What's new

PlayStation Move (1 Viewer)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
So I went out yesterday and got the $99.99 PS Move that comes with the PSEye, one controller, the demo disc, and Sports Champions. My initial impression was that the controller is bigger/longer than I expected and the white orb is a lot less interesting than I thought. It's just a rubber material and is hollow, though when you think about it I can understand why. I'm not sure what else I expected from it.

As for the game demos, I only played a couple. My biggest complaints would be that not every game would have you using the PSEye at the same position, most notably a game like echochrome ii (PSEye at "shoulder height," so on top of the TV) versus EyePet (PSEye at 30-60 cm from the ground pointed straight down). I haven't tried too much else, mainly because you need to install each demo onto the HDD (which takes a few minutes) and after going through all the setup/calibration for the EyePet demo, I was more interested in trying out the Monkey Island: SE 1 and 2 pack that I downloaded on PSN for $7.49 and the copy of Professor Layton 3 that I bought.

I'm installing the Time Crisis: Razing Storm demo and will probably try out Tumble later tonight or tomorrow, eventually working my way to Sports Champions. Anyone else get the Move?

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I'm planning to. But the promo bundles seem to have sold out here within a day or two -- our starter bundler (one controller, Eye, starter disc and one game) goes for SGD139, and it was possible to get a second controller for $39 (usual price $69). But that seems to have sold out completely already.

It seems odd that Sony wants to sell bundles with just one controller: isn't the whole point of Move aimed at more of a party-game audience, in which case two controllers would be preferred? Even with the initial PS3 purchase I've always thought it odd only one controller is included, but then again from personal experience I've never needed a second (I have needed another guitar controller, though... )

My understanding is that the ball on top is for the PS3 to optically track movements of the controller, through the camera.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
It's unfortunate that there's no bundle available for people who already have the Eye. (At least that I've seen.)

Then again, if you have to move it around, maybe it'd be useful to have more than one Eye.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Originally Posted by Yee-Ming )

The real odd thing with the bundle is you get a move, an eye, a game, and no navigation controller. Seems like a cheap out. I understand that you can use a dual shock instead, but those dual shocks are cumbersome to use one handed. I can't imagine anyone not wanting that navigation controller.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You don't necessarily need the nav controller for the games on the demo disc and for Sports Champions. If anything, having a second move controller would be more handy than a nav controller. Nintendo got away with requiring the nunchuk for some games because one is packed in with the console. I think the nav controller is DOA because it isn't packed in and I can't really justify buying it.

That said, it will be interesting to see the Move as a different way to play games instead of being a primary control method. Imagine playing a Wii game and thinking, "Man, I wish I could just use a regular controller," or vice-versa for a PS3 game. Well, this could be the answer.

And Yee, you are correct about the camera tracking the white orb. It is a combination of accelerometers (Wii Remote), gyroscopes (Wii MotionPlus), a magnetoscope (read: compass), and the orb that give the Move a sub-millimeter accuracy in three dimensional space. It is pretty impressive.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toys R Us is giving a $25 gift card if you spend $125 on Move stuff. . .the controller, nunchuk, and a game would do the trick. The question is whether any of the games are worth getting! Morgan? I'm sure there will be other deals in the future if not.

Incidentally, my Costco had the bundle for $90. I already have the Eye though.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I haven't bought anything yet for the Move because nothing looks good. That said, I really want to get Time Crisis.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I have a feeling that "Eyepet" and "Start The Party" have been written off as flops, since Fry's was bundling the two games together last week for $50, and this week they're offering the games free with the 320Gb PS3 Move bundle ($399).

I have really been enjoying "Sports Champions," to the point of being sore from using muscles that haven't been used in quite some time. The two games I am really looking forward to are "The Fight: Lights Out" and "Kung Fu LIVE," both games I had the opportunity to demo at E3 this past summer. "Kung Fu LIVE" will be a download only game, available on PSN.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Toys R Us THIS weeks has buy 2 get 1 free on ALL video games and accessories, including Move gear. Hm. . .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks