1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please comment on my proposed system

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Cu Teo, Aug 6, 2002.

1. Cu Teo

Cu Teo Auditioning

Greetings,

I have been researching to purchase a HT system for quite a while. I kept waiting and waiting for the price to drop as new technology emerges. That would never end and so I decided to make the jump now.

This is what I came down to:

Denon AVR-3802 $999 (6AVE)
    Parasound HCA-2205AT $1999 list
    Paradigm Reference Studio/40 $900 list
    Paradigm Reference Studio/CC $500 list
    Paradigm Reference Studio/ADP $900 list
    Paradigm Servo-15 $1500 list
    Paradigm Premier J50 Stands $200x2 list
    Denon DVD-3800 DVD Player $999 (6AVE)
    Denon DRW-585 Cassette player $249 list
    Sony Commander SDV3000 $150 list
    Panasonic HDTV PT47WX49S $1500 (Costco)
    Acoustic Research Cables $300 (Recoton Warehouse)
    A/V Rack $500

TOTAL = $10,896 + Tax + Shipping

That falls within my comfort range. I would like to hear your comments on the weaknesses/flaws of this system that you can see before I spend all my 401K money!

Oh, and one more thing. I called two local Paradigm dealers and no one budged from the speakers' listed price. I thought the norm is 20% off list? One dealer told me that a Paradigm rep visited him last week and reiterated their list price.

Thanks and cheers!

Cu Teo

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

You should be able to get 10-20%. They may know that they are the only ones in the area and a discount is not needed to do business. You may want to go in and talk with the dealers. They tend not to discount over the phone. While your in the store if they are still not willing to budge, drop the hint that you are making a business trip to Canada and can get excellent deals on the same speakers(duty/tax free, same price in Canada as US but in Can $$, exchange rate $1US=$1.50CDN, etc).

Kevin

3. Michael Mathius

Michael Mathius Screenwriter

Welcome Cu:

That's a hell of a system you are putting together. You should call 6thAve instead of buying online to get the Denon 3802 for $699.

You should also look at the Phillip Pronto remote for $205 from ecost.com instead of the Sony remote. I have the sony for my bedroom setup but use the pronto for my main system.

Michael

4. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

You forgot the turntable [​IMG].
    -Mike...

5. David Guill

David Guill Extra

Ouch, I would bypass the Paradigm speakers with a Denon receiver. The upper frequencies will be somewhat brittle. Denon "detailed" highs may be too much high end for a pure aluminum tweeter. If you like the Denon receiver then look for a speaker system with silk dome tweeters or textile dome tweeters, like Atlantic Technology. You will get less listening fatique and won't leave your room with a headache after a movie.
    If you like the Paradigm speakers then go with a warmer receiver that rolls off the upper frequencies, like Marantz or Onkyo. Stay away from Yamaha and Sony. B&K would be good.
    I agree with getting a Pronto remote.
    For a DVD player go with either Toshiba or Sony but don't spend that kind of money for a Denon. Why a cassette player? Throw the tapes out and buy the CDs. If you are still buying cassette tapes, STOP.
    Well, thats just my quick observation and opinion [​IMG]
    You asked for it. [​IMG]

6. mike_decock

mike_decock Supporting Actor

7. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

8. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Doug said:

9. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

I would do many things differently:

1. Amplification: why the amp + denon? Either go receiver alone ($699) or pre/pro
    2. Stands: You can find much cheaper stands that will be very rigid and can be filled with sand, etc... and will look nice and get the job done.
    3. DVD player: You can get a much cheaper DVD player. Toshiba, JVC, or Panasonic have very nice PQ for a lot lower price
    4. Subwoofer: Get an SVS or HSU. Great performance for half the price.
    5. Rack: Build your own rack to save more money
    6. Display: Put all that money saved into a better display!!!!!! You can get yourself a very nice front projection rig and have yourself a 100+ inch display.... or get an RPTV over 55 inches.

10. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

You have listened to the speakers...played with the other components, no?

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

I THINK THAT THE SYSTEM WILL WORK GREAT... I have one thought though; while the parasound is a good amp, I find that the biggest advantage of going from a FLAGSHIP rcvr (I know the 3802 isn't ) to seperates is in either in getting a better "sound" from the pre-amp section or getting the larger current pull from multiple 2/3/mono amps....for the money your combo of the 3802 and single power supply, multi-channel amp may not deliver as much benifit as could bee found elsewhere....

12. Cu Teo

Cu Teo Auditioning

Thanks everyone for your informative comments.

The reason I was looking at the Denon AVR-3802 was that it costs only $699 so I would just use it as a pre/pro since a Parasound would also be used as a separate amp.

If a separate pre/pro would be better, what are my options here? May I may some suggestions. Price range below $2000.

Thanks!

13. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

New pre/pros right now? Only Rotel 1066 for $1500 list. Outlaw 950 will hopefully be shipping by the end of the year for $899.

You may be able to find a nice used Lexicon MC1 for about $2k.

Bump up your pre/pro budget to mid-high $2k (street) and you get a couple more choices. Anthem and Integra come to mind.

Bob

14. Cu Teo

Cu Teo Auditioning

Being a newbie, please be gentle and correct me if I am wrong. The main difference between a PRE/PRO and an A/VR is the built-in amplication in the A/VR. If both receivers use top-notch materials, sound quality isn't an issue. If this is true, then why can't I use the Denon AVR-3802 to act as a PRE/PRO since it only costs $699 these days?

Anyway, thanks Bob. I have been looking that Anthem AVM20 (listed $2800) and very impressed. But that's a big jump from $699

Cheers!

Cu Teo

15. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

True, the jump is fairly steep to a dedicated pre/pro.

Basically, you are correct. However, as noted earlier (I think!), you don't get a really good "front end" or processing circuitry when you're at the 3802's mid range equipment. It has been argued in the past that by taking out the amps in a receiver, that there is potential for cleaner/better sound through better layout, engineering and the like.

In order to get the better pre/pro quality/advantages, you need to step up to the flagship receivers costing about the same $$$ as a good pre/pro itself.

Note I'm not knocking the 3802 at all. I think it's the best value in it's class. I almost bought one when I was looking at an "all in one" solution. I've recommended it to many friends who ended up buying them. They've all been happy with it's performance. However, if you're going to dive into the land of separates with that nice Parasound amp, why sacrafice it's advantages by using a receiver as a pre/pro? Just something to think about.

Hope this helps.

Bob