1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Please advice on putting together home audio system

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by vasia, May 2, 2004.

1. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I am considering a strategy for building a new HiFi system and would appreciate suggestions. I have two little kids, so I am extremely limited in the ability to go to auditions, so any help in narrowing down the possibilities will be extremely helpful. I have about 1200$ to spend on the receiver/amp and I am also planning to get a pair on nice floorstanders, but that’s a separate issue. My music preferences are mainly rock and to a less extent classic, jazz and more mellow genres. My music collection comes from pre-HiFi days, so its 50% mp3s, 25% cassettes and 25% CDs. My current source is Toshiba SD3109 DVD and some portable CD/mp3 payers. I have some budget to start putting a HiFi together and I would like to start with a nice receiver/speaker first and then, maybe in the future, keep upgrading other components. However, how soon and how much is absolutely unclear at this point. I would like to keep HT option open for future upgrades, but I am mostly interested in 2 Ch. Setup right now. So, my priorities are to have a nice set up to start with, but also which would have good potential for future upgrades towards both 2 Ch. and HT, i.e. I would like to start in such a way that would allow me to upgrade other pieces for HT/music in the future and keep the current amp/receiver for a while. Based on various forums I went to a store and picked up Marantz SR8300 on clearance for 1200$ and I am loving it thus far. However, I am still considering maybe returning it and starting with Rotel receiver/amp.
    So, my first question is, how would Rotel compare to SR8300 in terms of quality and music reproduction (plain better, or brighter, more balaced, etc.)? I heard a lot about “special” Rotel sound that people really enjoy.
    Here are three main strategies I though about. Could you please comment, wchich one to pick based on 1) enjoying it most for a while, 2) being able to upgrade in the future.
    1)Keep SR8300 and in the future (at least a year) maybe improve source and/or add an amp fot the mains, using Marantz as a preamp.
    2)Get the Rotel receiver, like RSX-1056, which is kind of underpowered from what I understand. In the future definitely add amp and maybe source. Also, I am considering very power hungry speakers.
    3)Finally, get an integrated amp, like Rotel RA-1070, and in the future add a cheap receiver and source.
    Thanks a lot!

2. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I did some auditioning today and listen to NAD and Rotel receivers (763 and 1056 respectively) coupled to B&W 603 and 604 as well as Monitor Studio 60 v3. Rotel was a clear winner over NAD IMO and Monitors beat B&W by a wide margin. Unfortunately, that's about all I can audition for right now. However, I really liked Rotel+Studio 60's combo and really considering gettin it.
    I still have two questions though.
    1) I got a Marantz SR8300 on clearence and have to decide whether to keep it or return right now. Unfortunately, I have no way to compare it to Rotel, since I do not have good speakers at home and would not get them till at least a month from now. The only negative about Rotel is the lower nominal power rating, but I am not listening to music loud anyways and the room is pretty small (13X18). So, can someone comment on Rotel versus Marantz in terms of quality, sound, etc.
    2) I really liked Monitor studio 60's good soundstage, positioning, decent and tight bass. THe sound was a bit bright, but not anything annoying. How would it compare to Axiom M60Ti's or Rocket RS550 or 750. What else would be similar/better?

3. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, I meant Paradigm Studio 60 v.3.

4. vasia

vasia Stunt Coordinator

Also, please keep in mind that I can get Rotel+Studio 60s as a package, but Marantz+Studio 60s will be out of my price range.

5. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

Well I can't add too much, but you're doing the right thing by auditioning [​IMG]

As for the Rotel, don't worry too much about its nominal power rating -- particularly if you've heard the combination together and find it pleasing. Note that you WILL have different results in your own room.

Rotel has a reputation (deserved or not) for being "honest" with its ratings.