Please advise on building a new home

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Botvinick, Nov 28, 2001.

1. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Stunt Coordinator

Advice on a new home:
    Good news, my wife and I are buying a new home. It is in the process of being built.
    Has anyone recently gone through this and did they have speaker wire run before the house was finished? I will have a downstairs family room with a regular TV and maybe
    my older stereo that is Dolby pro-logic. Up stairs I WILL HAVE A DEDICATED HOME THEATRE ROOM finally!!!
    If I pre-wire for speakers should I plan on wiring for four (4) rear channels. I have the Outlaw 1050 for upstairs. I could run at least two rears channels and one rear center.
    Should I prepare for the future and wire for more?
    I would appreciate any advice as I know how a mistake could cost a lot later.
    Thanks,
    Michael
    [email protected]

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I haven't built a house, but a friend did and he wired his entire house for audio during the construction. I would say, wire the sh*t out of the place... who knows what you will need in the future. It's much easier to do before the drywall goes up.

Also... look into sound abatement while you have the chance. A lot of construction companies wont insulate interior walls (or noisy pipes)... so, a few bucks spent now on fiberglass insulation now could save the china from rattling later. This goes for your HT as well as other walls you may not want noise to travel through (ie.. showers, bathrooms, etc...)

3. Todd Durham

Todd Durham Agent

Amen, to the last post. We are currently building a new house. In the home theater room we wired in a 6 speaker setup through the walls, put in 2 dedicated outlets for equipment, ran my s-vhs and rca plugs in wall, and put in a flexible conduit running from my audio rack to where my tv is for future wiring such as component video cables. We also ran speaker wire to the master bedroom, living room, and the patio from this location. Also ask about a "jack pipe" installation by the electricians. This is another flexible conduit but this one runs from my crawl space to the attic. This way just in case you forgot something you can just run it down through the jack pipe to save alot of hassle.

We also ran phone, and rg6 cable to every bedroom as well as several spots in the home theater room. Something to think about just in case you want a satellite system. The insulation comment is a good one. We insulated the floor above our home theater room so as to dampen the effects some.

You are only limited by your imagination so talk with your electrician and get him excited about what you are doing. After spending alot of time walking through our framed house and talking with our guy I invited him over for beers and a Rockin movie after we move in. Good Luck

4. Darrin_R

Darrin_R Stunt Coordinator

Remember when you pre-wire to use the proper UL/CL rated cable for your area. If you dont, it wont pass inspection when the house is completed.

5. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Michael, There is an excelent magazine on the stands right now that would help you out.

Electronic House- 2002 Annual Planning Guide.

It Has "PLANNING GUIDE" accros the top in large print and should be found with the rest of the audio/video Mags. You may have to look in a large bookstore such as B&N or Joseph-Beth.

It runs down everything you need to know about Pre-wiring, whole house audio/video, structured wiring, automation, you name it. It will cement everything Bob McElfresh was explaining in your other post. The entire issue is tutorials, a great resource for someone building a new home.