Please can someone be as kind as to help me connecting an amp?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ferdinand T, Feb 23, 2002.

1. Ferdinand T

Ferdinand T Auditioning

I know it takes alot to get a reply but I decided to post this thread hoping I'd get lucky. I just bought a Onkyo TX-DS797 and it can be upgraded to a 7.1. I just need a amp. Well I would like to use my old receiver, a Sony STR-DE945 just for the time being until I can afford a real amp. Now I ask the question if it was possible and was told yes. Now what I need to know is where to put the RCA jacks from the Onkyo receiver? Into the rear speaker inputs on the Sony?

Ferdinand

2. Paul Campbell

Assuming that your cables are coming from the 6 & 7 channel outputs on your onkyo, I would probably hook them to your front left and right inputs on your sony's 5.1 input section on the back. This would probably be the most problem free way of doing it. Adjust the volume level of the sony accordingly, keeping in mind that the level of the outputs of your onkyo will change depending on your source material.

I hope this is clear

Paul

3. Ferdinand T

Ferdinand T Auditioning

Cool thanks for the help Paul. One more thing should I even bother with the 7.1 right now since no DVD's incorperate the 7.1 yet? Or should I just stick to the 6.1, which can be used right now? I would like some opinions because I plan to buy the speaker or speakers soon. Now for the 6.1 do I have to use a center channel or can I just use a speaker like I have for my rear surround speakers? Thanks.

4. Ferdinand T

Ferdinand T Auditioning

Please tell me what you guys think. 46 of you looked at this thread and only 1 of you replied. I really want to learn more about home theater and that's why I came here.

5. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

You've already got the amplification, I would go for it!

As far as there not really being many 6.1 sources out, that's true. But, can't you listen to 5.1 stuff in 7.1 speakers? You'll still be reaping the benefits of it IMO. Also, IMO, just another surround speaker is ideal for the rear center, but a lot of times people will use a singe center since they can't buy a single bookshelf speaker. Well, in your case, you need a pair anyway, so I would just go with another pair of what you're currently using for surrounds.

Also, as far as the Sony goes, I would try to set the Sony's volume knob as high as possible and calibrate from the Onkyo. This is generally considered the "cleanest" way to do it.