Playstation Broadband Help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Adam Sanchez, Jan 23, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Please forgive me for the dumb question I am about to ask. My brother is about to get broadband for his Computer and wants to also use it for his Playstation 2.

Now I know all about Networking for computers, but have never put a Video Game system into the mix. I know they have those wireless gaming stations to use with the Next Gen Systems. But I was wondering can a Network cable be simply SPLIT and be sent to the computer and then the Ps2? I am guessing no, that you have to have a router in the mix, but I just thought I would ask just in case.

He can not afford a router at this time so I just wanted to ask for him. Might there be other low cost options to do what he needs to do? Like a hub? I have an old one he can use if so.

Thank you for the help.

2. Adam Sanchez

Adam Sanchez Supporting Actor

Bumpage.

3. BenS

BenS Stunt Coordinator

I am also wondering the best and cheapest way to do this.

4. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Ok, can a network cable be split into 2, YES and NO [​IMG]

A regular cat 5 cable has 8 wires, but only 4 are used for tcpip, thus you can have 2 connections with 1 cable. That's the YES, the NO part is, you need some form of router to hook 2 computers to one high speed connection.

What you are really asking, of course, is weather you can have two computers (or xbox, or ps2) on the same 4 wires, and that is a NO, at least not at the same time, as there would be huge issues with collisions, and MAC addressing.

So, here is what i would do, go to www.compgeeks.com, and get a cheap router box (around 50 bucks or less). Here is a good one: http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DI-704P-R
    Then you can use it to route your computer and ps2 traffic, and 2 other devices since it has a built in switch.

You could go wireless, but the routers cost more, and you have to also purchase a wireless bridge. Going direct cat wire is the cheapest solution.

Kimo