What's new

Please check out my new home theater page! (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
My friend was nice enough to create a web page for my VERY modest home theater. I realize it's not the best home theater, but the equipment is temporary until I can save up more cash for a whole new system! :) I'm a 23 year old college student, so I am a poor man. Any tips would be great! I realize there are some flaws (component stacking etc.) but right now it's the best I can do. Let me know what you think!
http://mirkwoodhometheater.tripod.com/MirkHome.html
james
p.s. If the link does not work please use the home icon above. Thanks!
[Edited last by james e m on August 29, 2001 at 12:00 PM]
[Edited last by james e m on August 29, 2001 at 04:13 PM]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi James. Not a bad system.
Since you asked for some suggestions... :)
- Do you have that center speaker up on feet, or just sitting on the TV? Try some rubber door-wedges or pink-rubber erasers to make feet. (paperback books also work well) Also, pull the center forward so it over-hangs the front of the TV by about 1/4 inch.
- Those are darn big woofers in those speakers. And it's the woofers that take most of the power. Since you have a dedicated sub, try defining the L/R speakers as SMALL and let the sub take care of all the low-frequency. This will free up power for the mid-range and tweeters. Many people find this sounds the best in their systems.
- The "speakers-in-line with the TV" placement looks good for pictures, but speakers tend to sound better with more room. Pull those L/R speakers into the room about a foot. Try some toe-in so the sound from each speaker intersect about a foot behind your primary listening position. (A cheap laser-pointer is a nice tool for this. Roll the pointer on a table and make sure the spot moves horizontally, and not in little-circles to make sure the beam is aligned with the body). Check the levels with your sound meter after moving the speakers or changing the angles.
- Stands: the speakers tend to sound better on spikes. In your case, try and get some small stands that raise the speakers up so that the tweeters on all 3 front speakers are closer to the same height. Experiment by placing a bunch of books under the L/R speakers to get them to the same height. Try Star Trek:Insurrection chapter 25 for sounds that swirl across your speakers. Listen and decide if the change is worth it before building/buying small stands for the L/R speakers. (Using rubber door-wedges under the center will tilt the center down and compensate for the L/R being lower. This might be the cheapest/easiest thing to do).
When doing things to play with the sound, I suggest setting up some chapter in a A-B repeat loop (the only use I have found for this feature) and turn OFF the TV. This will cause your hearing to become more sensistive to sounds that move from speaker to speaker.
Hope this helps.

james e m

Second Unit
Bob...
Thanks a lot for the info that I can use! A lot of peoples advice seems to be "buy better speakers" which does me no good. I'll try everything you suggested except moving the main speakers out, I can't do that because there is a wall on the one side and a couch on the other. Thank you very much!
james

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks