Playstation as DVD player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg Hux, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Greg Hux

Greg Hux Auditioning

What are the limitations of the PS2 as a DVD player? Sony have reduced their price and are throwing in a few extras including the remote, so I'm considering it. I had a bad experience with a Samsung player so I'd like some reassurance that its not prone to 'freezes'. I believe its output is interlaced.

2. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

You would be 10-100X happier with a cheap player like a Daewoo DVD-5700 for $99. The playback is alright, but I'd never use it as a DVD player unless I had no other option.

3. Greg Hux

Greg Hux Auditioning

I'm in Australia. I've never seen a Daewoo DVD player but have seen some other cheap players for $200 (AUS). To give you an idea of pricing here - a Sony PS2 is $AUS499 (recently reduced from $650), name brand but cheap DVD around $AUS300. Sure, your dollar's worth around 2 of ours, but the local 'perception' of a dollar remains about the same (I could use what I call the 'Big Mac' index if you would like me to explain that further!).

4. Peter Loan

Peter Loan Second Unit

It's a well known fact that the PS2 sucks as a DVD player. The picture quality is poor and it has problems playing a lot of discs.

5. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

I used to use mine, but it always had lipsynching problems with DTS titles. Stay away from the PS2 as a DVD player unless you have no choice.

6. JeffreyH

JeffreyH Stunt Coordinator

I never had trouble playing discs on my PS2 and I used it reguarly for a year. So not every PS2 has that problem.

I did use it for a year and just grew tried of it. It's loud (the fan) and sucks up a lot of dust. It's also very slow loading and slow at skipping between menus and chapters. I didn't know how bad the blacks on the player were until I got a stand alone player.

So no, don't use it for JUST a dvd player.

7. Greg Hux

Greg Hux Auditioning

Three strikes...

Guess I'll start looking at dedicated units again.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Someone I know saw a jitter measurement on it (Stereophile, more than likely). Very bad at like 10,000 ps. < 200 is outstanding, 500 is OK, and 1000 is barely acceptable.

9. Brad Eisenhauer

Brad Eisenhauer Stunt Coordinator

I'll echo what those above said about their problems with the PS2 DVD playback. I keep my PS2 at my fiancee's apartment so we can watch movies there too, otherwise I wouldn't use it for DVD at all. The picture is not as good as my old Creative Encore player, the slow loading and menus are frustrating when all I want is to watch the darn movie, but far more frustrating is that it seems to have trouble reading the second layer on a lot of discs. About half-way through a lot of movies, it will start dropping bits, skipping and finally it gives the dreaded "Unable to read disc" message. I assume it's a second layer problem, I'd have to do some checking into exactly where the layer change is on some of them to be sure.

Going out this week to look for a semi-decent-yet-still-low-end standalone player for her apartment.

10. paul watkins

paul watkins Stunt Coordinator

mine just looks dark when i play dvds.not very good picture at all

11. Arthur W

Arthur W Auditioning

I can kind of echo what has been said above. The PS2, while a great game system, is just not a good DVD player. We have had numerous problems with the image freezing for a split second in the middle of a movie. We have also had some problems with lip sync not matching up on certain titles. It is slow to operate, and navigating through the menues gets be be a big pain. so any way. . .
    PS2 AS A DVD PLAYER: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    PS2 AS A GAME SYSTEM: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    just my 2 cents

12. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

plus it is so hard to hook up to the surround system that we just gave up. Is there a way to hook video games up to the Sony "Home Theater in a Box".