Please advise on 5.1 HT system!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AdamV, Aug 13, 2002.

1. AdamV

AdamV Auditioning

Hey everyone,

Need some advise, bit of a newbie. I would like to build a HT and would appreciate some insight on what I can get for $1,000 to $1,200(MAX!) receiver, speakers and sub. I have a carpeted 22L X 13W X 9H livingroom which opens up into my dining area. I like to listen to Rap, Spanish & R&B(with the occassional Jazz). I would say usage would be 65% music and 35% movies.

I would really appreciate any and all insight!

2. Clint Roberts

Clint Roberts Auditioning

If you could increase your budget just slightly I would suggest calling AV123 for some Diva's (now replaced by Rockets but still excellent speakers). Get a Denon 2802 and hold out for a HSU sub, VTF-2 or VTF-3. If you just had about $750 more. Otherwise check out www.cheaphometheater.com for recommendations such as Axioms, etc.

3. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Got any tools? Think you could build the enclosures yourself? If you can there are some great options that will fit that budget.

4. Marcus Lewis

Marcus Lewis Stunt Coordinator

www.ascendacoustics.com
    ... Nuff said ... Fantastic product at a great price ...
    www.svsubwoofers.com
    ... Same comment as above ...
    Get the speaker package from Ascend and pick up a 25-31PCi from the boys at SVS ...

5. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

You could get an H/K AVR-125 receiver, and Energy Take 5.2 speaker system for about $1000.

6. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

But Marcus, any of the systems listed from Ascend Acoustics plus an SVS will take him to his budget limit and he still needs a receiver.