please explain?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Julio, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Julio

Julio Agent

I have a sony receiver model STR-DE1075 and my speakers are sony also the front speakers SENSITIVITY is 89db and it's center channel sensitivity is also 89db and the surround speakers SENSITIVITY is 87db with 1watt 1 meter?

can you please explain to me what it is?

thank you

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Sensitivity is just a rating of how much wattage it takes in input to get a certain amount of output. Some speakers require more power than others to achieve the same amount of output, and sensitivity is a quantitive rating of this speaker specification to allow you to compare.
    The higher the db rating, the less power it needs (the number reflects how much output you get with one watt of power, one meter away).
    The issue of Sensitivity and wattage to SPL is covered in the FAQ AND PRIMER section on this forum. I believe so far you have posed a handful of questions that are addressed in this document, so it might be in your best interest to check it out! See the link in my signature.
    -Vince

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

Julio,
    If you mike the speaker from one meter away on axis and input one watt of power, the resulting SPL is the sensitivity.
    Once the sensitivity is established you have an idea how much power you need to drive the speakers. Every time you double the wattage, you gain 3 db in spl. For instance, if your Sony's are rated at 89db, and you input 2 watts of power, you are outputting 92 db. If you increase the wattage to 4 watts, you've raised the spl to 95, and so on.

4. Julio

Julio Agent

thanks alot guys

5. Julio

Julio Agent

man! I have a very small room I'm sitting 9 feet away from my tv

I remember that back in 96' or 97' SATTELITE GUIDE when directv came published a article that I would never forget you measure the distance from your tv to were you are going to sit at measure it by inches and divide it by 2.5 and it will give you the right size tv you need for that area