What's new

PLEASE don't tell me Disney's JOURNEY OF NATTY GANN is also coming out P&S only...! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I've wanted this in OAR since I owned the P&S laser disc...from all sites I've accessed that list this title (coming out next Tuesday), it appears as though it is not widescreen. Any definite info?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Okay, I won't tell you that. It won't change anything, though.
:frowning:
My wife wanted this one badly, too. Not now, though.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Panning-and-scanning any film is wrong, but it's especially ridiculous on 2.35:1 films. It's a shame that Disney didn't release more of its DVDs earlier. Last year and early this year, it was great at doing good DVDs - look at January's live action releases. Now, Disney is probably the worst DVD studio in the game.
Next week, Cheetah and Journey of Natty Gann get P&S treatment. The next week, some Touchstone releases (including 2.35:1 titles) get the same lovely treatment.
So utterly off-base to think that they'll sell more copies by releasing these movies in P&S only. And the space issue is a total crock...the entire Angels in the Outfield DVD took up 3.5 GB...a dual-layered disc could easily store both viewing formats, considering the lack of supplements.
:rolleyes::thumbsdown: :angry:
Be sure to call and complain next Tuesday and tell them they lost a sale.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
And because so few people have even heard of the title outside of enthusiasts, Disney will claim the poor sales figures mean that there is just no demand for those 'cult' titles. When it could have sold well if they'd just released it properly. I'll be sick if Wal-Mart gets these title but never gets the Vault disney (they still don't have them here, even today, or any other recent disney releases outside of Winnie the Pooh). I myself had been interested in Cheetah, a film I have fond memories of, and probably might have gotten Natty Gann b/c I hear the score is excellent at least. Unfortunately I'll just have to watch my vault disney, treasures, snow white or collectors series instead if I want to watch a disney dvd.

NO OAR NO SALE!!!!!

Adam

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Get on the phone and tell Disney how much this upsets you.

Be specific about the titles you're upset about and talk about how "your family" will be disappointed because "your family" enjoys widescreen.

Remember, all these titles were already in production when we started our phone-email-campaign. Keep those calls rolling in. There's always the chance that with enough emails Disney will relent and delay some of these titles or re-release them in 16x9.

And remember, our calls are helping with future releases too.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Now this is dangerous. Thus far, the big studios have been quite good about not cropping 2.35:1 films. Suffering open matte transfers is bad enough, but this is a serious offense.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
You know the other day I was trying to remember the name of this movie and I couldnt. I was saying how i havent seen it in a long time. I would buy it if it was OAR. But not pan/scam

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I take exception to this review. For the second time recently, it has been said J.O.N.G. was a 2.35:1 film. I disagree. I believe it was 1.85:1.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Well, I don't know for sure, but the IMDB (which certainly *has* been wrong before) lists it as 2.35:1. Also, it states that the cinematographic process is Panavision (anamorphic). I didn't think they used an anamorphic lens on 1.85 movies.
Link Removed

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
Really enjoying this movie, i ordered disspite it not being OAR..(please, i know...)acrtually i did not know that at the time i placed the order

Anyway...the entire transfere could have been a lot better..real-change "globs" intrude periodically, there is quite a bit of grain that interferes with the wonderful scenery and body parts are missing because of the p&s...

Disney has done some wonderful stuff lately...i just wish they would exhibit the same amount pride in all of there product.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
Sounds like a cute little movie. I can't recall if I have seen it or not. But, coming out in pan and scam, I won't be buying this either. It appears that Disney is becoming the "slug" of the industry.:thumbsdown:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Something you can always do is return the DVD directly to Disney for a refund.
If you've ever noticed on the back of your Disney DVDs is a "satisfaction garantee" thing with a mailing address. Not satisfied with a DVD? Don't return it to your e-retailer...return it directly to Disney and tell them the reason is that it's P/S and you didn't know it when you purchased it. Tell them the video transfer is poor quality and to please let you know if they choose to re-release the title with a new 16x9 transfer.
Want to make a difference at the Mouse? That's a great way.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
I emailed them and told them that they lied when the back of the DVD said that it was formatted to fit my TV. Not a widescreen! I suggested they they fire the person that authorized that.

Glenn

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Hi guys. I don't know if anyone's still paying any attention to this thread, but my review of this movie/DVD has just been published. A little intriguing background:
I LOVE this movie.
I HATE P & S.
Have a look at my review if you like!
Link Removed
Here's a tiny teaser:
Blah, blah, blah! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks