Please consider combining audio sources and video sources

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Weinstock, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

I do truly sympathize with Ron and Parker trying to sort through the gazillion conflicting opinions regarding the forum subdivisions, but that will not stop me from offering my own.

The audio and video sources sections should be combined, for three reasons:

1) insufficient traffic in audio sources

2) combined traffic would be very manageable

3) (the biggie) the single most important source component, the DVD player, spans both categories, especially nowadays, where an increasing percentage of DVD players also do DVD-A.

Either of the first two reasons is almost enough on its own to justify the merge, but when you add the third it seems mandatory. I cannot imagine a any disadvantage of combining the two, given their modest combined traffic.

Please consider!

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Give it a few days- we're currently observing traffic levels and patterns.

-Vince

3. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

I'm actually of the opposite opinion. The traffic may be down in the audio area but I relate it to the home theater software area versus the music area. Its nice to have a dedicated music and audio section in my opinon.

Patrick

4. Neil Weinstock

Neil Weinstock Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but don't DVD players really preclude that separation? Players that handle DVD-A (which, lately, are most of them) simply cannot be discussed as simply audio or video components. They are both, like it or not.

So if I'm considering purchasing an RP-91, which forum do I discuss it in? Or do I have to have parallel discussions in both? Yuk.

If DVD players weren't the most important source component in home theater, then this wouldn't be an issue, but they are, so it is.

This split seems to me equally impractical as (hypothetically) separating the speaker forum into "home theater speakers" and "music speakers".

And yes, I will patiently await the ongoing forum tweaking; just having a conversation here.

5. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Neil: If you actually do have a question on the RP-91, I'd post it in both for maximum exposure. Posting it in only the music source area may not get you many quick answers or if they do they may only consider the RP-91 for it's DVD-A and not for it's wonderful progressive DVD playback. I guess that with the current setup, all questions on whether to get a SACD or DVD-A/V player should also go into both subforums too.? God help us if Toshiba should come out with another SD-6109c type unit which does SACD as well. Questions on that unit would have to be posted in at least 3-5 current subforums to expose it to all potential answerers. Boy is this confusing, but fun!

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

8. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

Instead of asking for opinions or watching your server logs, why don't you try to run a quasi-usability test? Create one or two tasks that you want people to accomplish. Have them write down everything that goes through their head as they try to accomplish the task - why they are going where they are going and what they expect to see when they get there. Have everyone e-mail these PRIVATELY to Packy to prevent debates and any kind of potential social influence and Packy can sort through it in his spare time. [​IMG] That way you get some more insight into user behavior here on HTF then the a server log tool analysis can provide.

9. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

10. CapnSharpe

CapnSharpe Stunt Coordinator

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Theresa,

Sorry- there should have been a smiley at the end of my post, it was all in fun-- not meant to offend. My comments were just a joke referring to the fact with 20,000 members, you're going to get 20,000 different opinions- and it's tough to make any moves forward.

-V