playstation2 with component video output

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by felix_suwarno, Jan 3, 2002.

1. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

the ps2 cant do progressive scan, so why did they bother giving it a component video output? is it worth 30 bucks to use the component cable on standard tv? or is it better to just use the svideo? i got a feeling i cant differentiate the result between using svideo and component cable since i dont have a high end tv.

2. AngelaG

AngelaG Auditioning

As I understand it, component video is the native video standard of DVD video. So of course, hooking up your PS2 to play DVDs this way will produce the optimum picture quality - not to mention your games will look quite fantastic.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

svid separates the color and light portions into two separate cable pairs.

Component separates it into three. Try it and see. I'm sure somebody has a more accurate explantion of svid and component than I do.

4. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

but i am talking about regular cheapo 20 inch flat toshiba tv here. still better with component cable? i mean, is the picture quality will be dramatically improved from svideo to component? worth 30 bucks????

5. Steve Tack

Steve Tack Agent

I've got a 65" HD set, and the difference between S-video and component is extremely subtle even on that set (to me). I'd stick with the S-video.