What's new

Plea for Help...Speakers for 12x12 HT (1 Viewer)

Tim_B

Agent
Ok, I have purchased the video portion of my HT, with a Panasonic 53wx42, a Panny RP82 and Cox Cable HD (through a SA3100hd). Now, on to the audio side....

I am almost convinced to get the Denon 1803 when it comes out in the next couple of weeks. The most difficulty I am having is find the right speakers for my room. I am in a 12 x 12 room, with one side one into the kitchen. The floor is tile with an area rug. I have a leather couch and chair as furniture and the Panny takes up a good portion of the room. So, now that you have a picture of the HT, I have a self imposed budget of 500-750 on speakers. I was look at the AR HC6's and the Energy Take 5.2.....any comments on these? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for the helP!

Tim

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Enery Take has had good reviews, I havent heard it so I cant comment.

I think you should tell us how much are you willing to spend on your system and preferences(music/movies).

But I have a 13x13 room and I bought the following
Four JBL S26 ($340)
JBL S center ($140)
SVS 25-31PCi ($500)
Marantz Sr6200 ($700)

And for me this is a very good system for the money. You could start searching the JBLs Studio series or AXIOM, both are very good for the money, if you have a little more money to spend, Paradigm or Klipsch could be a better option.

Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Tim_B

Agent
Thanks Pablo,

My budget is 500 to 750 for speakers (not including the receiver)

I will use it for 75% hometheater and 25% music.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
i'm getting ready to do about a $350 upgrade for 7 speakers and i'm looking at going with the JBL N28s as mains, and a JBL NSP1 Package to get the NCenter, and use the 4 N24s as surrounds and back surrounds in a 7.1 setup. If you wanted to come in under budget this would be a solid way to go. It would also give you $250 to play with for a sub (JBL PB10 or PB12 would be a good choice, or DIY).

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Tim,
My budget is 500 to 750 for speakers (not including the receiver)
Check out the following,
JBL NSP1 5-piece Home-Cinema Package $209
Sony SA-WM40 Active Subwoofer $149
And the you could add, either
JBL N28II 2-Way 8" Bookshelf Speaker $180
Or
JBL N38 3-way, 8" Floorstanding $200
And put them as mains, and move the N24 to the back in a 6.1 or 7.1 setup. So for about $560 + shipping that should be around $90. You could have a very good setup in 7.1. And then if you like you could upgrade your sub to an SVS.
Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Tim_B

Agent
Thanks Guys for the advice.

Right now I am looking at:

Accoustic Research HC6's
Paradigm Cinema or Micros (I know a bit above budget)
JBL S-26 JBL S-Center and applicable sub
psb alpha intro
athena tech point 5

Any other advice?

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Tim:
I think the Denon AVR-1803 is a great choice - I am waiting for it to hit the stores myself.
If you are looking to compare the specs on most of the speaker systems you are considering and several others, check out the buyer's guide to 5.1 speaker systems in the $500 to $1000 USD range at http://hometheater.valuecanuck.com.
Hope that helps,
Jeff

Tim_B

Agent
Thanks Jeff, your site has a lot of good info. Do you have any opinions regarding the speakers on your site? I am looking for real world performance of speakers. thx.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Out of the suggestions so far I like the JBL SVS one the best. Also consider the Hsu VTF2 or Adire Rava (this one could work given your room size) for a sub.

I'd also suggest Sound Clearing House.

4x K05B50 and a K05C25 center. Plus the SVS, Hsu or Adire sub.

Fully assembled the 5 speakers would be $500. If you have some basic tools and wouldn't mind building and finishing the enclosures (I'd buy the precut baffels from them though) you could bring that down to $320 plus whatever you spend on MDF and finsihing materials.

Ash

Auditioning
Hi, I have the Denon1802 and the room is much the size you have. I bought the JBL-Simply Cinema series(SCS135) and am pleased with the performance! For the price, it's a good package deal. Take a look...

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Hehe well it says "Myaffiliateprogram.com/"
DIY = Do it yourself?
First question is can you build a simple box MDF cabinet? 2nd is if you can't do that, can you at least install a driver and use simple soldering skills to wire or perhaps assemble a crossover?
For a subwoofer that has 24-160hz response with 112DB @ 24hz, I'd go for the Parts Express 10" Titanic Subwoofer Kit. It should take about an hour to screw in the driver and wire it to the amp and you'll have good bass for $350.
You can have even better bass per buck if you can assemble the enclosure yourself since you can buy a 15" tempest driver for $150 + $120 for the 250watt plate amp.
As for other speakers there are many kits out there, some with 5 speakers like this one.
Of course a tiled ground and 12x12' room isn't going to do justice for most speakers out there. :frowning:

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Axiom does indeed have an affiliate program - it doesn't mean the recommendation is wrong.
As a matter of fact the Axiom Epic Micro is the second most musical (IMO music is a lot harder to do well than home theater) sub-$1000 USD 5.1 system that I have heard. The most musical would be the Axiom Epic Mini with its small bookshelves (instead of the Micro's satellites) and larger center. In addition, the "quadpolar" surround technology (woofers up and down, tweeters left and right) that Axiom uses makes for excellent surround envelopment.
Buying either setup new from Axiom Audio means you will be over your $750 budget. You could buy factory seconds to bring the cost down, but your best bet is probably to contact Marc at Audioshop in Ottawa, Ontario. Marc's website is http://www.audioshop.on.ca.
Marc is a Canadian dealer for Axiom (they don't have US dealers) and although he can only display retail prices for Axiom on his site (he only has a link to AxiomAudio.com now), he can do better than the MSRP's found on AxiomAudio.com. Contact him via email for his best price.
Hope that helps,
Jeff

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Tim, I would add the Energy Take 5.2 system to your list. It has gotten a number of good reviews and can be had in your price range I believe.

good luck,

--tom

Jeff_Fitz

Stunt Coordinator
Tim:

A couple of questions that might help folks with recommendations...

- Will this system be used for music and HT? If so, what percent of music use?
- Is size of the speakers an issue?

Jeff

JohnBrianW.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Fitz, I try ot be fair and pass on any info or reccomendations I have without bias. Marc is a good guy to deal with, he answered a lot of my questions aswell. Dahlquists orbit 5.1 is on sale for $699CDN at audioshop.

Tim_B

Agent
Thanks Jeff (any everyone for their suggestions)

I will use the system for 75% HT and 25% music. I am not much of an audiophile and probably do not possess the time/patientice/ability to build speakers.

I know the room may be too small to get some big tower speakers however, I do have some space around the couch and around the TV to place some small towers in front or at least mount some bookshelves.

Tim_B

Agent
One other quick question....

What stand alone Subwoofer do you guys recommend for a small room (12x12)? Price is an issue....

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks