Playstation PORTABLE!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Rob Lutter, May 13, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Just announced at their E3 press conference (and communicated to me from Jeff Kleist)...

PSP: The Playstation Portable

3" optical discs (1.8GB) w/ protective shell, backlit 4.5" screen, rechargable, USB2.0, Memory stick, 32 bit, 480x272 pixel 16x9 screen

*DROOOOOOL*

discuss [​IMG]

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

And not due till 4th quarter 2004.

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

4. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

Since this thing has 3" optical discs, I guess you cannot play old Play Station 1 games on it. I would think that that could be a major selling point.

5. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

any pictures of this thing show up yet?

6. Ben Seibert

Ben Seibert Stunt Coordinator

I would bet they only have concept sketches at this point, and we won't see any sort of playable model for quite awhile. I wonder what kind of third party support they will get. On one hand, it's Sony, but Nintendo has the handheld market pretty well under control.

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

It should be pretty interesting. They could have done themselves a huge favor by having backward compatibility...but who knows. Nintendo will probably be looking at a new model sometime in 2005, I think they'll still be in a pretty good position at that point.

Glen

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Considering a PSX disc has less than 700 MB on it, and that these discs hold 1.8 GB, I'm betting they plan to rerelease some PSX classics for it, much like Nintendo did for SNES games on the GBA.

9. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

This weekend CNN reported that someone else (can't remember who, unfortunately) will be showing off another new portable in the $200 range. Between this, the PSP, and N-Gage, I'd say that the new manufacturers aren't looking to compete with Nintendo & the Gameboy, but rather to try to take hold in a different market demographic.

-Dave

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

The reason people buy GameBoys is the same reason people buy GameCubes: the exclusive games. Sony has a shot at getting great games for their handheld (and disc based, sweet!) but that's the only real competition.

11. Dalila

Dalila Stunt Coordinator

This is what I have been waiting for!!!!

However, I think it's about 12 months too late. (which has me very concerned)

It had better be more comparable to a PS 1 and 1/2 then the PS1 if it's not coming out till Fall 2004. Thats VERY late in the game. And as we have seen before, coming late to the party and not offering a HUGE diff, spells poor sales. So, we see how this develops.

12. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

They would have had me if it played PSX disks. It strikes me as trying to double-dip its venerable console market with ports of old titles, and make you pay for them again. Just like the GBA. Not really a Playstation portable, more like a Sony Portable.

Still, if games are easily ported and gets me FF Chronicles/Anthology or FFVII portable, I would be interested.

13. Aaron Copeland

Aaron Copeland Second Unit

Aaron
    About time. As it stands now I do not own, nor do I intend to buy, the GBA SP. It's the first GB system that I didn't own the day it launched in N. America. I just got tired of having GB systems in drawers collecting dust with nothing decent to play except remakes of games I played 10 years ago (IMO, IMO, IMO). It just got to the point where I would rather just read a book than play the GB (i.e. when I'm out on a trip of some sort). I hope Sony's entry can breathe life into an otherwise boring and stagnate market.

14. Jonathan Dagmar

Jonathan Dagmar Supporting Actor

"The reason people buy GameBoys is the same reason people buy GameCubes: the exclusive games. "

Uh, no.

15. James Davis

James Davis Agent

Their money is made selling games, not systems. They want you to build a library of games, even if they are ports. Not horde your money and put your old games to use.

16. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

17. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

18. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

If it is over $100 when it comes out, and looking at the specs it looks like it will be, it wont stand a chance. Handhelds magic price point is 100, kinda like a consoles is 300. We will see.

19. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Bah, been there...done dat [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think the PSP is going to take a while to come out for a few reasons: make sure they have good launch games, make sure they can manufacture it cheap, reduce the price of it, and get the jump on Nintendo's next handheld.

The N-Gage was announced today as having a $300 pricetage. Anything about $100 for a handheld is too much for me, especially since I don't want a cell phone or MP3 player. I could get a GBA (not SP), CD player that plays MP3s, and a cell phone and be satisfied for less than $300. And I'd have every game ever released on a GB, GBC, or GBA available to play.