Playstation 2 --Disc Read Error -- Help

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Carlos Mendoza, Jun 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

In the last 2 weeks, my Playstation2, which my boys use extensively, has been having trouble reading movies. Most PS2 games read okay, but occasionally, it will refuse to read a game too. It was bought when it first came out.

Any advice? I've always thought those commercial cleaners are all gimmick and no substance, but if you can recommend one that worked for you, I'll give it a try.

I did buy a can of compressed air and sprayed it in there, which seemed to help for a day or so, but now the problem is back.

2. Sean Eldridge

Sean Eldridge Second Unit

If it's movies and some games your PS2 must be having trouble with DVD based media. Becoming pretty common with early PS2's, like mine. I emailed Sony tech support and they fixed it for free since I the defect wasn't my fault. I don't think that a cleaner will fix it.

Sean

3. Fredster

Fredster Stunt Coordinator

Dust is most likely the problem. CD cleaners with the little brushes will usually fix this.

Optionally, you could open the case and clean the lens. Quite a few guides and boards on the WWW about doing that. Violates any warranty and is a bit risky of course.

See the guide at:
    http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/ps2/f...read_error.txt

4. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Either try to use compressed air or a lens-cleaning disc. If those don't work, call Sony and they'll fix it for free so long as you haven't cracked it open (and don't tell them if you have used third-party unlicensed devices).

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

When mine had major problems reading games I opened mine up and cleaned the lens with a cotton swab that was a little moist with lukewarm water, works just as good as new. I got my PS2 on launch too.

6. Carlos Mendoza

Carlos Mendoza Stunt Coordinator

I bought a can of Air Duster and gave the system a good spraying. Lots of dust came out.

Seems to be working fine now! Thanks all for the advice and tips.

7. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

Definitely give Sony's tech support a call. My launch PS2 exhibited the same problem about 6 months ago, and they replaced it for free.

8. Jason Wilcox

Jason Wilcox Supporting Actor

i fixed two of my friends PS2s by just opening them up and cleaning the lens with a cotton swab...really easy to do....only tricky part is the sticker that you need to take off