What's new

Playstation 2 --Disc Read Error -- Help (1 Viewer)

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
In the last 2 weeks, my Playstation2, which my boys use extensively, has been having trouble reading movies. Most PS2 games read okay, but occasionally, it will refuse to read a game too. It was bought when it first came out.

Any advice? I've always thought those commercial cleaners are all gimmick and no substance, but if you can recommend one that worked for you, I'll give it a try.

I did buy a can of compressed air and sprayed it in there, which seemed to help for a day or so, but now the problem is back.

Sean Eldridge

Second Unit
If it's movies and some games your PS2 must be having trouble with DVD based media. Becoming pretty common with early PS2's, like mine. I emailed Sony tech support and they fixed it for free since I the defect wasn't my fault. I don't think that a cleaner will fix it.

Sean

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Either try to use compressed air or a lens-cleaning disc. If those don't work, call Sony and they'll fix it for free so long as you haven't cracked it open (and don't tell them if you have used third-party unlicensed devices).

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
When mine had major problems reading games I opened mine up and cleaned the lens with a cotton swab that was a little moist with lukewarm water, works just as good as new. I got my PS2 on launch too.

Carlos Mendoza

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a can of Air Duster and gave the system a good spraying. Lots of dust came out.

Seems to be working fine now! Thanks all for the advice and tips.

Chad Ellinger

Second Unit
Definitely give Sony's tech support a call. My launch PS2 exhibited the same problem about 6 months ago, and they replaced it for free.

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
i fixed two of my friends PS2s by just opening them up and cleaning the lens with a cotton swab...really easy to do....only tricky part is the sticker that you need to take off

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks