1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please check out my theater..

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Randy Laporte, Jun 21, 2003.

1. Randy Laporte

I'm new to this board, and I just built a new home theater in my basement, and would like your comments on it.
    Thanks
    I have a Mits. 65 inch HDTV widescreen,
    Polk audio and Yamaha speakers
    Onyko 6.1 Dolby/DTS receiver with room wired for 7.1 if I should decide to go there. And I have around 530 DVD's to watch.
    bigger pics

2. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Very attractive room!
    How about bigger pics of your photos to click on.
    I want to see some close ups!

3. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Hmmmm. I've seen that wall color before.....I wonder where?[​IMG]

Looks good! How about adding an equipment list to your site?

4. Kal

Kal Agent

Very nice, but if you're looking for some comments here goes ... though most of these are of the "it's too late!" variety!

- L, C, R speakers should have the tweeters roughly the same height to avoid a "lobbing" or "jumping" affect when you pan L ->R. So move the center speaker below the screen (2-3' off the ground) so that the tweeters at more or less the same height as the one in the L/R speakers. This is probably the thing I'd change first out of everything.

- Center the screen between the speakers. It's unbalanced right now (R speaker is farther from the screen then the left) and pans will probably sound unbalanced. I see a LOT of people set up their equipment this way from left to right: L speaker, Tv, equipment, R speaker. I don't understand why exactly as it produces an unbalanced sound field. The only thing that's important is that the L and R speakers be equal distances from the screen. Where you place the equipment is unimportant. In fact, it's best to place it out of view as you don't want to see a bunch of blinking lights when you watch a movie.

- Use dark ceiling tiles to avoid light reflection back onto the screen.

- I would have put the TV at floor level as it already has a built in stand that brings it the right height off the floor.

In the end, do whatever makes you happy!

Kal

5. Tommy_C

Tommy_C Stunt Coordinator

Looks nice, I agree would like to be able to enlarge the pictures to see better.

Kal points are valid and would make a world of difference in sound.

Keep up the good work!

TC

6. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Welcome to the forum Randy. Nice HT room.

7. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Very nice. I like the flush mount RPTV. I didn't see a equipment list. What are you using as equipment?

8. Randy Laporte

Thanks all for the reply's..

Kal, thank you for the comments, I'm new at this and of course I didn't think to ask any pro's for advice.As usual, I'm a day late and a dollar short

Glenise and Tommy_C
    I put my pictures on another site, in fact 2 pages worth. This site should let you click the photo to make it larger, please check it out. Link below.

All,
    I'm at work right now, so I don't have exact model #'s, but here is a general list of my equipment.
    Sony progressive scan DVD player, hooked up with Monster cable component video wires, and fiber optic cable for the sound. Onkyo Dolby/DTS 6.1 receiver, Mitubishi 65 inch widescreen, rear projection HDTV, and the speakers are Polk Audio SDA's for the front, JBL northridge series for Center, and Yamaha for rear speakers, which all will be upgrade to Polk's soon.
    Randy
    Hope it works, big pics of theater.

9. Randy Laporte

10. Jeff La Clair

Very nice. I like the colors and the trim work. That's a nice Home Theater and a nice size room.

Jeff La Clair

11. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Thanks for the bigger pics!

12. Randy Laporte

Glenise,
    Both yours and your Dad's theaters are great, I really want to go with real theater seating also, but I'm getting complaints from family and friends about comfort, right now you can see in the pics, I just have a bunch of random seating, but I plan on getting all matching recliners, comfortable yes, but just doesn't have that total theater look as your chairs have. Well I still have time to think about it, because I haven't ordered any chairs yet!!
    Randy[​IMG]