Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
ps3front.jpg

Made you look!
That's pretty funny, you'd have to admit! :D
Troy

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
I was about to get real pissed! This whole system war had better be over! Lets enjoy what we have for a few years. PS2 and the X-Box should be fine for at least 5 years!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am actually seriously thinking of looking at the Sony PS3 when it comes out in a couple of years. I held off buying into today's technologies (NGC, PS2, XB) knowing that the next leap should be light years ahead of what they have now.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The thing is, we won't be getting another generation of consoles until around 2005 (the early release of the PS3 is just a rumor and some speculation and most likely false). The reason people buy consoles is not because of their technological power over the previous generation, but how that power will be harnessed for the games. I didn't buy a GameCube because it was better than the N64, I bought it because I like the games and am excited about them. So what I'm saying is that you should look more at the games than the technology to decide which console to buy. If you don't buy a current gen console, you will miss out on a LOT of games.

But its your choice. This is just my opinion.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
The rumour of the early PS3 release stems from a comment that the Pres of SCEI made about releasing it early to combat the Gamecube and Xbox.

So while it is still a rumour of sorts, it stems from a quote from someone who would know what he is talking about.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
It will be at least a few more years before technology that would be light years ahead of the X-Box/PS2/GCN can be produced cheaply enough to bring to market.

I think this is it for a while.

Anthony_J

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know. After seeing what the rubber duck controller unit can do for a simple playstation 1, I think we can find a ton of things missing in the current generation of systems. We may be crying for next-gen pretty soon.

The tinfoil wrap is great. Zero radiation gamma emissions and amazing looks to boot.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
The PS3 will be based on the CELL architecture(over 1000 times more powerfull than the Emotion Engine)..

The CELL project is a joint development between Toshiba, Sony Computer Entertainment (notice I didn't say Sony Corp.) and IBM...

The Cell project is headed up by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan's CTO, Shinichi Okamoto and is being developed at IBM's research facility in Austin, TX....

Per IBMs computer roadmap, CELL will *NOT* be available in "consumer applications" (PS3) until late 2005 (HELL, early runs of the chip are not due until 2004)

According to a friend of mine (from a well known Japanese dev that rhimes with tapcom) the PS3 is due in japan in 2005 and will not see release in north america before 2006....

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
Kelley, interesting info. Where does it come from? Just a small aside: it pisses me off how we always get the shaft from Japan for getting new consoles.

Bergan Peters

Stunt Coordinator
That's why Im happy we have a little company named Microsoft on our side of the Pacific. If the PS3 is 1000 times more powerful than the PS2, and the Xbox was twice as powerful as the PS2....whoooooo. Take that Japan.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
it would be stupid for Sony MS, NIN etc to release a newer system too soon anyway..cause they would wind up lossing way too much money.

i heard something like it will take MS 2 years before they actually start making a profit..and Sony is supposed to show a profit from the PS2 this Jan..

i also heard that MS is lossing 125.00 on every system it sells now..because it costs them 425.00 to manufacture..but i dont know if thats true. But it makes sense..since MS gave out IE for free..just to get market share..

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
That's why Im happy we have a little company named Microsoft on our side of the Pacific. If the PS3 is 1000 times more powerful than the PS2, and the Xbox was twice as powerful as the PS2....whoooooo. Take that Japan.
Of course, since the XBox came out what, 19 months after the PS2's initial launch, I'd have been shocked it if *wasn't* more powerful than the PS2 :rolleyes

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I think Sony already started to make a profit on the PS2 because of the units sold and the software sold. MS was originally not supposed to make a profit for around 5 years (predicted by some group) but then MS said it was false. Each company (Nintendo, MS, Sony) loses money on each unit sold, but Nintendo loses the least and MS loses the most.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
After hearing all of Sony's hype about the PS2, I am not about to believe that the chip in the PS3 will be "1000 times more powerful"

I remember when Sony were dropping hints that the PS2 was going to be 1000 times more powerful than the PS1. Every manufacturer hypes their new hardware up, but Sony tends to take it to extremes.

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
Sean, if the PS3 *is* based on IBMs CELL technology, YOU CAN BET YOUR BOTTOM DOLLAR the PS3 will be *at least* 1000 times more powerful than the Emotion Engine as CELL is designed to have *Teraflops* of computing power!!!!
Sofar, IBM alone has spent HUNDREDS of millions of dollars and many, many man years on the CELL project before SCE and Toshiba even entered the picture (it is designed to be an "IBM Blue Gene-on-a-chip)and they [IBM]have committed an additional $400 million to the CELL joint project (whose collective budget will top ten figures, easily)....
I am not a fan of SCE at all, but I can tell you right now the computing power of CELL is NO JOKE!!!
http://www-916.ibm.com/press/prnews....256A0D0056C7AC
http://www.cio.com/archive/110101/et...t_content.html
http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/ne...694855,00.html
of processing power.
Here is an intresting thread over at beyond3D that discusses the CELL CPU in PS3:
http://www.beyond3d.com/messageview....&threadid=1710

Troy LaMont

Supporting Actor
Kelly,
Very, very good reading. I was in the dark about this technolgy prior to your post. Thanks!
But my problem is now worrying how long it will be before the next bigger and badder console will make it's appearance?!
I'm always looking at the horizon and wondering what the next generation of console will bring (me). The XBox definitely receives my regards as THE best console ever! But, how long will that last?
If everything about the 'Cell' chip/technology is true, then we are in for some gosh-darned outrageously realistic games in widescreen high-definition 7.1 sound!!!!!
YES, BRING ON THE FUTURE BABY! :D
Troy

Kelly Scott Rickards

Stunt Coordinator
The CELL/PS3 is nothing you should be concerned about yet as it will not ship in Japan until 2005 and won't launch in the US until late 2006...

If you live in the UK or the rest of Europe, then you may be talking about 2007!!!!!

Without question, PS3 will offer unreal performance (should be able to saturate the screen with pixel-sized polys many times over, even with a QXGA display!!!) but even Sony and IBM admit that engineering the Development Software for CELL will be a HERCULEIAN task and I have spoken to 2 seperate developers and they both voiced the same concerns about programming software for this beast...

It wouldn't surprise me if Brian has some of the same concernes about this very issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks