please answer questions about my speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JohnMM, Feb 26, 2002.

1. JohnMM

JohnMM Stunt Coordinator

Jan 3, 2001

Denon 1800 A/V receiver

L/R speakers: Infinity REF2005 (92db spl @2.83v and 1m)

center speaker: Infinity CC2 (90db @2.83v and 1m)

rear speakers: Infinity REF2001 (89db spl @2.83v and 1m)

My questions are:

1) Are these speakers considered inefficient?

2) Are the Infinity speakers a good match for the Denon receiver? If not, what brand would be considered a better match?

3) This setup produces a "laid back" sound to me. Other setups I've heard seem to have more "punch" and "impact". Is that because of the Denon/Infinity combination, the fact that the receiver isn't real powerful, inefficient speakers?

4) What guage speaker wire would you recommend? The longest run is about 30'.

Thanks for any help.
  2. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Nov 28, 2000
    No, those speakers are not what I'd call inefficient. 90dB and up is usually called efficient. 95+dB is even a step up from that. I would call 85dB and lower speakers inefficient.

Sure, the Infinity is a good match with the Denon. I used to run a Denon 1700 with Infinity RS-5, CC-3, and it sounded great!

I would say that it might be slightly laid back, but not overly so. Other setups might have been what I would call "bright", but in comparison, you might feel like your setup is "laid back." You should try to listen to systems that are known for being totally accurate, such as Dunlavy speakers. Then gauge your system off of that.

You should be fine with 14 or 12 ga wire. I wouldn't go below 14ga for a 30ft. run.
  3. BryanZ

BryanZ Screenwriter

Dec 18, 2000
    Richard is correct with what he told you. If the sound of the Denon/infinity combination is too laid back for your tastes, you will need to see if it is because of the speakers or the receiver. Perhaps try out a Yamaha or Harman Kardon receiver and see how that changes the sound of the speakers. If the speakers remain too laid back for your tastes then you know to replace them with another brand, such as Def Tech, NHT, B&W, or Paradigm.
  4. Bob Marker

Bob Marker Stunt Coordinator

Jul 7, 2001
    It is also possible that the speakers you have heard with more punch and impact have some frequency response anomilies and might become somewhat fatiguing to listen to over an extented period of time. At least, thats been my experience with some speakers that have a more promenient, "upfront" sound.

If possible, you might also experiment a bit with placement of your speakers. I've found that even minor changes (as little as a couple of inches) in speaker positioning can result in substantial changes in system sound.