about PP,
Dorothy Malone recalls her days in 'Peyton Place' - Los Angeles Times
Mark,
Thanks for the advice about BB. However, I am not going to pursue the credit.
Let BB, have it, so they will continue to carry PP.
I am in the middle of watching this again for the first time, since originally being aired.
Many complaining about the darkness in several episodes are correct in their criticism. Some episodes are great however. The quality varies greatly in each episode sometimes.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Alan, you're a genius! Thanks for the article. I had heard that Dorothy had been in declining health, but the article seems to prove the opposite. I recently wrote to her and sent photos for signing, and I'll let you all know if I get a reply. Now if we could only hear from Barbara Parkins and Patricia Morrow........

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
AMEN CHARLES!!! Alan this MidWestern guy owes you!! I will buy you the last PP Set if we get thru the entire series. Notice I said if though and with the qualification we get all 514 eps. Keep up the good work!!! Charles and Jack I still did not hear if you guys will get to the DS festivial. I have never been mainly logistics. I fly once a year and that is at Christmas to my relatives in San Deigo. I was thinking last night instead of sleeping. I thought if I won the Lottery as we all say from time to time. I would buy a bunch of PP and try to get to the DS Festival and pass them out free to the fans there. Since I am poor and never that lucky it will never happen. In fact I have decided to show some restraint and not buy only Peyton Place and the last set of Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea that myself and the other fans are getting very impaitent about. Have a great weekend guys!!

Mark C H

Jack Cleveland

Second Unit
Mark-

I'vde never been to the DS Festival, and will not be going this year- It would be fun to go one year... I am thinking about going to the Lucy Festival in Jamestown this summer- Hoping to be able to work that one out-

3 more school days and it's OVER for the summer!!

Jack

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Thank you, Mark and Matt, for the salutation. That is very sweet of you gentlemen.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Yes, my copy has been gift-wrapped for a few days now and shall be unwrapped during my birthday party Sunday. I originally intended on watching a single episode to mark the occassion, but it looks as if I may well get a chance to view more episdoes as the skies up above are filled with clouds and there is a true chance of rain this weekend. Usually, I ice B&W programs during this time of the year (Spring/Summer) due to the abundance of sunshine in my town which alters, for me, the mood of watching such productions. Yet if these clouds continue to persist, as they have for sometime now, I may just take more than a good, hard look at Peyton Place after all this weekend.

As soon as my party is over--or maybe during it--I shall post my take on this classic soap opera myself.

whisperintherain

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Romain
Tina, be warned: you probably won't even be strong enough to limit yourself to watching just one episode if you attempt to. I got my set on Thursday, and as I dislike having several shows going at the same time, I decided to just pop it in to watch the very first episode of this show I had never seen before. I'm 27 and had been intrigued by the show for a few years since I'm a fan of both KNOTS LANDING and MELROSE PLACE and this seemed to be a precursor to both, moreso than DALLAS and DYNASTY which I never warmed up to. Anyway, instead of just watching the first episode, I ended up seeing up to episode 4 in just one sitting (it was getting late, otherwise I would have watched episodes 5 and 6 as well).
That being said, I hope you have a nice birthday celebration and enjoy the show, this is for sure one purchase I am glad I made. I can't wait to get my hands on Part Two and hope that more sets will be coming after that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks