What's new

Please excuse my excessive tardiness, but I am now a Norah Jones fan. (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Norah is the musical guest on Saturday Night Live tomorrow night (Robert De Niro is the guest host).

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
She was on Jay Leno last week and sounded great. I will have to watch SNL, for sure.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Marty, I missed her on Jay Leno. Did she do songs off Come Away With Me or some new material?

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Is she on SNL this week?

I've got tickets to see her in Atlanta on 12/16, so I'm really looking forward to that show!

Dan B

Screenwriter
Apparently quite a few people are discovering Norah lately. Check out this article at Rolling Stone.com here:
This past week, nearly a year after its release, the album moved 108,000 copies, according to SoundScan, to reach Number One.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Dan, thanks for the tidbit. That's good to see. Imagine if 108,000 copies of the SACD were to sell in one week. Now that would be something! Where's Lee? :D

Allen Hirsch

Supporting Actor
I'm also very late to this thread and Norah. But, thanks to this thread I finally sampled her stuff right around the holidays, and it's now my #1 playlist on the computer jukebox AND in my car CD changer.

Love how simple most of the instrumental accompaniment is on Come Away with Me - and the arrangement of Cold Cold Heart is to die for.

She can sing all night long, and I won't tire of it.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Joe,
I have not heard a release date for Come Away With Me on SACD. Hope it's soon. :)
Allen,
There must be something about folks named Hirsch getting on the Norah Jones bandwagon late. Now you know what the 'H' in KeithH stands for. ;)

Matt Rowe

Auditioning
Folks, the Norah Jones SACD was scheduled to street on February 11th, however, the limited run (5000 units) is on hold. There are other EMI SACDs that are also on hold. I'm keeping a very very close eye on those discs so watch www.musictap.net for those release dates as I become aware of them.
Matt Rowe
MusicTAP

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Greg, Diana Krall is great. Check out Love Scenes, When I Look In Your Eyes, and Live in Paris. They are all winners.
Both Love Scenes, and When I Look In Your Eyes are available on SACD. The former is hybrid, the latter isn't. Both are multi & two channel.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, I have heard nothing in awhile about the Norah Jones SACD. The Universal web site does not show it as an upcoming release. This does not necessarily concern me, as they show the Police and Peter Gabriel titles, which are slated for release in early March.

Is the Norah Jones SACD really going to be limited to just 5,000 copies? Is that common practice for Universal with SACDs?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Is Blue Note part of Universal? I can't keep up with this stuff!

I'm going by another (private) website that I don't presently have the link to (Brian Moura's?). It also indicates that Blue Note artist Cassandra Wilson's "New Moon Daughter" is coming out on 4/22. I'm more excited about this latter title than the Norah Jones. I mean, I dig Norah a lot, but she can't hold a candle to Cassandra (yet, anyway).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Rich, as I recall, Blue Note is under the Universal umbrella, which is one mighty umbrella! I don't have Brian Moura's web site bookmarked, but his information is usually up to date.
From what I have been reading, I really need to get a couple Cassandra Wilson CDs. :)

Mark All

Second Unit
If anyone's tired of waiting for the SACD version, the LP has been available for a while in a 200-gram pressing. I picked up a copy at Tower. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. As good as jazz from the 50s and 60s? No, but she looks good on the LP cover.

Greg Thomas

Second Unit
I also recently picked up the Norah Jones CD. I like her music and I think her voice sounds like a cross between Rickie Lee Jones and Phoebe Snow. I don't hear the Billie Holiday references that I read about online or in the paper. It's really hard to define her music. I'd call it a combo blues, folk, country, jazz thing.

The only Diana Krall music I have is the Live in Paris DVD. It's awesome! I copied the songs to mini disc and listen to it in the car.

ToddR

Agent
If you haven't alredy done so, check out www.norahjones.com
Click on Music, and there are several on-line songs from various live performances. Check out her versions of Tennessee Waltz and Crazy - simply amazing. She is making old school country music cool.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
From what I have been reading, I really need to get a couple Cassandra Wilson CDs
Yes. Yes you do. :)
I finally picked up the Norah Jones CD the other day and plan on giving it a spin today.
NP: Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Song Book, disc 1

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks