What's new

Please approve my system before I lay down the cash.. (1 Viewer)

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
I've been investigating my first HT sound purchases and have all but decided on the following.
(Ballpark prices courtesy of shop.yahoo.com and jandr.com)
Panasonic SA-HE100 $240.00
4 JBL S26 $320.00
JBL S-Center $130.00
JBL PB-12 $250.00
Wiring $100.00
--------------------------
$1040.00
I'm looking for feedback on this system before I buy it. I'm a newbie and want to avoid buyers remorse or an early case of upgraditis. I have already purchased a Panny RP82 and Panny 47 inch(Delivery is tomorrow!) :) Do you think I can do any better in this price range? Are there any weak points with this setup? I like good bass, will I be happy with the sub or should I really look into getting an SVS? My only real subwoofer experience is with the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 setup for PCs. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Matt

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
check out the prices at harmanaudio.com. They might have the jbl speakers or something comporable for less. They also have an HK avr110 for around $190 that I IMAGINE would better the panny. This stuff is refurbed but I have had a good experience with it in the past, as have others I have sent their way. Good luck

-rob

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Matt,

You will have a very good setup,

The only thing that I will reconsider will be the Reciever, I think you should go for Pioneer 811, all the recent reviews and comments about this reciever are great. For $60 extra I think is worth it. Or maybe wait for the Denon1803.

Although the PB12 isnt a bad sub, it it design for the N series (I'm not saying it wont sound great), but the 120 is the one that JBL recommends for S series. And for a little more you could get an SVS 25-31PCi(incredible sub). But you could take this as a future upgare.

Any way you go. You will have a great system.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I would change the reciever and the sub...For a reciever try to find an entry level Denon or Onkyo or maybe at clearance prices...In regards to the sub, you could find Velodyne on clearance for around that price...:emoji_thumbsup:

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I like good bass, will I be happy with the sub or should I really look into getting an SVS? My only real subwoofer experience is with the Klipsch Promedia 4.1 setup for PCs
When I was finishing my system a good friend (thanks Phil) suggested me to go with a better sub, I was going to buy the PB12 also. And he told me that the best upgrade I could make was a better sub. And for me is one of the best advices he ever gave me (although many of his advice regarding speakers help out). Right now I have my SVS 25-31PCi, and it is the envy of my friends. It is an great subwofer. If you could stretch you budget, you wont regret it.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I agree with the others. Receiver and sub are only weak points.

The Hsu VTF2 can be had for $450 shipped and will be a significant step up on the PB12. The SVS 25-31PCi would also be an excellent choice.

If you have some tools and a little wood working know how seriously consider building your own sub though. With $300 you can build a sub very similar to an SVS 20-39PCi.

For the receiver I'm not a big fan of the 100hz bass management crossover in both the Panny and Pioneer. Denon, Onkyo and HK (I think) use 80hz crossovers and the Yamaha uses a 90hz.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
If you can't swing the bigger (better) subs, consider the Sony SA-WM40 subwoofer. This is a great $200 subwoofer (esp. if you stuff it).

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would second the vote for the 811S. some guys down the hall from me just got the Panny HE100, and it seems to be a little low on build quality (spring clips!). I have the 811S and am extremely happy with it for the price. If you listen to a large amount of music, you may want to look at Denon or Marantz, however you may trade off some ht features (DPLII, NEO6, DD-EX, DTS-ES) for musical quality. I would never make this trade off, but i listen to about 99% HT/TV.
Your speaker choices look solid (where are you ordering from? because the prices look really good).
Again, the sub might be another weak point, not for a lack of power, but for a lack of last octave extension. The sony WM40 would give you better extension with a slight trade off in power, put it would be worth it. If you can swing it go w/ an SVS. If you think you can handle it, build a Dayton 12" DVC w/ 250w plate amp from parts express for less than $300.
As for wiring, since you're building a entry/middle system, i wouldn't go for expensive stuff (better cables, canare, ext). I also wouldn't go w/ monster because they're somewhat the bose of cables. They are good products, but you are charged exuberent prices for the level of quality you receive. I would look at a company called NXG for all of your interconnects. I completely rewired my system (11 cables) with 1m, 2m, and 10m runs of NXG Component Video, Optical, S-Video, Composite Video, and Stereo cables for under $50. This was ordered from Link Removed
I also went with 14awg Zennith speaker cable from the same site. It was $1.12 per 25ft section. This is far less than you will pay for any 14awg cable, and for runs under 50ft, there is no need for 12awg.
I also got NXG dual gold banana plugs for $1.68 each, again from Link Removed You wouldn't need bananas on the receiver end if you went with the panny because is uses SPRING CLIPS! You would still probably want to go with them on the speaker end either way.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I forgot to mention the cabling. Stephen's advice is very good in this reguard.

Matt Amato

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I failed to mention this system is for 99% HT. Since I'm waiting a little while before purchasing, I decided to just save up for a SVS PCi sub. (Either the 25-31 or 20-39). As for the reciever, I'll take a look at the 811s and I also want to look at the Denon 1803. Stephen, thanks for the wiring advice. I already knew aobut Monster and wasn't planning on purchasing from them. Right now I have the DVD player hooked to the TV with RadioShack gold series components and stereo cables. I'll look into the brand you mentioned for the surround setup. My budget is going to vary slightly depending on how many hours I can put into work wants my last year of school starts. Hopefully I'll be ready to start purchasing in about a month.

Matt

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Matt, go with the 1802. The 1803 does not offer that much over it plus it does not have LCR preouts in case you wanted to add external amplifiers later on. You should also be able to save a few bucks that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks