Please don't get ticked off...DVD player ?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John*DB, Sep 2, 2004.

1. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

I know this is the kind of question that boils the blood of the vetrans on here and makes them roll their eyes but...

What is the best DVD player??

NOW, having said that, let me tell you what I have.

4805 infocus projector

Yamaha HTR-5760 receiver

JBL E20s (x4)

JBL EC35

(no subwoofer yet)

So...I have a 5.1 system, middle to low end projector and awesome receiver.

I do not care to have a multi-dvd carriage and my projector is not a high end Digital projecor. Music listening will be at a minimum. Main focus will be on movie.

So, reliablily, quality, least "buggy" player ---

what should I get?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Hard question to answer. There probably isn't any single player that can be definitely described as the "best."

There are plenty of players that will do you fine. Select the one with the feature set that best meets your needs.

3. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The best player is a unicorn, you'll never find it... the best player for you however is very obtainable. That said, your budget would be a big decider. Given the projector you have and your priorities being movies I would say something like the Denon 1910 would be perfect for you. It has DVI output so you can send a pure digital signal scaled to your projectors native resolution (480p in this case) all the way from the player to the projector w/ no D/A and A/D conversions that can hurt PQ. It also has a solid chroma-bug-free MPEQ decoder and excellent faroudja deinterlacing. It can be had for around $250 from local authorized dealers and should be available in the next week or so if it isn't already. If this is above or well below what you've budgeted let us know and i'm sure there will be many very good recomendations for whatever your actual budget is.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

How much do you want to spend?

5. John*DB

John*DB Stunt Coordinator

well, I am not a real "techy" guy so a lot of what s. Hopkins said went right over my head...sorry. I wouldn't want to spend over $250 for a player...I would like to spend no more than 190 - 200 if I could get away with it.

Are there brands I should stay away from or models that have proven to have problems?

6. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Denon 1910, Zenith DVB318.