Please advise on wiring speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Botvinick, Oct 7, 2001.

1. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Sep 13, 2001
    I hope you can give me some advice. I have started getting back into the audiophile hobby and I need some wiring suggestions.
    My current setup is a Kenwood KR-V8070 Pro-Logic (I hope to be going to Digital these holidays). I have them running two Definitive Technology BP2002 with Polk Audio center and rears. When playing a DVD sometimes the amp just shuts itself off and the standby light flashes. This tells me that to much power is being drawn through the amp.
    I went to a local shop and the guy gave me some ideas. I would really appreciate your feedback. Currently I am simply running one set of monster speaker cables to the BP2002 using the gold interconnectors for the LOW, MID and High inputs. The guy at the shop told me to take out the interconnectors and run one set of wire from speaker A from the back of the AMP to the High input and run one set of wires from the Speaker B to the Mid input and use the RCA out for the Sub/Low input. Of course do this for both speakers and the impedance will lower and I should have less problems with my Amp turning off? Does this make sense to any of you out there?
    Also there is a switch on the back of Kenwood that to the Left it says “A OR B less than 8ohm, A & B 8ohm or more” and to the right it says “A or B 8ohm or more” Should I leave the switch to the left??
    On the back of the Definitive Technology it has an optional LFE in or Left or Right full range in for sub.
    On the back of the Kenwood there are pre amps for Left, Right, Rear Left and Right and Sub.
    What is the best way to wire the speakers?
  2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

May 22, 1999
    The idea of split-wireing the speakers is a little funny.
    You must first check your speaker wires at the back of each speaker, and behind your receiver. You must make sure that you have no little strands of copper sticking out/loose. This could cause a short.
    I strongly recommend the dual-banana plugs sold at RadioShack. They will work for the DefTech speakers, and mabey the others and behind the receiver. This makes it easy to do a neat/safe wireing job.
    I have 2 suggestions for you:
    SETUP A:
    Keep the speaker wires going to the DefTechs. Tell your receiver that these speakers are LARGE. Tell your receiver that the center and rear speakers are SMALL.
    This should route all LFE sounds and low-frequency sounds from the center and rears to the DefTechs. Let it's built-in woofers handle the work. This should solve your problem.
    If the problem persists:
    SETUP B:
    Tell your receiver that all your speakers are SMALL.
    Tell your receiver that you have a external sub. (This will send the LFE and all the low-frequency sounds from all speakers to the LFE port on the receiver).
    On the DefTechs, move the jumper so the HIGH and MID jumpers are together and run speaker wire here.
    Get a "Y" adaptor and 2 RCA cables from RadioShack. Plug the adaptor into the LFE port on the Kenwood. Run the RCA cables from the adaptor to the LFE inputs on the speakers.
    Hope this helps.