What's new

Please compare the PS2 Vs. Xbox for DVD playback.... (1 Viewer)

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
I would appreciate someone giving me their opinion on these two game systems and their dvd playback. I'm considering trading my Xbox for a PS2 and I want to know how much difference i'll see when using the PS2 for movies.

I'm planning on buying an HDTV later this year and i'll buy a progressive scan DVD player at that time. As for the Xbox, I just feel it's software lineup is still hurting and i'll probably buy a new one late this year when Halo 2 comes out. It will probably be down to $150 by then. The PS2 just has more great games available right now. Thanks.

Dan.b

Demetri K

Stunt Coordinator
Well I think personally(even though I am a ps2 fan). The xbox dvd player is better as far as picture quality. But I do not use my systems to watch dvd that often. BUt Also it is not a bad player as well. It should keep you till you get the progressive. The games are stellar on both systems. Just make sure it is the system that is right for you based on games. I like xbox(But I am still a ps2 boy at heart) Anyways I hope that helped. Oh also!!!!! Some dvds the ps2 has trouble reading. But that is few and far between in my opinion.

Brian Ruth

Supporting Actor
Dan: I've heard that the XBox is better than the PS2 for DVDs, but just about any progressive scan DVD player (except perhaps those bargain bin ones) should give you a higher-quality picture than what you get on a gaming console.

I'd pick one based on the games, then buy a separate DVD player to go along with it.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks guys. I have been thinking about it for a while. IMO the Xbox library of games is just a little weak when compared to the PS2. The Xbox has some amazing games but they are few and far between. The PS2 on the other hand seems to have a long list of great ones and right now they're more offordable then ever. Like I said though, i'll be picking up an Xbox again when Halo 2 is released in about 8 months. :)

Dan.b

StevenK

Second Unit
They BOTH suck big cajones for DVD playback. I'd just go with whichever system you like better for gaming and just live with crappy DVD playback until you get a better DVD player.

I have the Xbox and I agree the list of games are pretty weak, but there are some gems out there (aside from Halo) people don't often talk about that makes the XBox a must-have for me: Hunter:The Awakening, Splinter Cell, Sega GT, Morrowind, Mech Assault, MotoGP.....

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I'm planning on buying an HDTV later this year and i'll buy a progressive scan DVD player at that time. As for the Xbox, I just feel it's software lineup is still hurting and i'll probably buy a new one late this year when Halo 2 comes out. It will probably be down to $150 by then. The PS2 just has more great games available right now. Thanks.
Sounds like you answered your own question. Get the PS2 for the games you like. The DVD playback will be sufficient until you get the prog player. What's more, PS2 doesn't require the purchase of any additional hardware to play back DVDs.

StevenK

Second Unit
I say you go with the PS2 also, but just FYI, most places have the XBox DVD kit F.A.R.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Except for the chroma bug, the XBox is definitely a very, very good interlaced DVD player for pure picture quality.

Kicks the PS2 in the ass.

I own both. But of course I use neither for a DVD player on a regular basis...gotta have quality progressive scan.

JamesH

Supporting Actor
The picture on the Xbox is a lot crisper. I've also seen people post on some boards about hacking the Xbox so that it will output progressive scan for DVDs, but you need a mod chip.

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Thanks for the input guys. I'm not exactly sure what a "Chroma bug" is. I just traded in my Xbox yesterday for the PS2 though. :) I haven't got a chance to see any movies on my TV as i'm at my girlfriend's house today. I'm just going to have to live with it for about 6 months. I guess it will just have to make do. :)

Dan.b

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
On a related note. Does anyone know exactly what changes have been made to the late model PS2 like I just bought? I know they've made revisions just as they did over the years with the original PSX but I don't know exactly what they are. I can tell you already that the DVD drivers are now part of the systems memory because I didn't need to install them with the DVD that is given with the remote. On the original system you had to install those drivers onto a memory card for the DVD remote to work. Now it's working just fine without doing that. :)

Dan.b

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
After a full testing last night i've got a couple of interesting observations to make about the PS2 as a DVD player.

First off, it's got some geometry issues or something like it going on. Nothing major but I checked the setting with a THX optomizer and it showed some bending in a couple areas on the screen. Mainly the top left hand quadrant. So, it's not perfect buto verall I felt the image quality was nearly the same as the Xbox.

Dan.b

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The Xbox is a great interlaced DVD player. I've compared it to a basic Toshiba, and I don't see a noticable difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks